logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2019-05-23 05:31:46 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

  Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2003

  virus: I have a good idea
ę previous next Ľ
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: virus: I have a good idea  (Read 5236 times)
David Lucifer
Archon
*****

Posts: 2626
Reputation: 8.98
Rate David Lucifer



Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
virus: I have a good idea
« on: 2003-11-23 03:23:36 »
Reply with quote

Is it possible for a skeptic to be born again? Can a scientist
have a revelation? Can an engineer have an epiphany?
The answer is yes, when you have an idea that is so powerful,
so true, and so right, that it changes the way you see everything.

I have an idea like that. It is infinitely simple and yet at the
same time it is infinitely complex. How can this be true? It has
infinite complexity in that it would take an infinite amount of
information to describe it fully. How much can be said about justice,
truth, reason, beauty, and how they are all related before you exhaust
the subject? The answer is an infinity, the idea can be endlessly
elaborated, and yet it stems from a simplicity that is practically
impossible to describe. I call it Radiance.

Is Radiance a new god? No, Radiance is an idea, not a person.
Persons have minds, and by virtue of the fact, have ideas.
Radiance is an idea, it has no mind, but it lives because minds
have it. Through Radiance, we become god-like, in the good sense
of the word. Through Radiance we seek knowledge, we use reason,
vision and empathy to combat the forces that oppose Radiance.
If Radiance is to become, it is through the minds that embrace it.

I have a good idea and now you have it too. Think about it.


---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged
metahuman
Heretic
***

Gender: Male
Posts: 212
Reputation: 2.73
Rate metahuman




MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-23 04:05:50 »
Reply with quote

[[ author reputation (2.73) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Kid-A
Initiate
***

Gender: Male
Posts: 133
Reputation: 5.80
Rate Kid-A





View Profile E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-24 18:16:45 »
Reply with quote

mmmm Radiance

Well put David.
It's been a while, but Radiance is the reason I am here, the reason why we are all here, Radiance is the core of the community, the epicentre of Virus, the *idea*.

'Virus: what does it mean to you?'
* Set by Tywick on Sat Nov 22 23:15:58

Radiance
Report to moderator   Logged

You're probably wondering why i'm here, well so am I, so am I.
metahuman
Heretic
***

Gender: Male
Posts: 212
Reputation: 2.73
Rate metahuman




MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-24 19:16:29 »
Reply with quote

[[ author reputation (2.73) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Kid-A
Initiate
***

Gender: Male
Posts: 133
Reputation: 5.80
Rate Kid-A





View Profile E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-24 19:30:58 »
Reply with quote

yes metahuman, that's lovely.

Well done,
Congratulations!
You have just won a prize!
lets all state the obvious shall we;

Metahuman, that is very very sad.

Okey Dokey lets compare Scientology with the Church Of Virus shall we?

where is hkhenson when you need him?.... oh yes thats right, Canada....

sheesh
Report to moderator   Logged

You're probably wondering why i'm here, well so am I, so am I.
metahuman
Heretic
***

Gender: Male
Posts: 212
Reputation: 2.73
Rate metahuman




MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-24 19:46:08 »
Reply with quote

[[ author reputation (2.73) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon
*****

Posts: 2626
Reputation: 8.98
Rate David Lucifer



Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-25 09:10:53 »
Reply with quote

[metahuman] I'm showing you why these things should be avoided unless, of course, you want the Church of Virus to be a cult.

[Lucifer] If Virus is a cult just because it is based around a good idea, then I don't think we can avoid it. Personally I would use different criteria for identifying cults.
Report to moderator   Logged
metahuman
Heretic
***

Gender: Male
Posts: 212
Reputation: 2.73
Rate metahuman




MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-25 12:36:04 »
Reply with quote

[[ author reputation (2.73) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon
*****

Posts: 2626
Reputation: 8.98
Rate David Lucifer



Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-26 09:57:09 »
Reply with quote

[metahuman] Radiance is not a virtue nor a sin. It is a degree of being. This is how you described it.

[Lucifer] Radiance is not a virtue or a sin or a degree of being. It is an idea. The virtues are virtues by virtue of the fact (heh) that they are aspects of Radiance. The sins are sins because embracing them will lead you away from Radiance.

[metahuman] Scientology uses "Clear" as their degree of being. Radiance, Enlightenment (as in Buddhism), and Clear are all too dramatic and retain features of a dream world.

[Lucifer] Don't forget that Christians aspire to a state of grace and salvation. What is the alternative to having a state of being to aspire to? Apathy?

[metahuman] The following is excerpted from one of my papers. As usual, new ideas must be analyzed using SWOT. If that new idea affects how the product is marketed, it must be looked at more closely.

[Lucifer] I agree with your description of branding. I agree we have to design our brand carefully. I don't see how we can avoid promoting good ideas just because other religions (that we may not agree with) also try to promote their own ideas.
Report to moderator   Logged
simul
Adept
****

Gender: Male
Posts: 614
Reputation: 7.31
Rate simul



I am a lama.
simultaneous zoneediterik
View Profile WWW
Re: virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-26 11:28:44 »
Reply with quote

Radiance is, in some ways, the reverse of apathy.
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged

First, read Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", and then read http://electionmethods.org.
prometheus
Adept
**

Gender: Male
Posts: 37
Reputation: 7.28
Rate prometheus



Where's the fire?

View Profile WWW
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-26 12:35:50 »
Reply with quote

Radiance and Flow.

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has studied creativity and the process of Flow which is a state that creative people enter when they are at their most productive.

This seems quite relevant to the concept of Radiance.

Books by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi about this topic.

Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention (This one I have read and it is good.)

The Evolving Self (Seems very Virian.)
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement With Everyday Life (Masterminds Series)

Most recent

Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning

Report to moderator   Logged
metahuman
Heretic
***

Gender: Male
Posts: 212
Reputation: 2.73
Rate metahuman




MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #11 on: 2003-11-26 13:25:37 »
Reply with quote

[[ author reputation (2.73) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon
*****

Posts: 2626
Reputation: 8.98
Rate David Lucifer



Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re: Re:virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #12 on: 2003-11-26 20:10:04 »
Reply with quote

metahuman wrote:
> This Olde English rubbish of capitalizing words that shouldn't be
> capitalized is obnoxious. Next we'll be referring to David as "He"
> and "Him." 

Radiance is capitalized because it is a proper name like Lucifer.

> I don't agree with The Brights or the perception of them as elitist
> atheists. David, I know that you are also a Bright, but please don't
> force Brightism into the Church of Virus. If you want to be just a
> Bright, shutdown this Church, and move into The Brights. 

Whatever you say, metahuman.
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon
*****

Posts: 2626
Reputation: 8.98
Rate David Lucifer



Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re: virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #13 on: 2003-11-26 20:14:07 »
Reply with quote

Erik Aronesty wrote:
> Radiance is, in some ways, the reverse of apathy.

Yes, and the opposite of hypocrisy and dogma too.

Radiance is the antithesis of many other sins we haven't yet
added to the official roster: deception, cynicism, betrayal,
condescension, spite, perhaps even ignorance.
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged
Corey A Cook
Magister
**

Gender: Male
Posts: 20
Reputation: 6.55
Rate Corey A Cook





View Profile
Re: virus: I have a good idea
« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-02 20:39:07 »
Reply with quote

Erik Aronesty wrote:
> Radiance is, in some ways, the reverse of apathy.

David Lucifer replied:
>Yes, and the opposite of hypocrisy and dogma too.
>
>Radiance is the antithesis of many other sins we haven't
>yet added to the official roster: deception, cynicism,
>betrayal, condescension, spite, perhaps even ignorance.

Deception isn't a sin.

And why do you feel that cynicism should be one?  It seems to me that it might even fall into the Virtue category.

CA Cook
Report to moderator   Logged

The One Universal Truth:
Sometimes, You're Wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Church of Virus BBS | Powered by YaBB SE
© 2001-2002, YaBB SE Dev Team. All Rights Reserved.

Please support the CoV.
Valid HTML 4.01! Valid CSS! RSS feed