logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 17:23:32 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

Saint Alan Turing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Saint Alan Turing  (Read 31678 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Saint Alan Turing
« Reply #60 on: 2011-03-08 07:05:25 »

After more than a year Hermit finally notices that my point is (as it always has been) against homophobia (or at least the extent of homophobia that lead to Alan Turing's trial) instead of anything in particular about homosexuality.

Quote:
*For the purposes of determination of whether "dogma" is involved, arguments that adopting a homophilic or at least anti-homophobic stance is a good thing (which, in the current social milieu,  they arguably are) are, of course, quite irrelevant.

Whatever Hermit wishes to do with that now is his business, but I'm finally satisfied that he understands me. I would also add that I agree with Alan Turing at his own trial where he asserted that he had done nothing wrong, but that's not such a compelling issue as we don't require perfection out of our saints whatever anyone thinks that is.

re: my allegation of spamming - I accept Hermit's explanation this time. All further discussions of past ad hominems belong on the free for all thread http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=43681 (3/13/2011 note - issues regarding the proper etiquette in posting chat logs to the BBS are dealt with here -->FAQ BBS Etiquette Collection)

So to return to the topic of St. Alan Turing, I offer the first part of ZJ's memorial to Alan Turing as reflective of the kinds of reasons Alan Turing was illuminated by the Church of the Virus.

Quote:
[Zinnia Jones] Alan Turing was one of the most brilliant minds of the twentieth century. His research in a wide variety of fields, and his uncanny ability to make new connections between them, led him to develop revolutionary concepts that have changed the face of our world.

Born in London in 1912, Turing showed an early affinity for science, mathematics and foreign languages, and an irrepressible fondness for scientific inquiry. At university, he began studying the nature of computation, and ultimately created his "universal machine"—an extremely simple conceptual device that was nevertheless capable of running any computer program that could be written. Turing machines would eventually become one of the most useful models for the exploration of computer science.

As World War II escalated, Turing worked for the British government as part of the effort to break the codes of Nazi Germany and read their encrypted messages. He designed an electromechanical device that would logically deduce the settings of Germany's Enigma machines, allowing analysts to reverse the code and uncover their battle plans. Hundreds of these devices were constructed, and the intel they acquired shifted the course of the war towards victory for the Allies.

After the war, Turing continued his work on constructing computers, and was drawn to the field of artificial intelligence. He posed the question of whether a machine could have a mind, and believed it was theoretically possible for computers to think in the same ways that humans do. He developed a test for an AI that relied on whether it could fool an observer in conversation into thinking it was another person. A simplified version of the Turing test is now in common use online as a way of distinguishing humans from automated systems. In his later years, Turing became interested in the mathematics underlying the formation of biological structures, and published a paper on reaction-diffusion systems as a model for morphogenesis.

To this day, Turing is remembered as the founder of computer science, a man whose work was pivotal in the defeat of Nazi Germany, and whose exploration of artificial intelligence has had wide-ranging philosophical implications. A thinker, a dreamer, a constant visionary, Turing is rightfully celebrated as one of the greatest scientists in history.

I offered the second part earlier to address Hermit's objections, but now that he seems to at least understand my position, I think it's now relevant to return to Saint Alan Turing as described in our CoV wiki: http://www.churchofvirus.org/wiki/AlanTuring

Quote:
Alan Mathison Turing, OBE, FRS (23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954), was an English mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst, and computer scientist. He was influential in the development of computer science and providing a formalisation of the concept of the algorithm and computation with the Turing machine, playing a significant role in the creation of the modern computer. (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing)

For his monumental achievements and vast influence the Church of Virus voted for Turing's illumination as a VirianSaint on March 21, 2010. Meridion vote.

Often considered the founder of computer science, Alan Turing's work in mathematics led him to envision the first digital computer. The Turing Machine would read a series of ones and zeroes, interpreting them to perform an ordered and repeatable sequence of steps. His machine introduced the concept of the multi-purpose computer. His concepts introduced the algorithm as a means of solving any problem by way of a sequence of well-conceived steps.

Turing's interest in biological processes and his belief that a machine could be created to mimic the process of the human brain ushered in the era of artificial intelligence. He conceived of the Turing Test, a method of proving or disproving the presence of intelligence in a machine. If an objective observer, by way of questions posed from a keyboard, could not reliably identify a machine from a person, the machine would have passed the Turing Test. Successful achievement of the test remains a primary goal of today's artificial intelligence researchers.

During World War II, Turing was an instrumental member of the team from the Department of Communications in Great Britain that deciphered German codes generated by the Enigma machine.

In recognition of his monumental achievements in the advancement and realization of computers and computer science, significant contributors to the field are recognized by the A.M. Turing Award. Bestowed by the Association for Computing Machinery and sponsored by Intel, the award recognizes major contributions of lasting significance to the computer field. Its list of recipients constitutes a veritable Who's Who of computer science.

Turing was awarded an undergraduate degree in mathematics from King's College, Cambridge, in 1934. He received a Ph.D. from Princeton in logic, algebra, and number theory in 1938. He was a fellow of King's College and of the Royal Society, and a recipient of the Order of the British Empire (OBE). (from http://www.sis.pitt.edu/~mbsclass/hall_of_fame/turing.html)

Turing never described himself as a philosopher, but his 1950 paper “Computing Machinery and Intelligence” is one of the most frequently cited in modern philosophical literature. It gave a fresh approach to the traditional mind-body problem, by relating it to the mathematical concept of computability he himself had introduced in his 1936-7 paper “On computable numbers, with an application to the Entscheidungsproblem.” His work can be regarded as the foundation of computer science and of the artificial intelligence program. (from http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/turing/)

The CoV wiki above is what we had at the time we closed the vote on St. Turing, so that is the actual doctrine of the Church of Virus as it stands today. Anything extra is mere conversation.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-13 11:08:36 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 2011-03-12 13:01:09 »

Alan Turing’s Patterns in Nature, and Beyond
By Brandon Keim  February 22, 2011  |  7:00 am  |  Categories: Biology

Images: Left: Alan Turing. (Ohio State University) Right: Patterns generated by a computer simulation of the Turing model. each is made by the same basic equation, with its parameters slightly tweaked. (Shigeru Kondo & Takashi Miura/Science)

Introduction: Near the end of his life, the great mathematician Alan Turing wrote his first and last paper on biology and chemistry, about how a certain type of chemical reaction ought to produce many patterns seen in nature.

Called "The Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis," it was an entirely theoretical work. But in following decades, long after Turing tragically took his own life in 1954, scientists found his speculations to be reality.

First found in chemicals in dishes, then in the stripes and spirals and whorls of animals, so-called Turing patterns abounded. Some think that Turing patterns may actually extend to ecosystems, even to galaxies. That's still speculation — but a proof published Feb. 11 in Science of Turing patterns in a controlled three-dimensional chemical system are even more suggestion of just how complex the patterns can be.

On the following pages, Wired.com takes you on a Turing pattern tour.

full article: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/02/turing-patterns/?pid=978&viewall=true

« Last Edit: 2011-03-13 01:03:43 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #62 on: 2011-04-03 19:20:34 »

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2011/04/03/alan-turing-documentary/
Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 2011-04-03 20:55:38 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2011-04-03 19:20:34   

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2011/04/03/alan-turing-documentary/

Thanks Lucifer,

This looks like a documentary which I look forward to. It seems present the genius of Alan Turing in a straightforward manner, the millions of lives saved through his code breaking, his role in pioneering computer science, as well as the controversies of his death in ways that cause us to ask what more could have been.

Quote:
TURING DOCUMENTARY
Alan Turing is one of the most important scientists who ever lived. He set in motion the digital revolution and his World War II code breaking helped save two million lives. Yet few people alive today have ever heard his name or know his story. A documentary film is being developed to change this. 100 years after his birth, an international production team is set to take viewers on a journey to rediscover the man and the mystery.

Alan Turing was a flamboyant Technicolor genius yet instead of accolades and respect, he faced prosecution by the British government because he was gay. In 1954, Turing committed suicide at age 41 after being forced to undergo hormone therapy to “fix” his sexual orientation. He  left behind a lasting legacy and lingering questions about what else he might have accomplished if society had embraced his unique genius instead of rejecting it.

Research and development for this feature-length drama documentary is underway; with plans to reach many millions of viewers around the world online and through broadcast and theatrical release of the film.

http://www.turingfilm.com/

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: 2011-04-04 23:43:07 »

I've come back to this documentary website and think it presents an opportunity for the Church of Virus given our recent illumination of Alan Turing. The one hundredth birthday of Alan Turing lands on June 23rd 2012, a year and some months from now. The documentary website mentions this in their scheduling concerns for their project, and I think this provides the Church of Virus ample opportunity to attract and nurture some discussion and interest in Alan Turing here on our BBS and website. I'm going to paste in some material from the documentary website now and then here on our Alan Turing thread. I think should make a suitable project for the Church of Virus to discuss, promote and get involved in.

http://www.turingfilm.com/about/overview

Quote:
OVERVIEW
Project Details
The centerpiece of this ambitious project is a definitive feature-length drama documentary shot in HD focusing on the life and legacy of Alan Turing. A comprehensive marketing and distribution plan will leverage opportunities for broadcast, theatrical, VOD, DVD, and educational distribution of the film to reach millions of viewers around the world . The website accompanying the documentary will go beyond the scope of the film; offering extended interviews with Turing experts and a more in-depth analysis of his life and legacy. Additionally, we will develop a comprehensive package to assist educators – including a DVD of the film, a teacher’s guide, suggested reading list, and a specially constructed resource window on the website. Taken together, this comprehensive cross-platform venture will stand for years to come as a detailed, invaluable, and evolving reference source on Alan Turing.

Alan Turing
The film will appeal to audiences the world over because Turing’s life story still fascinates, inspires, and enrages people. We are developing a thoroughly researched, no-holds-barred treatment of Turing’s place in history by looking not only at his astonishing life story but at the continuing resonance of his life 100 years after his birth. Turing’s personal story is relevant to all. His story is a parable, one as relevant today and as inspirational as any modern tale or Greek myth. In the stark black and white confines of the 1940s and early 1950s he dared to be different, to follow his own genius rather than the establishment view of what ought to be done. As a consequence, his extraordinary mind brought into being three new fields of scientific endeavor in spite of his environment rather than encouraged by it. 100 years later, Turing’s story is one of self-belief and anti-establishment courage in the face of government persecution and creative suffocation, a story that viewers around the world will relate to.

Why now?
The time is long overdue for an ambitious and definitive film like this about Alan Turing. With dozens of events planned in the US, the UK and around the world to mark the 2012 centenary of Turing’s birth, now is the ideal time for this project.

The Film
The Genius of Alan Turing (working title) has an ambitious scope; a feature-length drama documentary that details the highs and lows of Turing’s life, tracking his extraordinary accomplishments, his government persecution through to his tragic death in 1954. Documentary elements will provide important context and informational nourishment. The film will tell the story of a man who went from wartime hero, to vilified and mistreated social outcast, to largely forgotten genius. The pitch and content is a mix of Hitchcockian intrigue, Shakespearean tragedy, and fly by the seat of your pants Hollywood plotlines. This entertaining and informative film will move beyond archival film and old photos to offer a fresh perspective on Turing’s life, death, and legacy.

The Production Team
An international production team will bring Turing into the 21st Century with fresh evidence, modern perspectives, and new voices. The producers have experience transforming complex scientific subjects into award-winning entertaining cinematic epics. The team also includes the preeminent Alan Turing expert in the world, his biographer Dr. Andrew Hodges.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 2011-06-26 12:13:02 »

A bit belated by me as I was a bit busy last week with work, but I wanted to post it anyways.

ALAN TURING’S BIRTHDAY

Quote:
Alan Turing was born 99 years ago today on 23 June 1912 in London.  He was born at what is now the Collanade Hotel located near the Warwick Avenue tube station in Little Venice. It’s appropriate on this day to think about Turing’s many contributions to our world. A short life, but a long legacy!

http://www.turingfilm.com/alan-turings-birthday

Also noticed at http://www.turingfilm.com/obama-turing last month Barack Obama mentioned Alan Turing in his speech to parliament.

Barack Obama name-checks Manchester and Alan Turing in historic speech to both houses of Parliament

Deborah Linton
May 25, 2011

Quote:
Mr Obama was the first US president to be granted the rare honour of addressing both houses of Parliament.

"I have known few greater honours than the opportunity to address the mother of parliaments at Westminster Hall," he said. "I am told that the last three speakers here have been the Pope, Her Majesty the Queen, and Nelson Mandela – which is either a very high bar or the beginning of a very funny joke."

Icebreaker over, he used the speech on the second day of his official visit to reaffirm the relationship between the US and Britain.

He said: "Even as more nations take on the responsibilities of global leadership, our alliance will remain indispensable to the goal of a century which is more peaceful, more prosperous and more just."

Among the audience were David Cameron and predecessors Gordon Brown, Tony Blair and Sir John Major.

Mr Obama also hailed another Manchester great – the ‘father of computing’ Alan Turing.

He said: "From Newton and Darwin, to Edison and Einstein, from Alan Turing to Steve Jobs, we have led the world in our commitment to science and cutting-edge research."

full article: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1421850_barack-obama-name-checks-manchester-and-alan-turing-in-historic-speech-to-both-houses-of-parliament

Mo Enzyme

Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #66 on: 2011-07-07 12:44:45 »

[Blunderov] Steve Jobs? In this company? Hmmm.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: 2011-07-07 13:21:49 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2011-07-07 12:44:45   

I figure he must be paid up in his various Organizing for Amercica/Re-Elect Obama accounts

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 2011-07-07 13:29:01 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2011-07-07 13:21:49   

Quote from: Blunderov on 2011-07-07 12:44:45   

I figure he must be paid up in his various Organizing for Amercica/Re-Elect Obama accounts

Truly that's an otherwise unwarranted comparison. Steve Jobs doesn't hold a candle to Alan Turing. I mean seriously . . . wtf?

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 2011-08-08 14:39:15 »

THE QUEEN HONORS TURING & OTHER CODEBREAKERS
http://www.turingfilm.com/the-queen-honors-turing-other-codebreakers

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh unveiled a monument on Friday at Bletchley Park to honor the men and women whose codebreaking helped defeat Nazi Germany.

The Queen toured the facility and met with people who worked at Bletchley Park during World War II.  In a speech after unveiling an eight foot monument, the Queen said, “This was the place of geniuses such as Alan Turing. But these wonderfully clever mathematicians, language graduates and engineers were complemented by people with different sets of skills, harnessing that brilliance through methodical, unglamorous, hard slog. Thus the secret of Bletchley’s success was that it became a home to all the talents.”  Read more from The Independent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFCaEFf5zg8

http://www.turingfilm.com/the-queen-honors-turing-other-codebreakers
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/queen-hails-wartime-codebreakers-2314335.html
« Last Edit: 2011-08-08 14:40:21 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: 2012-01-01 13:13:15 »

Apparently the film has already been broadcasting in the UK with another episode scheduled for Jan 13th.

http://www.turingfilm.com/turing-film-attracts-1-5-million-viewers-in-the-uk

Also there is an online petition for Alan Turing's pardon.

http://www.turingfilm.com/online-petition-seeks-pardon-for-turing

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: 2012-06-02 18:40:54 »

Alan Turing centennial June 23rd

http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=43881;start=0;boardseen=1

Mo Enzyme

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: