logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 23:57:20 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

Alan Turing centennial June 23rd
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Alan Turing centennial June 23rd  (Read 3497 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Alan Turing centennial June 23rd
« on: 2012-06-02 18:23:19 »

This month one hundred years ago Alan Turing, our third illuminated saint, was born on June 23rd. I've created this thread to memorialize and discuss his life. What does Alan Turing mean to you?
« Last Edit: 2012-06-02 18:39:45 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Alan Turing centennial June 23rd
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-02 18:44:35 »

Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-11 18:38:40 »

Listening to the way people in the world of technology talk about Alan Turing, it's difficult to believe that the English computer scientist isn't more of a household name.

"The man challenged everyone's thinking," says Vint Cerf, Google's chief Internet evangelist, in an interview with Network World. "He was so early in the history of computing, and yet so incredibly visionary about it."

More at http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/061112-turing-260039.html
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-19 13:18:06 »

The life and achievements of Alan Turing - the mathematician, codebreaker, computer pioneer, artificial intelligence theoretician, and gay/cultural icon - are being celebrated to mark what would have been his 100th birthday on 23 June.

To mark the occasion the BBC has commissioned a series of essays to run across the week, starting with this overview of Turing's legacy by Vint Cerf.

More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17662585
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-23 01:10:40 »

Well, this is it. 100 years ago today, an infant . . . neonate . . .  named "Alan Turing" began to find his way around the world. About a hundred years later we recognize him as the third saint of the Church of Virus via Meridion and Radiance. It would have been nicer had he lived longer, but since our saints are necessarily dead . . . . so be it.

Mo Enzyme

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-24 19:01:39 »

The hidden history of Alan Turing is just a particularly bizarre example — one we can expect to become much better known during the 2012 centenary of his birth.

The mental checklist of things that make Turing remembered includes:

- Being just 24 years old when he came up with the idea of the "stored program" computer, basically the blueprint for every computer in existence today;

- His leading role at the secret decoding centre at Bletchley Park, helping shorten the Second World War by two years with his groundbreaking involvement in building and fully exploiting decoding machines;

- His seminal role in the actual designing and programming the early computers after the war, and his still important influence on how computer scientists see artificial intelligence;

- The innovative and original work in bringing mathematics to bear on important problems in biology and medicine

- And his disgraceful neglect, and prosecution for being gay, in 1950s Manchester.

But for many of us the peculiar resonance between the personal and the scientific makes Turing specially iconic. And the visionary form this interaction took gives Turing's writings a relevance and impact which continues to this day. There are many facets to

Turing's life that echo through mathematics, computing, physics and biology, through philosophy, and through economics, the humanities and the creative arts.

More at http://goo.gl/0oAOc
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-25 12:46:33 »

What happened to Turing's thinking machines?
By Nick Heath | June 22, 2012, 6:51am PDT

Summary: Artificial intelligence is still a long way from delivering the human intelligence in robot form that has long been common in science fiction.

More at http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/what-happened-to-turings-thinking-machines/80639
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2012-07-10 02:11:25 »

http://oecdinsights.org/2012/06/25/turings-economics-a-birth-centennial-homage/

Turing’s Economics: A Birth Centennial Homage

Quote:
The “Five Turing Classics” – On Computable Numbers, Systems of Logic, Computing Machinery and Intelligence, The Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis, and  Solvable and Unsolvable Problems– should be read together to understand why there can be something called Turing’s Economics. Herbert Simon, one of the founding fathers of computational cognitive science, was deeply indebted to Turing in the way he tried to fashion what I have called “computable economics”, acknowledging that “If we hurry, we can catch up to Turing on the path he pointed out to us so many years ago.”

Mo Enzyme

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: