logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-29 21:59:19 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Free For All

Help! I'm new here!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Help! I'm new here!  (Read 2733 times)
Vanacaro
Neophyte

Nothing escapes time....nothing

View Profile E-Mail
Help! I'm new here!
« on: 2003-08-06 10:02:00 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged

those that love will learn not everything dies...
those that die will learn not everything loves...
those that live forever will learn that it is alright to love the dead...
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Help! I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-06 14:17:55 »

Let me be first to extend a warm welcome here. I'm looking forward to reading your comments on the CoV. Feel free to make suggestions too.

That is a most unusual name you have chosen for yourself. What does it mean?
Vanacaro
Neophyte

Nothing escapes time....nothing

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-06 18:47:10 »

those that love will learn not everything dies...
those that die will learn not everything loves...
those that live forever will learn that it is alright to love the dead...
Feagwath
Adept

Rate Feagwath

20911521 20911521 Feagwath
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-22 03:02:21 »

I've been reading this stuff for a few years now, and can tell you the CoV is what you make of it.  I sit around and don't reply much, or read much for that matter.  But I can see the great potential here, it pains me when I think of it, and I don't know why.  Most of the time, I can't bring myself to voice anything; As I once heard something of this sort:  Think three times before you speak; And finally when you do decide, speak only once in every ten occasions.  As you will learn, some here would greatly benefit us all with this advice, but some speak little enough already.

Sing to me, my spongy ones,
Of birds, and bats, and things
And all the while they'd be hung
By necks and feets and wings...
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-22 06:22:16 »

Quote from: Royale on 2003-08-06 10:02:00   

Hi! I'm Royale Quinn and I'm new here. I found this site this morning and already have met some people and have posted some of my poems on the board. I really was surprised when I first saw this site. From what I know about CoV I really want to become part it because I believe in science more than anything else. Everyone is really friendly. The virtues and the sins are what I have been living by before I even heard of virus. I don't exactly know all about it and that's why I'm writing this. For those of you who are really nice...can you send me an email or write a message for me about this religion and so that I could have someone to ask questions to and just to meet new people cuz that's always fun.

My email is RockRoyale@hotmail.com

Thanx
royale

Royale,

I've been in this virtual puppet motel for about six or so years.  We get all types in here.  We have evolved considerably as some of us have met IRL on more than just a few occasions.  I personally have met six posters IRL through Church of the Virus.  I have also talked with more over the phone, and had plenty of interesting conversations both onlist and privately.  It has really helped me to have this community of conversation where reason and science are so highly valued, and where religious and cultural discussions can take new directions as memes and memetics become better understood.

Some of the neat stuff I have picked up from the Church of the Virus include: pancritical rationalism; transhumanism; memes and memetics; Us and Themism (UTism); Phaith and a greater appreciation for empathy and vision as virtues (I have always held reason as a virtue pre-CoV for as long as I can remember); Also lots of neat scientific articles which others share occassionally.  A certain amount of fair use excerpts from Scientific American sources along with a personal summary, reaction, or opinion, from the poster has become a time honored tradition here at the CoV and a form of sharing that generally all here seem to appreciate.  Rhino and Walter have especially pioneered and excelled at this form of participation.

Welcome aboard.

-Jake

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-22 06:32:08 »

Quote from: Feagwath on 2003-08-22 03:02:21   

I've been reading this stuff for a few years now, and can tell you the CoV is what you make of it.  I sit around and don't reply much, or read much for that matter.  But I can see the great potential here, it pains me when I think of it, and I don't know why.  Most of the time, I can't bring myself to voice anything; As I once heard something of this sort:  Think three times before you speak; And finally when you do decide, speak only once in every ten occasions.  As you will learn, some here would greatly benefit us all with this advice, but some speak little enough already.

I believe that some of the quieter ones (that are actually paying attention) can use to speak up some more, and some of the noisier ones can use a bit more restraint.  I think this is what you are saying as well.  I encourage you to check out the voting booth http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?action=voteIndex and look up the poll on the list rule about flooding.  We could probably use your input on this issue.

-Jake

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2003-09-20 07:37:38 »

An ethusiastic, if belated, welcome.

Best Regards
Blunderov
Pedro
Adept

Rate Pedro

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2003-09-20 19:11:21 »

Ah, welcome to the Church of Virus!

Website | Profile
alahzred
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2003-09-20 22:44:59 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2003-09-21 13:01:21 »

Quote from: alahzred on 2003-09-20 22:44:59   

Just wanted to say hi. I'm afraid I can't be of much help, I'm new here myself. I can say, however, that this is by far the most interesting site I have ever come across. The only thing I don't like about this site is that sometimes, reading the posts on the site, I feel like I should have ridden the short bus to school! I try though, and although I'm afraid I can't contribute much I do learn a lot here. I look forward to reading your poetry!

All contributions are welcome, including and especially constructive criticism. We aim to make our ideas accessible to everyone, so if you don't understand something please consider that a failing on the author's part and ask questions! 
alahzred
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2003-09-23 21:58:21 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #11 on: 2003-09-24 15:13:01 »

Quote from: alahzred on 2003-09-23 21:58:21   

I appreciate the encouragement. The fault is mine, though. Most of you seem to have scientific backgrounds, which I guess is pretty consistent with atheism. I haven't had many classes in science or psychology, though they are both facinating subjects. Hence, many of your discussions are beyond me (at least the technical ones).

One of my heroes is Richard Feynman not least because of his ability to explain complex ideas to just about anyone that would listen. The better you understand a subject, the easier it is to teach it to someone else without the same background.

Quote:

I must admit, I haven't yet considered the age factor. Are you a wise old geezer Dave?

No, but Hermit and Walter Watts are. 

Quote:

Or just a MENSA candidate?

I will confess to being a member of Mensa once. I quit because their idea of an exciting evening was scrabble. I am not making this up.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2003-09-24 15:35:11 »

Quote from: alahzred on 2003-09-23 21:58:21   

I appreciate the encouragement. The fault is mine, though. Most of you seem to have scientific backgrounds, which I guess is pretty consistent with atheism. I haven't had many classes in science or psychology, though they are both facinating subjects. Hence, many of your discussions are beyond me (at least the technical ones).

One of my heroes is Richard Feynman not least because he had the ability to explain complex ideas to just about anyone that would listen. The better you understand a subject, the easier it is to teach it to someone else without the same background.

Quote:

I must admit, I haven't yet considered the age factor. Are you a wise old geezer Dave?

No, but Hermit and Walter are. 

Quote:

Or just a MENSA candidate?

I will confess to being a member of Mensa once. I quit because their idea of an exciting evening was scrabble. I am not making this up.
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2003-09-24 17:09:11 »

And never forget that it is arguably true that the best way to learn anything is to try to teach it effectively. So never be afraid to try to write about things which we might be interested in. There are a lot of people on the CoV who will comment on what you write, and can teach you to sharpen your thinking and communication skills. (Hint: Don't bother if you get dissected for it. Just come back showing you have learned better and that way you will earn our respect).

Good wishes and good luck.

Hermit (COF*)

*Confirmed Old Fart.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
alahzred
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2003-09-29 00:37:19 »

Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: