logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-28 22:43:05 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

South Africa denys Dalai Lama visa, provokes uproar
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: South Africa denys Dalai Lama visa, provokes uproar  (Read 422 times)
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
South Africa denys Dalai Lama visa, provokes uproar
« on: 2009-03-29 04:32:12 »

[letheomaniac] The ANC government has decided to refuse the Dalai Lama a visa to visit South Africa and attend a footballing peace conference if some sort. This has provoked outrage in certain quarters of South African society. I have to say that the most I can muster is a feeble 'meh'. I think that 'spiritual leaders' of all stripes should be refused access to South Africa - today the Dalai Lama, tomorrow the Pope! Let them spread their poison elsewhere - SA is supposed to be a secular society after all. What has everyone's back up (I think) is that the government took this action after being pressurized by the Chinese. Or so the theory goes. It seems likely, although the ANC denies it completely. Whatever - all I have to say on that score is 'never fuck with someone who has a million-man standing army'. Just don't do it. In addition, the Chinese are proceeding with their 'economic colonization' of Africa at quite a pace. They are one of South Africa's top 5 trading partners. If you consider the current condition of the global economy and the fact that they essentially own Zimbabwe (also in our top 5) lock, stock and barrel, pissing them off would be economic suicide. So if the Chinese angle is correct, the ANC have ultimately acted in the interests of this country even though some may perceive their actions as being 'morally incorrect', and while it may smart to be once again under the lash of of a new kind of 'colonial master', the alternative is much worse. Naturally, the bleeding-hearts with whom I have been arguing these points with this week all want to burn me at the stake for daring to think that the Dalai Lama is uncool. I am curious as to what the Virians think of the whole affair...
Report to moderator   Logged

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:South Africa denys Dalai Lama visa, provokes uproar
« Reply #1 on: 2009-03-29 15:04:47 »

Quote:
[letheomaniac] <snip>They are one of South Africa's top 5 trading partners. If you consider the current condition of the global economy and the fact that they essentially own Zimbabwe (also in our top 5) lock, stock and barrel, pissing them off would be economic suicide. <snip>....<snip> Naturally, the bleeding-hearts with whom I have been arguing these points with this week all want to burn me at the stake for daring to think that the Dalai Lama is uncool. I am curious as to what the Virians think of the whole affair...

I'd love some more info on China's hold on Zimbabwe !

As to the Dalai Lama point you've raised; given that Tibet has another Dalai Lama positioned there, it want seem, by the Chinese, I have to wonder how Politics, Tibetan sovereignty and the roving Dalai Lama all play out and what the motivations are. It leaves me puzzled at the least and suspect when I take my tinfoil hat off.

The Meme a float in the West is clearly that Buddhism is good and benign, Mr. Hitchens gave examples in 'God is Not Great' in Japan to the contrary. My pedestrian option is that Buddhism seems fashionable at this time and knocking it is akin to taking candy from a baby or kicking puppy dogs. This hasn't stopped some of my kin from using its methodologies to help navigate through life, I don't get it though; seems to support fuzzy thinking as far as I can tell.

Given the nature of politics and state of the union in SA did they have any choice ? Seems as you say, no.

Cheers

Fritz

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Odd story linking the Dalai Lama and China
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/03/29/internet-spying.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems Canada hasn't realized how much harm China can cause it yet.

National Post
Author: Glen McGregor, Canwest News Service 
Date: March 23, 2009

OTTAWA -- A Tibetan religious figure considered to be a "living Buddha" by Beijing says Prime Minister Stephen Harper's support for the Dalai Lama is offensive to the Chinese people and encourages in Tibet the same kind of separatist sentiments seen in Quebec.

Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak, who was designated a "reincarnated soul boy" under the practices of Tibetan Buddhism in 1950, said he was saddened that Harper met with the exiled spiritual leader.

The 2007 meeting with the Dalai Lama in Ottawa violated the spirit of Canada-Chinese diplomatic relations, he said.

"We have agreed to respect each other's sovereignty, territorial integrity and abide by the principle of one China," he said through an interpreter. "When your prime minister met with someone engaged in separatist activity aimed at splitting China, it was a gesture showing support."

Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak, 58, is also a deputy representing Tibet in China's National People's Congress. He said Canadians would be just as offended if top Chinese leaders met with separatist activists from Quebec.

He was in Ottawa Monday leading a delegation on a public relations tour of Canada and the U.S. that China hopes will put a positive spin on the 50th anniversary of the exile of the Dalai Lama from Tibet

As part of the media blitz, Beijing is pushing March 28 as "Tibet Serf Liberation Day." China contends the Tibetan people were victims of an oppressive theocracy that enslaved them in a system of religious serfdom before "liberation" by Chinese troops.

It is clear, however, that China is still angered by Mr. Harper's meeting with the Dalai Lama, whom Beijing considers a "splitist" and blames for instigating violent demonstrations in Tibet last March. The meeting further soured already strained relations between China and the Harper government.

But Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak's credibility as a spiritual and political leader is dubious, says the Canada Tibet Committee, which considers the Dalai Lama's exiled government the true representatives of the Tibetan people.

"Any good Communist gains elected office in China," said Dermod Travis, the group's executive director.

Contrary to claims made by the Tibetan delegation, the human rights situation in Tibet remains poor, Mr. Travis says.

"There are thousands of Tibetans since last March who have not received fair and open trials, and who do not receive legal counsel, and who have been imprisoned for doing activities we take for granted here."

Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak and his delegation met with House of Commons Speaker Peter Milliken on Monday and were scheduled to meet with the Parliamentary Friends of Tibet on Monday evening.

In 2007, China announced that "living Buddhas" such as Shingtsa Tenzinchodrak must be sanctioned by the Chinese government, a move seen as further political interference by Beijing in the religious life of Tibetans.

The Dalai Lama's supporters blame Beijing for the disappearance of the boy he designated the Panchen Lama, the second highest-ranking figure in Tibetan Buddhism. Beijing later named its own choice for Panchen Lama.

On Monday, two media outlets with a history of antagonism toward the Chinese government complained they had been were barred from an event with living Buddha at the Chinese consulate in Toronto. NDTV and the Epoch Times, both highly supportive of Falun Gong, a spiritual group banned in China, said their reporters were tossed out a press conference held by the Tibetan delegation.

Ottawa Citizen
« Last Edit: 2009-03-29 15:23:50 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2009-03-30 13:17:54 »

Fritz:
Quote:
I'd love some more info on China's hold on Zimbabwe !

[letheomaniac] Propaganda:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-the-fco/country-profiles/sub-saharan-africa/zimbabwe?profile=intRelations&pg=4

<snip> In 2004, Mugabe announced a 'Look East' policy, primarily intended to revive Zimbabwe's economy in the absence of investment from elsewhere. Close relations with China and Iran in particular are being cultivated under this policy, China is now Zimbabwe's second biggest export market (by value) after South Africa, but Chinese investors are reluctant to risk capital in the country.

In November 2007, the Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Bill was passed by Parliament (it has not yet been signed by the President or gazetted as an Act and so is not yet in force). Its aim is to transfer ownership of 51% of foreign owned businesses to local black people. This will further reduce the attractiveness of Zimbabwe as an operating environment foreign business. In addition, the Mining and Minerals Bill, which has similar aims to the Indigenisation Bill, is currently making its way through Parliament.<snip>

[letheomaniac] Interesting, but from an opinion piece:

http://www.talkzimbabwe.com/news/130/ARTICLE/4530/2009-03-25.html

<snip> Zimbabwe, like oil rich Sudan, is at the frontline of an undeclared Cold War over its strategic minerals, which include vast yet to be exploited coal-bed methane gas; the second largest platinum deposits in the world estimated at over $500 billion; huge coal reserves and immense hydroelectric power potential; as well as the geological treasure zone in the Great Dyke region, home to vast deposits of chromium, nickel, copper and gold to mention but a few.

China’s voracious appetite for these mineral resources has resulted in its disbursement to Zimbabwe of soft loans for economic development and no-strings-attached credit, which have left Washington’s usual ploy of IMF and World bank ‘reforms’ high and dry.

Government has used these loans and credits to invest in infrastructure including schools, clinics and transport routes. In direct contrast to typical IMF and World Bank reforms which require a cut in spending on the aforementioned infrastructure.

Why agree to voluntary lower your citizenry’s living standards on the back of exorbitant loans when you can receive virtually interest free loans aimed at investing in development and peoples living standards?

Beijing’s refusal to conform to the norms of imperialist African relations and its disregard for approval from the Bretton Woods institutions prior to dealing with Harare has left Washington smarting and with no choice other than to employ another economic weapon in its arsenal, that of ‘targeted’ sanctions.

However vociferously China may denounce these sanctions in public or private and however consistently it may oppose them at the UN Security Council, the simple fact is that a withdrawal of western corporate tentacles from Zimbabwe has only played into their hands. 

This US retreat has paved the way for China’s advance into its fifth largest trading partner in Africa that is strategically nestled between its two biggest African trading partners, namely Angola and South Africa.

Crucially for China, Zimbabwe also neighbours its flagship infrastructure project on the continent, a transcontinental railroad designed to link Tanzania’s port to oil rich Angola and copper filled Zambia. <snip>

[letheomaniac] I'll keep looking when I have some time, Cool article BTW.

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2009-03-30 17:58:54 »

Thx Letheomaniac ..... sure is endless what I don't know about.

Cheers

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: