logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-14 03:07:30 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

The politics of homophobia in the US
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The politics of homophobia in the US  (Read 329 times)
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
The politics of homophobia in the US
« on: 2008-12-20 22:58:59 »

The U.S. Goes Global With its Anti-Gayness
Posted by John Ridley, Huffington Post at 6:06 AM on December 20, 2008.
full article at: http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/114316/
excerpts:
Quote:
Funny thing about this great land of ours. She's got no problem fighting for what's right (Civil War), but she doesn't always make the simple stand for righteousness (Civil Rights movement).

This past Thursday the United Nations, which excels at issuing proclamations, circulated one that is as marginally effectual as it is symbolically strong. It was just a little ole declaration seeking universal decriminalization of homosexuality.

Wasn't saying Gays could get married.

Wasn't saying Gays could show up at your house and read your kids Heather Has Two Mommies.

It was just saying, you know: "Hey, Iran, when you're done with that show trial, could you possibly not hang those two guys who engaged in a love whose name you dare not speak."

Quote:
But the U.S. did not sign the declaration.

Mo: although the article continues into a more alarmist take on this, and perhaps a more expansionist view of what signing this would actually mean in the US, I think this Bush position leaves Obama in an easy position to sign such a proclamation, while expressing no opinion or even the opinion that it has nothing to do with gay marriage, leaving him in the great political position of both acknowledging gay rights while not extending this to gay marriage. Of course over time this connection will probably be made, but probably not during the Obama administration. He will facilitate it, but won't be held responsible for it during his administration. Just my prophetic take on this. I'd be interested to hear other PoV's on that.

Much love,

-Mo

« Last Edit: 2008-12-20 23:01:51 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: