logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-13 22:29:06 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

Bush in a word
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Bush in a word  (Read 627 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Bush in a word
« on: 2008-12-20 13:43:22 »

source: Pew Research

Report to moderator   Logged
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Bush in a word
« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-20 19:33:48 »

[Fritz]Well Lucifer 'Pew' is a mind numbing place, but relentlessly cool; stubbed my toe on this and had to add this to the GWB epitaph and for MoEnzyme

Source: Pew Research
Author: Paul Taylor
Date: October 23, 2008

Republicans: Still Happy Campers  [Fritz]In October anyway

<snip>
Well, Republicans are different from Democrats. How so? Let us count the ways.

* They have more money.2
    * They have more friends.3
    * They are more religious.4
    * They are healthier.5
    * They are more likely to be married.6
    * They like their communities better.7
    * They like their jobs more.8
    * They are more satisfied with their family life.9
    * They like the weather better.10
    * They have fewer financial worries.11
    * They're more likely to see themselves doing better in life than their parents did.12
    * They're more likely to feel that individuals - rather than outside forces - control their own success or failure.13
    * They have more of what they most value in life. (No, it's not money).14

All of these differences are associated with the partisan happiness gap. But a word of caution: It can get very tricky trying to disentangle causes from effects. Even though happiness research has become a cottage industry in recent years, no one has yet been able to nail down all the factors that explain the persistent -- and growing -- Republican happiness advantage. No definitive answers will be available here, either. However, a close examination of data from three Pew Research Center surveys taken in 2008 may shed new light on this intriguing gap.
<snip>

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-21 01:42:02 »

Always worth remembering that Pew is funded and operated by Republican Christians. I'd be much less inclined to suspect confirmation bias if they sometimes called a survey the other way. So far I don't remember a single survey where they have.

Kindest Regards Hermit.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-21 09:22:24 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
blissful bigots and open hatred
« Reply #3 on: 2008-12-21 03:03:22 »

Fritz,

Along with Hermit, I smell a rat on the Republican happiness. I'm not so sure how the happiness goes without measuring anger as well. Certainly the media got a whiff of the grassroots anger present at McCain rallies, especially when Sarah Palin was one of the speakers. We heard of numerous calls to "Kill Him!!", not to mention the McCain volunteer who brewed up a phoney story about an innocent white woman getting attacked physically and sexually by a big black male Obama supporter. I simply fail to see any hint of that kind of hateful inspiration on the Obama (if not Democratic) side of the equation.

So I think measuring mere happiness or unhappiness misses some bigger emotional issues. I bet on the anger scale we've got examples on both end the spectrum, but I'm somehow betting the truly angry are still truly and angrily opposed to Obama even if few in the rest of the electorate care anymore. Hatred is simply dogmatic anger, and somehow I think the core of the GOP is still VERY full of that kind of crap. It will probably take several electoral cycles to get over it. I'd also be interested to hear if some of these "happy" republicans don't harbor some intense hatred for more than one outgroup. Up to a point, having clearly defined enemies can be inspiring to otherwise apathetic bigots. Its all well and good to be mutually embraced in the love and happiness of "people like me", but how meaningful is it when it implicitly depends on the hatred of "people like them"?

Much love,

-Mo
« Last Edit: 2008-12-21 03:22:22 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008-12-21 09:25:14 »

More on this from memory. Suicides increase dramatically under Republicans and International studies show that English speaking nations are far less happy than others, with the US and the UK trailing at the back of the developed nations pack in terms of  the "happiness index".

Kindest Regards

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2008-12-21 10:11:02 »

Quote:
[MoEnzyme] Along with Hermit, I smell a rat on the Republican happiness.<snip>

Quote:
[Hernit]Always worth remembering that Pew is funded and operated by Republican Christians.<snip>

Should have known that if it were free, there is 'hook' and I guess the anagram 'PEW' does offer a suggestion to stand back before inhaling the data.

Thx

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: