logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-20 09:45:49 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

Uh-Ohbama!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Uh-Ohbama!  (Read 9332 times)
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Uh-Ohbama!
« Reply #15 on: 2008-03-21 11:29:22 »

Blunderov already mentioned Hagee above, but he is just one of many white preacher friends of Republicans who get a pass on a double standard. The following article does a good job of summarizing this.

The White Preacher Double Standard: How Hagee, Parsley and the Rest Get Away with Everything

Posted by Cenk Uygur, Huffington Post at 12:03 PM on March 19, 2008.

If the disparity in coverage isn't racist, then what is it?

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/80253/

Rudy Giuliani's priest has been accused in grand jury proceedings of molesting several children and covering up the molestation of others. Giuliani would not disavow him on the campaign trail and still works with him.

Mitt Romney was part of a church that did not view black Americans as equals and actively discriminated against them. He stayed with that church all the way into his early thirties, until they were finally forced to change their policies to come into compliance with civil rights legislation. Romney never disavowed his church back then or now. He said he was proud of the faith of his fathers.

Jerry Falwell said America had 9/11 coming because we tolerated gays, feminists and liberals. It was our fault. Our chickens had come home to roost, if you will. John McCain proudly received his support and even spoke at his university's commencement.

Reverend John Hagee has called the Catholic Church the "Great Whore." He has said that the Anti-Christ will rise out of the European Union (of course, the Anti-Christ will also be Jewish). He has said all Muslims are trained to kill and will be part of the devil's army when Armageddon comes (which he hopes is soon). John McCain continues to say he is proud of Reverend Hagee's endorsement.

Reverend Rod Parsley believes America was founded to destroy Islam. Since this is such an outlandish claim, I have to add for the record, that he is not kidding. Reverend Parsley says Islam is an "anti-Christ religion" brought down from a "demon spirit." Of course, we are in a war against all Muslims, including presumably Muslim-Americans. But since Parsley believes this is a Christian nation and that it should be run as a theocracy, he is not very concerned what Muslim-Americans think.

John McCain says Reverend Rod Parsley is his "spiritual guide."

What separates all of these outrageous preachers from Barack Obama's? You guessed it. They're white and Reverend Jeremiah Wright is not. If it's not racism that's causing the disparity in media treatment of these preachers, then what is it?

I'm willing to listen to other possible explanations. And I am inclined to believe that the people these preachers go after are more important than the race of the preacher. It's one thing to go after gays, liberals and Muslims - that seems to be perfectly acceptable in America - it's another to accuse white folks of not living up to their ideals.

I think there is another factor at play as well. The media is deathly afraid of calling out preachers of any stripe for insane propaganda from the pulpits for fear that they will be labeled as anti-Christian. But criticism of Rev. Wright falls into their comfort zone. It's easy to blame him for being anti-American because he criticizes American foreign and domestic policy.

If Rev. Wright had preached about discriminating against gay Americans or Muslims, there probably would not have been any outcry at all. That falls into the category of "respect their hateful opinions because they cloak themselves in the church."

But one thing is indisputable - the enormous disparity in how the media has covered these white preachers as opposed to Rev. Wright. Have you ever even heard of Rod Parsley? As you can see from what I listed above, all of these white preachers have said and done the most outlandish and offensive things you can imagine - and hardly a peep.

If the disparity in coverage isn't racist, then what is it?

Cenk Uygur is co-host of The Young Turks, the first liberal radio show to air nationwide.

« Last Edit: 2008-03-21 11:59:40 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008-03-21 11:48:09 »

And while we are at it, let's not overlook Hillary's wacky religious ties.

Hillary's Ties to Religious Fundamentalists

By Barbara Ehrenreich, Barbaraehrenreich.com. Posted March 20, 2008.

When it comes to unsavory religious affiliations, Hillary Clinton is a lot more vulnerable than Barack Obama.

http://www.alternet.org/election08/80248/

There's a reason why Hillary Clinton has remained relatively silent during the flap over intemperate remarks by Barack Obama's former pastor, Jeremiah Wright. When it comes to unsavory religious affiliations, she's a lot more vulnerable than Obama.

You can find all about it in a widely under-read article in the September 2007 issue of Mother Jones, in which Kathryn Joyce and Jeff Sharlet reported that "through all of her years in Washington, Clinton has been an active participant in conservative Bible study and prayer circles that are part of a secretive Capitol Hill group known as the "Fellowship," aka the Family. But it won't be a secret much longer. Jeff Sharlet's shocking exposé, The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power will be published in May.

Sean Hannity has called Obama's church a "cult," but that term applies far more aptly to Clinton's "Family," which is organized into "cells" -- their term -- and operates sex-segregated group homes for young people in northern Virginia. In 2002, writer Jeff Sharlet joined the Family's home for young men, foreswearing sex, drugs and alcohol, and participating in endless discussions of Jesus and power. He wasn't undercover; he used his own name and admitted to being a writer. But he wasn't completely out of danger either. When he went outdoors one night to make a cell phone call, he was followed. He still gets calls from Family associates asking him to meet them in diners -- alone.

The Family's most visible activity is its blandly innocuous National Prayer Breakfast, held every February in Washington. But almost all its real work goes on behind the scenes -- knitting together international networks of right-wing leaders, most of them ostensibly Christian. In the 1940s, the Family reached out to former and not-so-former Nazis, and its fascination with that exemplary leader, Adolph Hitler, has continued, along with ties to a whole bestiary of murderous thugs. As Sharlet reported in Harper's in 2003:
Quote:
During the 1960s the Family forged relationships between the U.S. government and some of the most anti-Communist (and dictatorial) elements within Africa's postcolonial leadership. The Brazilian dictator General Costa e Silva, with Family support, was overseeing regular fellowship groups for Latin American leaders, while, in Indonesia, General Suharto (whose tally of several hundred thousand "Communists" killed marks him as one of the century's most murderous dictators) was presiding over a group of fifty Indonesian legislators. During the Reagan Administration, the Family helped build friendships between the U.S. government and men such as Salvadoran general Carlos Eugenios Vides Casanova, convicted by a Florida jury of the torture of thousands, and Honduran general Gustavo Alvarez Martinez, himself an evangelical minister, who was linked to both the CIA and death squads before his own demise.

At the heart of the Family's American branch is a collection of powerful right-wing politicos, who include, or have included, Sam Brownback, Ed Meese, John Ashcroft, James Inhofe, and Rick Santorum. They get to use the Family's spacious estate on the Potomac, the Cedars, which is maintained by young men in Family group homes and where meals are served by the Family's young women's group. And, at the Family's frequent prayer gatherings, they get powerful jolts of spiritual refreshment, tailored to the already-powerful.

Clinton fell in with the Family in 1993, when she joined a Bible study group composed of wives of conservative leaders like Jack Kemp and James Baker. When she ascended to the Senate, she was promoted to what Sharlet calls the Family's "most elite cell," the weekly Senate Prayer Breakfast, which included, until his downfall, Virginia's notoriously racist Sen. George Allen. This has not been a casual connection for Clinton. She has written of Doug Coe, the Family's publicity-averse leader, that he is "a unique presence in Washington: a genuinely loving spiritual mentor and guide to anyone, regardless of party or faith, who wants to deepen his or her relationship with God."

Furthermore, the Family takes credit for some of Clinton's rightward legislative tendencies, including her support for a law guaranteeing "religious freedom" in the workplace, such as for pharmacists who refuse to fill birth control prescriptions and police officers who refuse to guard abortion clinics.

What drew Clinton into the sinister heart of the international right? Maybe it was just a phase in her tormented search for identity, marked by ever-changing hairstyles and names: Hillary Rodham, Mrs. Bill Clinton, Hillary Rodham Clinton, and now Hillary Clinton. She reached out to many potential spiritual mentors during her White House days, including new age guru Marianne Williamson and the liberal Rabbi Michael Lerner. But it was the Family association that stuck.

Sharlet generously attributes Clinton's involvement to the underappreciated depth of her religiosity, but he himself struggles to define the Family's theological underpinnings. The Family avoids the word Christian but worships Jesus, though not the Jesus who promised the earth to the "meek." They believe that, in mass societies, it's only the elites who matter, the political leaders who can build God's "dominion" on earth. Insofar as the Family has a consistent philosophy, it's all about power -- cultivating it, building it and networking it together into ever-stronger units, or "cells." "We work with power where we can," Doug Coe has said, and "build new power where we can't."

Obama has given a beautiful speech on race and his affiliation with the Trinity Unity Church of Christ. Now it's up to Clinton to explain -- or, better yet, renounce -- her longstanding connection with the fascist-leaning Family.

Barbara Ehrenreich is the author of 13 books, including the New York Times bestseller Nickel and Dimed. A frequent contributor to the New York Times, Harper's, and the Progressive, she is a contributing writer to Time magazine. She lives in Florida.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-21 11:54:46 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #17 on: 2008-03-21 12:29:00 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2008-03-21 15:37:12 by Salamantis » Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2008-03-21 12:32:22 »

Quote from: Fritz on 2008-03-20 18:51:11   
2-CoV is endorsing the American religious left for presidency; with all its insight into that state of the union.

3-I getting an impression that ‘Salamantis’ is a unifying force at CoV, albeit a messy one.

re:2 I think Hermit is still cheering for an Al Gore / Ralph Nader green ticket or a Ron Paul / Dennis Kucinich independent ticket. Blunderov is perversly cheering for McCain, because he will hasten the collapse of the US military empire.

re:3 Obviously the troll is not going away, although Meridion has worked to minimize the impact of his spamming. I wouldn't call him uniting in any sense, but if you are reading the BBS and want to know what the neocon memebots have to say about things you can reveal one of his posts without having to google or turn on AM radio. Perhaps he helps make us "fair and balanced", or perhaps he lowers collectively the average intelligence of our church, but I wouldn't say he unites us anymore than other misbehaving trolls unite the internet communities they parasitize. We are united here to promote Reason, Empathy, and Vision, and to read intelligent material in that context, not to read spam from neocon memebots . . . we can do that almost anywhere without this troll's help.

Quote:
6-Social diseases and the Clinton’s are preferable to McCain, but he will still be President.

I'm not so sure. I think his momentary surge in the polls is mostly because he doesn't have any Republican opponents attacking him, and the Democrats, Obama and Clinton, are mostly concentrating on each other. Once either of them clinch the nomination, that will change the dynamics and will likely end McCain's temporary lead. He will probably surge once again after the Republican convention, but these fluctuations are often irrellevant to what happens on election day which is the only poll that really matters. All the other polls just give media talking heads something to discuss until then.

« Last Edit: 2008-03-21 12:50:53 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008-03-21 14:54:24 »

Dear Mo,

Do you think you could let me speak for myself? If you want to know what I think, you can always ask me. My current thinking on the political situation in the US is as follows.

I despise Ralph Nader and don't see Ron Paul/Dennis Kucinich running as third-party candidates. It also seems unlikely that Al Gore is going to run (which I think is a pity, even Hilary says experience counts (though she doesn't really have any relevant experience, unless you think that she will run as Bill's sock puppet), which would count against her and he did throw his hat in the ring as we know that Gore can win an election against the Republicans - and this time he might also win the counting afterwards so long as it does not come down to the Supreme Court - which means not depending on either chads or Diebold voting machines). If Gore did run, he would have my support without any hesitation (though maybe not with Nader as a VP) - even though he is far more religious than I like. I think his concern for the environment and determination to work on that is real and might make enough of a difference fast enough to prevent what I presently see as largely inevitable environmental catastrophes. In addition, I think that he is a compassionate person which may make a huge difference to the lives of many people in the near future, if the economic situation continues to unravel as I anticipate.

More important than the Presidency is the Supreme Court. I don't think that anybody is paying sufficient attention to the third leg of government - which is now solidly Republican for at least the next 30 years (bar a massive die-off), with only one sure way to fix it. To increase the number of judges. That will take a solid majority in Congress and a Democratic President. Which, given the way things are at present, is not going to happen.  Particularly as I think that, bar a miracle, that the Senate and the House are going to go Republican this time. I think that this would be a grotesque disaster. Not so much because the House or Senate are particularly important while they are neutered by the almost balance (which I would see as not entirely a bad thing if the Democrats were actually behaving as an opposition rather than enabling and collaborating with the Republicans), but because it will leave us unable to change the status quo, with largely Republican Federal courts and the insanely activist Robert's Supreme Court (which is the really disastrous Bush legacy.) above them.

Given that the current Democrats have behaved as if they have been bought, blackmailed or were closet Republicans all along, I would recommend demanding that they commit to voting for defunding the war, preventing the appointment of more Republican judges or DoJ staffers, and to increasing the number of Judges to neutralize the Bush appointments - and agreeing that a reversal of course constitutes a resignation. If they won't do that, I would recommend spoiling one's vote in protest or even voting for a Republican on the basis that having an unabashed fascist represent you is better than having a hypocrite representing you.

Which brings us back to the Presidential race. Given who is running currently, with a realistic chance of winning, I think that Walter is correct, that Obama is the least worse potential candidate. If, despite this, Clinton gets the Democratic nomination, I might recommend making a protest vote for anybody else, including a write in for Minnie Mouse (she is female too, but has less of a history), but would also consider voting for McCain, as her nomination will almost certainly clinch the Republicans adding both Congress and the Executive to their already "pwned" Supreme Court - and the faster the resulting state implodes (which it will) the better for the world (including the people living in the USA).

Kind Regards

Hermit

PS It says a great deal about the Democratic Party that they could very easily lose an election against opponents who created the depression we have on the horizon, the environmental disasters visible all around us, who have exacerbated energy and food crises and immediately following the first presidency to have not one but two recessions and almost universally recognized as the most disastrous yet experienced by the United States.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-22 19:40:03 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2008-03-22 12:33:51 »

Why isn't hatred a Virian sin? What is hatred, other than dogmatic UTism? Well, first off I would say that it has an element of anger to it. Anger in and of itself is not necessarily a senseless or wrong thing . . . sometimes it makes sense to get angry. If in my life I didn't get angry sometimes, it could be because I wasn't paying attention. Even if you don't belong to some oppressed minority, there are still plenty of things that ought to make you angry if you have any sense. It doesn't have to be your group forced into furnaces, in order to feel outraged by genocide.

So when is anger hatred? when its dogmatic or hypcritical in nature, which brings us back to the Vian sins of Hypocrisy, Apathy, and Dogmatism. I have a bit of a difficult time to envisioning apathetic anger; if you are angry it generally means that you care about SOMETHING even if it is something irrational. UTism in particular tends to breed hypocrisies. For example treating the same behavior as virtuous when WE do it, but treating it as sinful with THEY do it.
Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #21 on: 2008-03-22 14:33:46 »

toon032408.gif
« Last Edit: 2008-03-22 16:31:53 by Salamantis »
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2008-03-22 17:04:16 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2008-03-21 14:54:24   
Dear Mo,

Do you think you could let me speak for myself?

:::Mo Enzyme removes ball gag from Hermit's mouth

Quote:
PS It says a great deal about the Democratic Party that they could very easily lose an election against opponents who created the depression we have on the horizon, the environmental disasters visible all around us, who have exacerbated energy and food crises and immediately following the first presidency to have not one but two recessions and almost universally recognized as the most disastrous yet experienced by the United States.

I'm hearing some talk about impeachment of at least Dick Cheney, that it was possibly still "on the table" even if impeaching Bush was "off the table" when they took over the Congress -- Which I think was one of the most ridiculous and incompetant political concessions ever, and totally unecessary even for its friendly intention. All Nancy Pelosi had to say is "We promise to talk with you even though you put us on your 'do not call' list for the last six years. We forgive you for that." I think Nancy Pelosi is not one of the smartest female politicians. I think Howard Dean has been working with her more since then, so perhaps he can prevent her from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory next time. Perhaps the good Doctor can warn her about sticking her fingers in light sockets while he's at it.

As for this election - unlike you, I'm not waivering between chaos and reform. Reform is least likely with McCain, because he's already put all his beans into a continuation of the Bush policies. He's already picking up on the blatant-and-continuous-mistatements, as well as the stupid-lying tricks so he's set to be a Bush Clone and continuation. I also think he currently has PTS disorder, and is therefore mentally unfit to serve as President Of The US. So it will be like more Bush incompetence except that instead of having drug and alcohol induced brain damage, the would-be incompetant POTUS is simply crazy.

As for the Democrats losing; It could happen, but I doubt it. Once the Democrats resolve on a nominee, the swiftboating of John McCain will begin, and I think it will begin on the issue of mental stability, but will get around to casting doubts on judgments made in his military career. I think some of that may start happening even before a nominee is apparent. Move-On and few similar organizations are already in a perfect position to do a lot of this, and they are independent both legally and in fact from the official Democratic party apparatus. The weapons are assembled, loaded and ready-to-fire. Its now mostly a question of when.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-22 17:12:38 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008-03-22 19:58:50 »

[Mo Enzyme] As for this election - unlike you, I'm not waivering between chaos and reform.

Sheesh Mo!

Wavering yet! And a false dilemma between "chaos and reform"?

I tried to explain in exquisite detail and careful nuance where I stood and what I see as sensible under possible circumstances. The only area where I might need to make a tricky choice has not yet arisen and hopefully won't*.

Where in this is wavering?

Where is the chaos and who do you think offers reform? What evidence do you think suggests that these are the only possibilities?

Kind Regards

Hermit

*Which is, were the Democans to ignore the clearly expressed will of the majority of the electorate and attempt to nominate Hilary as their presidential candidate, in which case the Republicrats will probably (and perhaps deservedly) sweep House and Executive. At which point the only question would be whether to help guarantee the collapse of the government (which I think would be sensible, seeing as I would give much better than even odds that the US military will be ordered to fire on Americans at some time during the next 4 years) by bracing oneself and voting for the Republicans; or to vote for a somewhat less obnoxious and no more unlikely a president than Clinton and cronies. Somebody like Minnie Mouse.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2008-03-23 03:04:05 »

If it came down to desparate choices, and I was just choosing my flavor of chaos to flush America down with . . . I was thinking Britney Spears if only she were old enough to run for these. I know she can vote whether or not she does, but if we're going for chaos, at least she's easy on the eyes to look at while the world goes to hell. I'd certainly vote for Britney Spears before I'd vote for John McCain.

Song for Britney by Jon Lajoie
http://youtube.com/watch?v=40BGjcmf2lc

« Last Edit: 2008-03-23 03:12:19 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 2008-03-23 10:38:29 »

I'd prefer to vote for Britney Spears (even with her current suicide and drug issues) long before I voted for McCain - or Hilary - but as Britney isn't 35 yet, she is much less compelling as a write in than Minnie Mouse. May I suggest that by the time Britney is 35 you won't regard her as eye-candy, irrespective of whether she is dead or alive. With the former more likely and the insane drug policy in this country not having helped her one iota.

More seriously, I didn't mean if McCain is elected, that US troops will be ordered to fire on US citizens; I meant that irrespective of who is elected from the current deck of cards, that situations where that outcome is almost unavoidable are likely to arise. When that happens, who is behind the trigger fingers will matter a lot. I would not want McCain (who I agree has neurological issues) or Hilary (who I think is worse, because she will think of herself first and her subjects much later), to be that person. Obama would not be, by any means, my first choice, but I think that he is much better than the other two, not least because it seems that he hears many viewpoints.

So my question still stands. Where is the "choice?"  Understanding that you think that McCain stands for chaos that will destroy America, who do you think will be reforming, what do you think will be reformed, and how will this reformation save America?

Kind Regards

Hermit

PS When these situations arise, most likely it will be triggered by the inability of large numbers of people in North America to buy fuel, food and/or water. The situation is becoming inevitable, not only in Mexico (which will lead to much higher inflows to the USA, with inevitable clashes), but also North of the border (think about collapsing infrastructure and the vast number of enemies we have created that might target it, the lack of protection against hurricanes, the dwindling gas supply, the soaring cost of food, the unpreparedness to handle epidemics, the water situation in, inter alia, Nebraska and Colorado; as well as the vast numbers of people in the USA just marginally surviving before inflation and poverty slashes the buying power of what passes for welfare - as well as the fact that the housing collapse is going to raise the number of people in that situation far beyond the already insane numbers of homeless in what is largely an unforgiving climate.), and not only are no (visible) preparations being made beyond detention camps, but also people are not being prepared for these (inevitable due to political choices?) outcomes.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-23 18:14:54 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #26 on: 2008-03-23 15:57:54 »

Obama431.jpg
« Last Edit: 2008-03-23 19:38:37 by Salamantis »
Salamantis
Neophyte