logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 21:56:17 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

'Lyrical terrorist' sentenced over extremist poetry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: 'Lyrical terrorist' sentenced over extremist poetry  (Read 1875 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« on: 2007-12-06 06:12:22 »

[Blunderov] I hope one day,  sooner rather than later,  to spit copiously on the graves of the persons who enacted and enforced this legislation.  Does this remark make me a terrorist? In the eyes of the ever Perfidious Albion, probably.

...The eyes are not here
There are no eyes here
In this valley of dying stars
In this hollow valley
This broken jaw of our lost kingdoms...

The Hollow Men
T. S. Eliot

http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,,2222911,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Claire Truscott and agencies
Thursday December 6, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Samina Malik, who called herself the 'lyrical terrorist', is the first woman to be convicted under new terrorism legislation. Photograph: Metropolitan Police/PA

A 23-year-old former Heathrow shop assistant who called herself the "lyrical terrorist" and scrawled her extremist thoughts on till receipts has been handed a nine-month suspended jail sentence.
Samina Malik became the first woman convicted under new terrorism legislation after writing poems entitled How To Behead and The Living Martyrs.

Malik, described as an "unlikely but committed" Islamic extremist, was last month convicted by an jury at the Old Bailey of a charge under the 2000 Terrorism Act.

She worked at WH Smith at Heathrow, where she scribbled her extremist lyrics on till receipts. On one she wrote: "The desire within me increases every day to go for martyrdom."

But Malik told the jury she only adopted her "lyrical terrorist" nickname because she thought it was "cool" and insisted: "I am not a terrorist."

She wept as she was found guilty of possessing records likely to be useful in terrorism by a majority of 10 to one. Two female jurors were also in tears. The court heard that Malik stocked a "library" of material useful to terrorists at her family home in Southall, west London.

Jonathan Sharp, prosecuting, told the court she visited a website linked to jailed cleric Abu Hamza and stored material about weapons. The court also heard Malik belonged to a social networking website called hi5, describing her interests as "helping the mujaheddin in any way which I can".

Under favourite TV shows, she listed: "Watching videos by my Muslim brothers in Iraq, yep the beheading ones, watching video messages by Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahri and other videos which show massacres of the kaffirs."

But Muhammed Abdul Bari, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said he did not think her actions were a criminal matter. "Many young people download objectionable material from the Internet, but it seems if you are a Muslim then this could lead to criminal charges, even if you have absolutely no intention to do harm to anyone else.

"Samina's so-called poetry was certainly offensive but I don't believe this case should really have been a criminal matter. Young people may well have some silly thoughts. That should not be criminalised. It is their actions that we should be concerned about."

After her conviction, Judge Peter Beaumont, the recorder of London, warned her that "all sentencing options remain open" as he granted her bail. He told her: "You have been, in many respects, a complete enigma to me."

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:'Lyrical terrorist' sentenced over extremist poetry
« Reply #1 on: 2007-12-06 11:56:48 »

As America and the UK are teaching the world, as they slalom down the slippery slopes while criticizing tyrannical states (like Cuba and Russia), in order to defend liberal western values it is sometimes necessary for society to curtail traditional freedoms like those of speech, thought, religion and association. Under such circumstances, the acquisition or even possession of knowledge, unless required for socially acceptable purposes, is undoubtedly a threat to both society and the individual and so must be rigorously and sometimes even ruthlessly controlled.

Kindest Regards

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
Re:'Lyrical terrorist' sentenced over extremist poetry
« Reply #2 on: 2007-12-07 01:36:34 »

Quote:
Under such circumstances, the acquisition or even possession of knowledge, unless required for socially acceptable purposes, is undoubtedly a threat to both society and the individual and so must be rigorously and sometimes even ruthlessly controlled.
[letheomaniac]Shades of Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451... Hey I see a library! Hand me my flame thrower...

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: