logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-29 07:26:41 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

virian project: photo blogging
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: virian project: photo blogging  (Read 9617 times)
Bill Mackinnon
Neophyte

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile
Re: virus: Re:virian project: photo blogging
« Reply #15 on: 2005-12-08 18:13:56 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Casey
admin
Adept

Rate Casey

Revere the skeptic.

View Profile E-Mail
Re:virian project: photo blogging
« Reply #16 on: 2005-12-09 11:25:29 »

Count me in, too.  cmanisca@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005-12-10 02:17:38 »

blunderov, could it be that you have used your 20mb this month already?

if not..please sir, can i have some more?
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #18 on: 2005-12-10 03:10:04 »

Quote from: Mermaid on 2005-12-10 02:17:38   

blunderov, could it be that you have used your 20mb this month already?

if not..please sir, can i have some more?

[Blunderov] I can't believe I ate the whole thing....

There may be workarounds here. (I see Kid A has made some pictures available to his contacts. I can see these on my account but not the Virus Image Commons Account. Possibilities here.) It may also be possible for you to open your own flickr account (20mb; all for you) and then create another group, say "CoV Image Commons Mermaid portfolio" and then we could invite that group to the original CoV commons.

But before I get too clever by half, the problem might be that these precious megabytes are measured in terms of traffic not quantity. If one uploads and then deletes a picture, that megabyteage  is used up anyway whether you keep the picture or not. My "scheme" will depend on whether the system sees inviting another group as traffic or as bookkeeping.

I'll try and find out whether there is any specific information at the site about this and then get back to you. If there isn't any specific info we can maybe take a little hack at it and see what works.

Which would be good. That way everyone can operate in parallel. Messy, but fun.

Best regards.
rhinoceros
Adept

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #19 on: 2005-12-10 08:34:32 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2005-12-10 03:10:04   

But before I get too clever by half, the problem might be that these precious megabytes are measured in terms of traffic not quantity. If one uploads and then deletes a picture, that megabyteage  is used up anyway whether you keep the picture or not. My "scheme" will depend on whether the system sees inviting another group as traffic or as bookkeeping.

I'll try and find out whether there is any specific information at the site about this and then get back to you. If there isn't any specific info we can maybe take a little hack at it and see what works.

Yes, it seems it's the uploading bandwidth, not space.
http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#65

#5 also says that there is a total limit of 200 pics visible at any time for a free account. If all else fails, we might want to fudraise $25 (for a year) and make the monthly limit 2G.

Hmm... But this may not work. Are groups like regular member accounts or just managed collections of links? I mean, was the limit we hit actually a limit  of the group or a limit of the uploader's flickr account? In the latter case, paying up for the group won't help, and I suspect this is the case. Then the very active members would need to create new free personal flickr accounts exclusively for this group and upload there separately. An inconvenience...

Ok, enough with my contingency rambling. This is not chess
DrSebby
Archon

Rate DrSebby

...Oh, you smell of lambs!
18680476 18680476    dr_sebby drsebby
View Profile WWW E-Mail
RE: virus: Re:virian project: photo blogging
« Reply #20 on: 2005-12-10 08:58:52 »

DrSebby.
"Courage...and shuffle the cards".

----Original Message Follows----
Reply-To: virus@lucifer.com
To: virus@lucifer.com
Subject: virus: Re:virian project: photo blogging
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:34:34 -0700

[quote from: Blunderov on 2005-12-10 at 01:10:04]
But before I get too clever by half, the problem might be that these
precious megabytes are measured in terms of traffic not quantity. If one
uploads and then deletes a picture, that megabyteage  is used up anyway
whether you keep the picture or not. My "scheme" will depend on whether the
system sees inviting another group as traffic or as bookkeeping.

I'll try and find out whether there is any specific information at the site
about this and then get back to you. If there isn't any specific info we can
maybe take a little hack at it and see what works.

Yes, it seems it's the uploading bandwidth, not space.
http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#65

#5 also says that there is a total limit of 200 pics visible at any time for
a free account. If all else fails, we might want to fudraise $25 (for a
year) and make the monthly limit 2G.

Hmm... But this may not work. Are groups like regular member accounts or
just managed collections of links? I mean, was the limit we hit actually a
limit  of the group or a limit of the uploader's flickr account? In the
latter case, paying up for the group won't help, and I suspect this is the
case. Then the very active members would need to create new free personal
flickr accounts exclusively for this group and upload there separately. An
inconvenience...

Ok, enough with my contingency rambling. This is not chess

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2005 board on Church of
Virus BBS.
<http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=65;action=display;threadid=34106>
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to
<http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

"courage and shuffle the cards..."
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005-12-17 08:29:24 »

i asked blunderov to tag me and i will be adding images to the cov pool until 23, dec. i will be tagging someone to continue for a week.

if you wish to photo blog, please drop me a pm.

p.s. blunderov, i know what you mean. i tried to remove my test image from the cov pool and ended up deleting it from my album. maybe ww knows how to keep it private/public in one's account while still removing it from the group?
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #22 on: 2005-12-17 14:14:34 »

Quote from: Mermaid on 2005-12-17 08:29:24   

i asked blunderov to tag me and i will be adding images to the cov pool until 23, dec. i will be tagging someone to continue for a week.

if you wish to photo blog, please drop me a pm.

p.s. blunderov, i know what you mean. i tried to remove my test image from the cov pool and ended up deleting it from my album. maybe ww knows how to keep it private/public in one's account while still removing it from the group?

Just go to the group photo pool and click on the x under the photos you want removed. If you're an administrator, be careful as you can remove anyones photos from the pool. Members can only remove the ones they've sent to the group.
Doing it the way described above does NOT delete the pix from your own account, just the link to the group photo pool.

Walter

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005-12-18 07:55:00 »

thanks ww.

Quote from: Walter Watts on 2005-12-17 14:14:34   

Just go to the group photo pool and click on the x under the photos you want removed. If you're an administrator, be careful as you can remove anyones photos from the pool. Members can only remove the ones they've sent to the group.
Doing it the way described above does NOT delete the pix from your own account, just the link to the group photo pool.

Walter
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005-12-19 13:42:52 »

i am unable to find enough material to fashion a message from photographs. it might have been a bad idea to allocate a week for every participating member in the cov image commons. i can keep adding images, but i doubt that one week is enough to convey an idea in terms of gathering the photographs and formulating them into anything coherent.

blunderov was right and so the cov image commons is thrown open to all the members. all you have to do is get an invite, join the cov group in flickr and start posting your images to the collective flickr blog.

sorry for all the confusion. we were testing it earlier and if there are any suggestions, please do let us know.
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #25 on: 2006-01-09 03:24:29 »

Apologies for the lack of recent activity. Normal service will now resume or at least so I fervently hope.

One possibility of interacting with CoV Flickr pictures is to use the Yahoo Widget Engine. (Until recently this was known as Konfabulator.It is now freeware from Yahoo.)A widget is a small standalone desktop application that plugs directly into particular data on the web and displays it for you continuously for as long as you decide to keep the widget running.

A lot of widgets can be downloaded and very many of them are spectacularly useless.But one them that isn't useless is "Wickr". This one will tap directly into the Flickr photostreams of your contacts, or to the general digital melee, should you so choose. Most unfortunately though, I haven't yet discovered a way to patch it into groups. I will keep trying.

Yet another possibility is to use RSS feeds; each account has one. For some reason though, the CoV Group page does not seem to have an RSS feed. It maybe that this is available only to pro (paid) accounts; I see other groups have RSS feeds. I will keep trying.

Of course for many this will be going around the sun to meet the moon. Ordinary browsing works perfectly well too. (http://www.flickr.com/)

I would like to encourage everybody to post picures here most freely. I for one am hoping to see some actual pictures of Virians; I think we are all quite curious to put faces to names. Of course this is completely optional let me hasten to emphasise.

'Art', whatever that might be taken to mean, is not at all required, although it is also completely welcome. Any content that Virians might deem interesting, as a matter of record or for whatever reason, within reason, is welcome.

(It might be an idea to collect some of the images that have been posted on the Virus site to Flickr. It may be that they can be organised into convenient sets for viewing as collections. I remember seeing some pictures of tattoos that I liked a lot eg.)

Best regards.
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #26 on: 2006-01-11 02:44:24 »

[Blunderov] Did you know that there is a flickr group devoted to those who have posted pictures of "pets named Darwin"? 11 members so far. The letters are interesting.

There is also a flickr group devoted to pictures taken with camera phones. Some are surprisingly good. PhotoShop can hide a multitude of sins, but a really skillful photographer does not always have resort to this in order to make something from the usually appalling quality of these instruments.

WalterW, if I may presume, could you please post some pictures of your Tulsa trees?

Everybody else too; whatever you want to post - go for it. Just not un-worksafe stuff without due warning. Pictures can easily be marked with a "may offend" tag if you judge this to be appropriate.

Best regards.
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: