logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 16:02:42 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

Living with Death in a Surreal Matrix
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Living with Death in a Surreal Matrix  (Read 32849 times)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Living with Death in a Surreal Matrix
« on: 2005-11-12 17:21:46 »

La vie avec la mort dans une Matrice surréaliste

In Paris the young men are burning cars
In Paris the young men are black
The cars are very pretty when they burn
Flames flickering and dancing before all is still
But what a waste

The learned American says that the young men of Paris are Islamites
The learned American says
The only reason they do these things is that Islam inspires them
But that is not what is said by the young men

The young men are the children of the immigrants from Algiers and Senegal and Morocco
They are children of the streets, children of the tower blocks, young men today, adults tomorrow
The young men are bored, so they play video games and watch The Matrix
Deal their drugs, sleep in the day, and at night, at night they play with les flics
But what a waste

The learned American says that the children of Paris are terrorists
And ought to be shot dead.
The learned American says that they hate us
The learned American says
The learned American's crazy, fear has taken over his head

"We are against the state because the state doesn't want us. We are nothing in this world."
That is what the young men, the black young men of Paris have hurled
Back at the society that molded them, into the faces that said
We have no place for you, why can't you be invisible, decently dead
But what a waste

The learned American read exactly, what the French policeman had said
And you could see from the excited bobbing
Of that learned American head
He agreed that the French should wash the dirt off their streets
That's what the learned American Francophile said.

The young men have their reasons, please don't roll your eyes,
"I am going to get them back for all the times I was hauled in to the police station for nothing,"
You see I warned you, it should not come as a surprise
Young men are pretty much the same the world over,
We see it again and again, Unless the young man in question, is an American

The learned American hates them, the young men that are not really missed
Whether dark crazy young men of the ghettos, all young men that are real, who get pissed
The learned American hates them, but he hates his own young men more
He fucks up their minds with his mouthing, then sends them all off to war

In Fallujah the American soldiers are burning children
In Fallujah the children are the color of rich toffee
The children are very pretty before they burn
Flames flickering and dancing before all is still
But what a waste

The learned American cheers on his troops, he scribbles away more and more
A bead of sweat on his temple, he shouts and rages, spittle dribbles down his chin to the floor
Kill all of them, they frighten me, I'm a good person and don't deserve this
Kill all of the little Islamites, before they grow up to be terrorists

The children of the city of Fallujah were burning with their mothers
The children of the city of Fallujah were burning with their brothers
The children of the city of Fallujah were burning for our war
Don't tell me of Saddam's evils, for we have done far more

Copyright Hermit, 2005.

Preteen insurgent served bleu Rai 24 News

Slightly overdone preteen insurgent Robert Fisk

The above poem was inspired by recent floods of rhetoric about the underlying reasons for the riots in France (I suggest boredom, unemployment, poverty and prejudice) shortly after watching this video (which IMO is necessary viewing to fully comprehend "The Joy of the American War against Iraq"). The stupid notion that the recent French riots were inspired by Islam is as ridiculous as asserting that the American race riots following the acquittal of the officers involved in the Rodney King case were caused by Christianity.In both cases, the violence was “senseless” only to those without a clue. I was going to illustrate it with some appropriate images. From here. And from here. Sites filled with images which make rotten.com appear to be in rather good taste. And all our own work. I wonder if we are meant to feel proud or something. So I declined. But in the video, notice the woman carrying the burned baby.

Source: The Expatica
Authors: Hugh Schofield, Laurence Boutreux and Emma Charlton
Dated: 2005-11-12

Les Cités: where the riots come from

The dilapidated high-rise estates known collectively as Les Cités were built in the booming 1960s to house a newly urbanized workforce. But today, they are synonymous with unemployment and social deprivation and now they are world-famous as the source of the Paris riots of 2005.

Not much like what most people imagine when they think of Paris

Apartment block complexes with evocative names like the 'Quarter of the Pointed Oak' and 'Quarter of the Pyramids', they were once praised as a daring concept in town design -- creating self-sufficient communities with easy access to shops and other amenities.

But by the late 1980s, when the first of France's suburban rioting broke out, it was clear that they were the focus of the country's most pressing social ills.

Intended originally to house low-income families from all ethnic origins -- ex-farmers from the emptying countryside as well as workers from the former north African colonies -- the worst estates became immigrant ghettos, as those who had made money moved out.

Invariably situated in the outskirts or 'banlieues' of France's major cities, the estates were far from the gaze of politicians and tourists -- which meant that the growing alienation of young people there passed unnoticed for many years.

The violence that has grabbed international headlines over the last nearly two weeks has been unusual for its duration -- but the ritual of car-burning and clashing with police and fire services is well-established.

More than 1,400 vehicles were torched in France in one night this week

For some 15 years there have been major outbreaks of rioting around Paris and other cities at a rate of about one a year -- often sparked as now by rumors surrounding the deaths of local youths. In addition there are countless minor incidents that go unreported.

For Miloud, 39, who runs a local fruit and vegetable market stall, "They should arrest the architect who created all this. He has created ghettos, these places are prisons."

"People living packed together like this, it is bound to create tensions."

One young man described the town as "the most rotten, the poorest in the region" with "no train station, no swimming pool, no cinema -- nothing worthwhile".

Recognizing the architectural failure of the complexes, the French government has undertaken a program of gradual replacement -- with tower-blocks dynamited and low-cost houses being built instead. Some 30,000 apartment homes are to be destroyed under the programme by 2008.

Home to anger

But while the long-term plan waits to be implemented, the youth who live here act out their angst and try to dispel their boredom.

Outside a row of dilapidated tower blocks, burnt out cars dotted here and there, six young men who fought street battles against the police here this week say they plan to continue defying them.

"We have found our thrills: playing with riot police in the evening," one 22-year-old told AFP, under cover of anonymity.

"As long as the police come and provoke us in the evening, we'll bring out the Molotov cocktails, stones, pétanque balls, planks," he said. [ Hermit: And I'm sure if the police don't “come and provoke us” that – depending on how long the current incompetent, err, incumbent holds the position of Minister of the Interior, they will be able to invite the police to provoke them. ]

Around him, half a dozen youths nodded in agreement.

"In the day we sleep, go see our girlfriends, play video games... And in the evening we have a good time: at 9pm we go and fight the police," said one.

"It's like being in Matrix," the science-fiction film, he said, adding that he liked to see the "riot police in a panic, hiding behind their shields."

Clichy-sous-Bois, a poor, high-immigration suburb northeast of Paris, was the epicentre of a week-long surge of violence in the Paris suburbs -- set off on Thursday by the deaths by electrocution of two local youths, who thought they were being chased by police.

'We are nothing in this world'

Anger at the boys' deaths has combined with growing resentment over hardline new law-and-order policies put forward by interior minister Nicolas Sarkozy.

"Before now, the police could not come into the neighborhood. Now, they catch you, take you away, insult you about your origins -- they can do anything they like," said one of the group of young men.

Residents of the tower blocks where nightly battles have taken place are torn between anger at the authorities -- whom many accuse of provoking the violence -- and frustration with the rioters.

At a nearby market stall, Mouloud, 70, said he was deeply shocked by the interior minister's comments last month, when he vowed to "clean up" the "rabble" in the suburbs, using a water-cannon.

"For Sarkozy, people are dirt," he charged. "All the young immigrants heard that and now they are getting into trouble."

Salih Sabrer, 60, nodded in agreement. "That word was a shame for France. A minister should not be saying that kind of thing."

Walking past, Aissatou Silla, 18, said she thought the riots were justified, as a response both to the boys' deaths and the mosque incident, but "useless" all the same.

"This is the wrong way to vent their anger. They can't change anything this way," said the young woman, born to a Senegalese father and French mother.

She says the neighborhood is usually quiet -- "the young people here all get on well" -- but that there are serious tensions between local youths and the police.

"They get beaten up for nothing, accused of 'rebelling' against the police. Because we're young and from the tower blocks, they take advantage. They spot a group of black or Arab kids and they pick them up."

Born to immigrant families from Senegal and Morocco, two of the group of young men who joined the riots have regular jobs, while the four others say they live "pretty well" from dealing cannabis.

Tonight, Karim, 18, said he intended to fight the police again.

"I am going to get them back for all the times I was hauled in to the police station for nothing," said the young man, one of a family of six children whose father, a former cleaner, is unemployed.

He admits that he has dabbled in petty crime, but says he was often arrested for no reason, accused of talking back to police.

"We are against the state because the state doesn't want us. We are nothing in this world."

'Sensitive Urban Zones'
There are some 750 such zones in France from Paris to Marseille to Lille, but also around smaller towns. Some five million people are reckoned to live here, out of an overall population of 60 million.

According to statistics from the Zones Urbaine Sensibles (ZUS) Observatory, the unemployment rate in these areas is 20.7 percent -- nearly twice the national average. But among young men between 15 and 25, the rate is 36 percent -- and even higher if only young Arab men are counted.

The average yearly income here is EUR 10,500 euros compared to a national average of EUR 17,180 euros.
« Last Edit: 2005-11-16 04:45:58 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
Re:Living with Death in a Surreal Matrix
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-12 21:29:37 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-13 00:49:11 »

Given that Mr Dees has already been voted a truly awful vogon poet (See Select your preference, 2003-08-19 01:20:14) I think that I can ignore his opinion and comments on the poetry <snip>.
Given that Mr Dees is merely expressing his opinions (invalid as always, in my opinion) in his usual long winded fashion, while ignoring documented issues which tend to counter his unsubstantiated opinions (e.g. voting & democracy was addressed here), I see no need to respond to such <snip>.
Finally, Mr Dees introduces a number of red herrings, completely unrelated to the issues mentioned peripherally to the thank-you poem. I see no need to respond to such <snip>.
Naturally, the random selection of writings providing opinions on quoted opinions related to the American manufactured boogey man du jour, Zarqawi, not mentioned until Mr Dees saw fit to do so for reasons of his own. may vanish with Mr Dees' verbiage <snip>.
Oh, nothing to deal with here. Not one thing.

Hermit
« Last Edit: 2005-11-13 11:10:33 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-13 07:53:25 »

« Last Edit: 2005-11-13 07:57:47 by Salamantis » Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-13 11:05:48 »

bloviate \BLOH-vee-ayt\, intransitive verb:
To speak or write at length in a pompous or boastful manner.

Anyone who has ever spent an idle morning watching the Washington talk shows has probably wondered: how did these people become entitled to earn six-figure salaries bloviating about the week's headlines?
    --Robert Worth, "Quick! The Index!" New York Times, June 3, 2001

After five years as president and thirty years as a political figure, this colossal oaf is still unable to discipline his urge to . . . bloviate.
    --R. Emmett Tyrrell, Jr., American Spectator, December 19, 1997

[W]e follow him minute by minute through a day in his office -- bloviating amiably with colleagues on the telephone, letting his secretary rewrite his clumsy letters and worrying about the possible hatred of his subordinates.
    --John Brooks, "Fiction of the Managerial Class," New York Times, April 8, 1984
Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2001/06/22.html

PS Part of the humor of the Vogon Poetry poll is that it is so difficult to tell the difference between the parody and the autoparodeesing Vogon Works that the work and the parody are interchangeable. Those who voted previously knew who the authors were so while left and right are swapped, the opinion of Mr Dees' poetry is clear. The poll remains open, and Virians are invited to continue to provide feedback as they see fit. Given the ponderous Mr Dees' apparent inability to comprehend simple English (which might explain why he is challenged to write anything comprehensible), I am not optimistic that providing feedback is helpful. Nevertheless, we try.

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2005-11-13 19:34:00 »

« Last Edit: 2005-11-13 19:59:11 by Salamantis » Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005-11-14 00:08:49 »

Quote from: Salamantis on 2005-11-13 19:34:00   
"It ain't braggin' if you can do what you say" Muhammed Ali.

[Hermit] If you observe what follows, Mr Dees makes a number of "special claims" for himself. I'll comment on this subsequently. He also makes a number of assertions about himself which he does not substantiate. Further, he makes a number of assertions about me, which are clearly his rather nasty opinion and nothing more, as he clearly does not have a clue about what and who I am, and what I have accomplished - and not being given to making post hoc special appeals - always a logical fallacy - I am unlikely to grant Mr Dees access to such information. If I were to challenge Joe Dees to substantiate his assertions about me, he would be in the position of attempting to prove a negative supposition about somebody else. Now the whole world has had an opportunity to see a recent example of this over in Iraq. It seems that rather than "brilliant", Mr Dees is, at least on some issues, as stupid as his ideological dittohead peers.  And if the following is not, "To speak or write at length in a pompous or boastful manner" then I'm not sure what would qualify as such. And that, Mr Dees, is the very definition of "bloviate", with which, Mr Dees, you appear synonomous.

[Dees] I can.  (At least, publication in the Emerald Coast Review, winning the first-place prize at the Gulf Coast Poetry Contest, and accepted invitations to read at several poetry colloquiums around the southeast would indicate same.)

[Hermit] A quick google for <<Gulf Coast Poetry Contest>> suggests http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/. The past winners appear to be located at http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/GCContest/gccontest2004.html. Does anybody notice an omission? Perhaps Mr Dees will request a correction or suggest some alternative way of evaluating his claim. Perhaps it happened before he lapsed into his current state of apparant aggressive psychotic senility and concurrent inchoate incoherence.

[Hermit] Now for "Emerald Coast Review". A google for <<"Emerald Coast Review" poetry Dees>> found a number of links back to the Church of Virus, including this precious thread. From whence these, and other omitted gems:

[Hermit -1] In ("RE: Where Joe Dees finds his shit..." 2003-06-12 and 2003-06-13 Joe McPees previously pissed :

[Dees -1] <snip>I am a Mensan (upper 2%) and an Illian (Intertel, just so's you'll know - upper 1%) with the highest GRE (that's Graduate Records Exam, also just so's you'll know) score in the history of my university, at which I won the Outstanding Student Award for Philosophy, in which I earned my magna cum laude BA.  My MA is in Humanities Interdisciplinary, with its four major tracks in philosophy, psychology, sociology and anthropology, and minor tracks in economics, political science and comparative religion.  My work has been published in the Journal of Semiotics, the International Journal of Diversity and Synergy, and has been featured on Witchvox.com as a power essay.  My poetry has been published in the Emerald Coast Review.  Some people don't like me because I have a nasty habit of intervening in the middle of their ideological knee-jerks with inconvenient facts.  You might try reading some of my essays, short stories and poems posted onlist before you make an even bigger fool of yourself by continuing to assert, in the face of massive posted evidence, that I lack intelligence or creativity.
[Dees -1] Who exactly the fuck are you and just exactly what the fuck have you done?  Nothing, I'll wager, except to earn the antipathy of your betters via gratuitous and attention-hungry flaming.
<snip>
[Dees -1] You are the best argument for retroactive abortion that I have recently encountered.  It is amazing to me that millions of years of evolution could culminate in the likes of you.  One can only hope that the error will be corrected and you will fail to reproduce.  To be called nothing by the likes of you is a badge of honor, as one is known by the calibre of their detractors.  By your own admission, you are not wanted here, so why are YOU still sticking around flaming your betters?  The answer is, because your attention-whore epithet is a shining example of a psychological projection of your own sick, twisted and demented tendencies.  You may call my greeting fake (as if you could know, or as if you know much of anything), but you don't even receive those.  And there are many on this board who support me, and have done so in the past; you are just blissfully oblivious of the fact - and, apparently, many others.<snip>

[Hermit] So Mr Dees has still not substantiated an assertion made a long time ago - just keeps on repeating - just as he does here (although with a little less invective this time around, for which small mercy, our thanks).

[Dees] Hermit can't.  He's jealous.  So he attacks what he lacks the skill to equal, as if his envious rhetoric against my work could possibly compensate for the inability to produce poetry of comparable calibre on his part. 

[Hermit] Dees said it before. It appeared to be an invalid internal projection then, and his repeating of it now makes that conclusion more likely to be accurate then and now. From this, in the absense of other indicators, we can only assume that he is still stuck in an infinite regression loop somewhere back there with his now defunct mother. Perhaps he should increase his Lithium intake.
<snip>
[Dees] If you'll go back and look at the first link of my poetry I references, you will note that it was originally posted, and most approvingly so, by this very same Hermit

[Hermit] I note that "look at the first link of my poetry I references" is not conventional English. Now is this poetry? If so, it isn't very good.

[Hermit] Mr Dees, I'm afraid it really must be senility. I looked at the first link you posted, and didn't find this Vogon Work there at all. Instead I found another. Even worse. Why, I even took issue with it when it was first posted. Way back when. Remember.

Re:A Sonnet On a Pissing Contest was RE: virus: Koreshi Fragment

A Sonnet On a Pissing Contest

To babble broken fragments of mystery
Or rambling word association frequently
Is a sign that the speaker and those of his kin
Are standing without, and wouldst rather be in

And there are signs that all this is simply a babble
And not all that is seen is quite on the level
Is that one, two or three? There seems to be doubt
And unsure of themselves, they all start to shout

In voices bereft of reason or rhyme
It used to be seldom, now all of the time
They take recourse to mystical speech most elided
And if you miss allegorical "truths" you're derided

I must say I once hoped for better than this
The memetic mail list, is it just shit and piss?

A better poet (or doggerelist) than I once wrote:
When reason's ray shines over all,
And puts the saints to rout,
Then Peter's holiness will pall,
And Paul's will peter out.

I can quite safely suggest that I think that an intelligent alien reading the vomitings of this group would be convinced that he had seen the darkness at the end of the tunnel. I fear me that I don't see any sign of reason, never mind its "ray". And to this observer, it is the "Saints of the COV" who are being routed.

[Hermit] Now rather than the sycophantic approval you appear to have read into the fact that I pasted certain works of yours onto the BBS, I simply was attempting to deal evenhandedly with you, as you clearly didn't have a clue how to use the BBS back then and I hoped to provide you - and others - with a clue onto how to use the BBS to help yourself and others. A clue which you were quite clearly incapable of comprehending. For example, almost everyone else figured out that they could put their work on a single thread... But we digress.

[Hermit] Your repetition grows drearily boring. You demonstrate that you are incapable of learning every time you enter into a dialog. You demonstrate your unpleasant nature every time somebody takes issue with you. You bring out the stupidity in others by trolling until we err by responding to your blather. You waste time that others could otherwise use to do things which might have value. You trash other people's work when you disagree with it, with all the empathy of a steam roller. And demonstrate the vision of a starfish.

[Hermit] By the by, perhaps Muhammed (sic) Ali could do what he said. Demonstrably, you cannot even say what you do with any degree of accuracy. Or spell his name correctly. But you do share one characteristic with him:
    Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
    Yes sir, yes sir
    It ain't braggin' if it's true
    Mohammed Ali said that
    Back when he was a young man
    Back when he was Casius Clay
    Before he fought too many fights
    And left his brain inside the ring

Tiger Woods on Dan Bern's “Fifty Eggs” Album

[Hermit] You are a fighter. But not a very good fighter. Good fighters need their brains. Welcome back to oblivion.

Plunk.
« Last Edit: 2005-11-14 00:24:35 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2005-11-14 03:11:17 »

« Last Edit: 2005-11-14 03:52:54 by Salamantis » Report to moderator   Logged
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-11-14 12:29:04 »

from here > http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0511/06/snn.01.html

CNN anchor Carol Lin was discussing the riots in France and what had started them, and she said:

"It's been 11 days since two African-American teenagers were killed, electrocuted during a police chase, which prompted all of this."

there you go, people. paris is burning because of 2 african american teens. cnn knows who the enemy is...
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005-11-14 14:16:31 »

Laughs.

Eat your tart out, Pinocchio.

Of course. CNN kkknose.

Rolls eyes.

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2005-11-14 17:12:11 »

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-11-15 03:49:14 »

will you PLEASE stop cutting and pasting the entire fucking article? just give us the link and we have enough brain cells to follow it through..ok?

like this one, for example..how does one respond to something like what you have spewed above..you volunteer NO opinion and there is NOTHING to discuss. maybe you dont have an opinion. if this were to happen irl..imagine that if you can.

joe dees irl clone: "Algerian group calls France 'enemy number one'" says news article.

the rest of us: ok.

joe dees irl clone: "France Says Extremists Are Enlisting Its Citizens. Police Assert Some Trained in Mideast Could Attack Paris." says washingtonpost.

the rest of us: what's your point.

joe dees irl clone: more selective news article quoted

the rest of us: loony.

we will walk away leaving you to talk to yourself.

UNFORTUNATELY, you are squatting in a common ground where the rest of us commune to share and talk and discuss. and keep talking to yourself.

we cannot walk away.

you can.

but you wont.

what would one do in a parallel irl situation?

think about it.

p.s. jonathan davis, i'd be dee-lighted to hear your opinion too.
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2005-11-15 05:04:39 »

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005-11-15 11:41:16 »

i think this is what is called spin. the reason for malcontent among the minority youth in france is because of the unemployment and lack of opportunities. many of them are secular moslems and not even remotely religiously fanatic.

articles like this lack in credibility because they fly in the face of facts that is plastered everywhere else.

i can get you the url links if you want. or you can look it up the net everywhere other than your usual bookmarks. there is plenty of discussion about the whys and why nots.
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 2005-11-15 13:12:24 »

Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: