logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 18:28:54 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

The Brights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The Brights  (Read 888 times)
Tas6
Adept

Rate Tas6

Virian Alchemist

View Profile E-Mail
The Brights
« on: 2009-10-13 11:12:22 »

I have recently been investigating the "Brights." Does any one here have any info that could further my investigations?

Thanks,
Tas6
Report to moderator   Logged

"Funny goggles and Frankenstein, what real science should be!"
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:The Brights
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-13 14:56:46 »

I assume this is what you are talking about. I know that wikipedia noticed it, but I'm not sure too many others have. Basically I think its simply a re-iteration of many "freethinker" movements. The "Naturalistic world view" simply stands as another way of saying "evolution" in my mind, and I'm somehow sure the "Brights" see it in a similar way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brights_movement
Quote:
The Brights movement is a social movement that aims to promote public understanding and acknowledgment of the naturalistic world view. It was co-founded by Paul Geisert and Mynga Futrell in 2003.
The noun bright was coined by Geisert as a positive-sounding umbrella term, and Futrell defined it as "an individual whose worldview is naturalistic (free from supernatural and mystical elements)".[1] Daniel Dennett has since suggested that people that believe in supernatural should be referred to as 'supers'.
This created the basis for a civic constituency to pursue the movement's three major aims:
Promote public understanding and acknowledgment of the naturalistic worldview, which is free of supernatural and mystical elements.
Gain public recognition that persons who hold such a worldview can bring principled actions to bear on matters of civic importance.
Educate society toward accepting the full and equitable civic participation of all such people.
The brights movement has been formed as an Internet constituency of individuals. Its hub is The Brights' Net website[2], but individuals have autonomy to speak for themselves. The Brights' Net's tagline is now: "Illuminating and Elevating the Naturalistic Worldview".
« Last Edit: 2009-10-13 14:57:28 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-13 15:09:41 »

P.S. I'm sure many "Brights" would see us in the CoV as "Bright" because we accept evolutionary paradigms. In any case "Bright" is not a term of our invention but I would expect that the CoV PoV would be compatible with it. We optimistically base our PoV primarily on the virtues of Reason, Empathy, and Vision. If that's "Bright" then so be it.

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-13 17:25:00 »

Many Virians are Brights.

Some Brights are Virians.

It is a sweet idea, but it may be more appropriate in less aggressively religious parts of the world. For the buckle of the babble belt "quiet atheism" along the lines of "don't ask, don't tell" seems safer - at least until bugged by a proselytizer - when only an appropriate "in your face" "strong atheism" response - or "conversion" - suffices to get the opposition to leave you in peace.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-13 21:20:49 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2009-10-13 17:25:00   
Many Virians are Brights.

Some Brights are Virians.

It is a sweet idea, but it may be more appropriate in less aggressively religious parts of the world. For the buckle of the babble belt "quiet atheism" along the lines of "don't ask, don't tell" seems safer - at least until bugged by a proselytizer - when only an appropriate "in your face" "strong atheism" response - or "conversion" - suffices to get the opposition to leave you in peace.

I pretty much assume any proselytizer deserves whatever may come their way as a result. As far as religion goes, if, and only if asked, I just tell them what I think just as easy as if I was discussing the weather or any other pleasant conversation. I don't really get too animated about religious discussions . . . politics is another thing though and one often leads to the other, so I tend to keep my powder dry for the political fireworks. In any case, I always try to find something to enjoy about a conversation or the person I'm having it with.

I suppose I first learned this in dealing with my evangelical Southern Baptist grandmother. I always wanted her to entertain me even though I was never going to believe like she wanted. So we would have some ongoing religious/philosophical discussion. Evolution REALLY was inconcievable to her and I wasn't as good at articulating it as I am now. So it was usually easy to break it up with a card game or something like that. She always self-identified as a Democrat . . . though in her old age she sometimes voted on the anti-abortion issue which we all knew usually meant a Republican.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-13 21:33:53 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Tas6
Adept

Rate Tas6

Virian Alchemist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2009-10-15 10:52:36 »

Thank you for all for the impute, it will help me on furthering my personal investigations towards my goal of Sapient living.

Tas6

"Funny goggles and Frankenstein, what real science should be!"
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: