logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-18 22:57:23 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Infections

Brooklyn
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Brooklyn  (Read 31109 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Brooklyn
« on: 2011-10-22 22:46:35 »

Here's KMO and me in Brooklyn last week (Oct 17) shortly before he interviewed me for the C-Realm Podcast about the Singularity Summit.

(That's KMO's hat I'm wearing, as seen on the back cover of his book.)
 kmo2.jpg
« Last Edit: 2011-10-22 22:51:44 by David Lucifer »
Report to moderator   Logged

Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-23 17:51:54 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2011-10-22 22:46:35   

Here's KMO and me in Brooklyn last week (Oct 17) shortly before he interviewed me for the C-Realm Podcast about the Singularity Summit.

(That's KMO's hat I'm wearing, as seen on the back cover of his book.)

Cool Photo ! So how was the Conference ? Some first had feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Fritz

PS: Black Stetson instead, I'm think'in, just say'in .. the whole Lucifer thing ya know

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-25 10:58:19 »

Conference was excellent. I got to hang out with old friends Duane (2nd person ever to join Virus) and Ophis.

Kurzweil's keynote was a bit disappointing, I had seen him give essentially the same talk 3 times before.

Here are some notes from Ophis:

Amazing presentation by Dr.Badylak from the McGowan Institute of Regenerative Medicine. Very impressive results in regrowing muscles and esophageal canal!

A few good nuggets from Peter Thiel's presentation. "If the FDA as we know it existed 60 years ago, they never would have approved the Polio vaccine". Couldn't agree more!

James McLurkin's presentation with live demo of robotic swarm was awesome!

Wolfram talking a lot about himself, his predictions, his pet projects, and his WolframAlpha. I'm dozing off...

Inspiring talk by Jason Silva! We need to inspire and make the future sexy!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/08/05/jason-silva-muses-on-humans-turning-into-gods/

Eliezer Yudkowsky, as usual, found a way to make lots of Baysian probabilistic formulas entertaining!

AWGross made interesting projections about Global AGI's likelihood to emerge from the financial industry. With network roundtrips from New York to London in under 60ms no less!

Presentation on the history of Bayes Theorem. Never thought Bayes had been the source of so much controversy!

David Brin made a very entertaining speech on how to bridge the communication gap between God Makers and God Worshipers.

Tyler Cowen on his book The Great Stagnation. His excellent antidote: Provide a vision of the future that justifies additional investment in sciences to jump-start innovation in stagnating industries. I'll be buying his book today!

John Maulding's talk was very engaging! He covered the upcoming popping of the Government bubble, and the "Millenium Wave" of innovation coming right after.

Dileep George presented his company's (Vicarious) approach at implementing a general AI. Brain structures, World hierarchies, and probability algorithms come together. Fun, but very superficial.

Jaan Tallinn (founder of Skype) talked about the birth of a movement to handle "Level 3" challenges. Inspired by OvercomingBias.com and LessWrong.com. Beautiful presentation done using a software called Prezi.

Absolutely fantastic presentation of IBM Watson's architecture and IBM's plans to commercialize the technology in Healthcare. My favorite presentation so far. Less futuristic than some other presentations, but this is real tech that exists and inspires today in 2011.

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2011-11-03 09:39:53 »

282: Techno Hopes, Dreams, & Expectations

KMO, Olga K, and Albert Bates take the C-Realm Podcast on the road. First Stop: the ASPO-USA conference in Washington DC. Podcasting from the home of C-Realm guest Gary Borjesson, KMO talks with Albert and Olga about the trip itinerary, and KMO plays conversations with James Howard Kunstler, David McFadzean, and Nikola Danaylov, AKA Socrates of the Singularity Weblog, on the topic of technology. Do accelerating returns in the advancement information technology yield corresponding improvements in human quality of life, or have we reached a point of diminishing marginal returns? Music by Kai Altair.
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2011-11-03 21:28:16 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2011-11-03 09:39:53   

282: Techno Hopes, Dreams, & Expectations

KMO, Olga K, and Albert Bates take the C-Realm Podcast on the road. First Stop: the ASPO-USA conference in Washington DC. Podcasting from the home of C-Realm guest Gary Borjesson, KMO talks with Albert and Olga about the trip itinerary, and KMO plays conversations with James Howard Kunstler, David McFadzean, and Nikola Danaylov, AKA Socrates of the Singularity Weblog, on the topic of technology. Do accelerating returns in the advancement information technology yield corresponding improvements in human quality of life, or have we reached a point of diminishing marginal returns? Music by Kai Altair.

Well ya know .... stubbled across this ... and as the "Digital Afterlife" is upon us, this sure makes me reflect as well on the "diminishing returns side".
"

deathswitch.com

Death Switch sends out emails after you die, or at least after it stops hearing from you.  http://deathswitch.com/

The Economist Oct 8nd 2011 http://www.economist.com/node/21531109 Beyond the PC

Has an worth while read on were the computing technology is going and what is driving it. If you read between the lines the process of interconnecting us is well underway and building of a depencence on the connectivity to function is inevitiable to me .... seems there was Star Trek Next Generation about the "Binars"

Cheers

Fritz

PS: Thank-you for the updates on this thread, it opened up yet another perspective for me. CoV is cool

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: