logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-05 13:13:39 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2004

virus: Reading the list
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: virus: Reading the list  (Read 2596 times)
JD
Adept

Rate JD

View Profile
RE: virus: Reading the list
« Reply #15 on: 2004-06-04 05:32:09 »

Excellent points. 

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-virus@lucifer.com [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of
Keith Henson
Sent: 04 June 2004 00:15
To: virus@lucifer.com
Subject: Re: virus: Reading the list

At 08:41 AM 03/06/04 -0400, you wrote:
> > Reading this list has become so unrewarding that I just delete the
> > whole thing unread every few days.
>
>Perhaps it was a mistake to lift the ban on war discussions. Are there
>any subscribers left that agree?

War discussions are not the problem.  In fact, my main interest in the last
year has been about the origin of war.

The problem is the *level* of the discussion.  A memetics (and evolutionary
psychology) discussion list should be focused on the meta level and not the
level of specific current political arguments no matter what merit they may
have.

Current war discussion should only be brought up to illustrate a point.

Keith Henson

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to
<http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:virus: Reading the list
« Reply #16 on: 2004-06-04 07:31:40 »

Isn't it strange how frequently a challenge failed - or avoided - seems to be repeated until one successfully grasps the nettle. It probably is simply a "false perception correlation effect" due to our tendency to remember the things that annoy or embarrass us, and forget the good things which happen almost as frequently, but are not ascribed the same importance. In this particular instance, a glimpse at "Topic: CoV rescue plan", dated 2002-09-25 et ff might be educational. There were many wise observations then - a great deal of which need more than a one-line summary as they tended to transcend putative "topic bans" - with all the subjectivity they imply. What has changed since then? Are we still "sick"?

Some suggestions, many recycled, a few possibly worth considering:

it may be time to kill the maillist entirely - as was intended a while ago.

it may be time to turn the maillist into an "announce only" format, possibly:
  allowing members to communicate via the BBS - with or without BBS moderation or extentions.
  introducing a network news transport with some form of filtering as an alternative to the mail system
  introducing an rss feed system - or systems - allowing interested parties to create their own syndicated perspectives on the CoV
  allowing only certain levels of virians (as determined by reputation, selection or post karma) to be forwarded to the list
  allowing moderators to forward items to the list
  forwarding items to the list based on BBS ratings

it may be time to reexamine disciplinary procedures

it may be time to ask people to leave if they don't fit... and kick them if they won't go.

it may be time to ban or suppress messages probably based on karma clicks

it may be time to suppress the visibility of posters based on meridion ratings and/or other methods (e.g.friend and enemy listings).

it may be time to silence or ban posters for perceived "rudeness"

I was going to do more, but a very unhappy lady asked what I had accomplished in the last 24 hours. And as I couldn't give her a particularly meaningful response, I need to go and do other things...

Kind Regards
Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
ElvenSage
Adept

Rate ElvenSage

Think for yourself, question authority.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2004-06-05 16:14:01 »

Moving the political discussion off the BBS is a good idea I think.  Now how about we put up a regulation where Joe and Hermit are not allowed to reply or respond to each other.  They obviously can't see that their long-going argument is silly.  So let's just do that.  I'm not down with kicking anyone, or silencing what they have to say.  Some moderation would help tough.

Safe from the pain and truth and choice and other poison devils
See.. they don't give a fuck about you, like i do.
Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Go back to sleep
Go Back to sleep
Hermitess
Adept

Rate Hermitess

Zhizn' prekrasna i udivitel'na!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2004-06-05 18:37:16 »

Quote from: ElvenSage on 2004-06-05 16:14:01   

Moving the political discussion off the BBS is a good idea I think.  Now how about we put up a regulation where Joe and Hermit are not allowed to reply or respond to each other.  They obviously can't see that their long-going argument is silly.  So let's just do that.  I'm not down with kicking anyone, or silencing what they have to say.  Some moderation would help tough.
Dear Elvensage,

Is it silly to object to having Joe Dees continuously casting aspersions, making controversial assertions and employing innuendo on a continuous basis against the Hermit and anyone else who dares to disagree with him? Is it silly to object to seeing the list being flooded with infantile and badly written articles about how the US should destroy the planet? Is it silly to say that Joe Dees hasnt been able to try to justify himself with "but I'm just responding to what Hermit said..." for nine months - because Hermit hasn't been here.

If these are not silly, then why is Hermit silly for saying them? Please ask yourself if the CoV is richer or poorer when people like Hermit cant bear to be involved in it? I think that the CoV looks like a genetically engineered hybrid between a Republican convention, a gang war, a psychiatric ward and a no rules grudge match. How many people other than angry mentally unstable children do you think find this attractive? Who does? Maybe Joe Dees. Who else? Ask Joe Dees what he feels about the CoV? Do you think he is doing what he does here to make the CoV grow? To make it more attractive to others? To make it a friendly environment for the other Virians? If that is not what he is writing for, then why is he here? Why do you let him keep doing what he does?

I know that I dont like it. I know that Hermit doesnt like it. I know that other Virians dont like it - because we talk and because some of them have written here. I know that we stayed away after Mermaid attacked Hermit and David thought Hermit overreacted, because Hermit thought that he was too involved that the CoV had cost him enough friends and perhaps Mermaid, Metahuman, you and the others blaming him were right. If he left it might improve. But it hasnt, has it? So what will make things improve? If David and the rest of you keep ignoring the problems, do you think they will go away? If David thinks that attacks are not worth doing anything about unless they are obvious to strangers then they will go on.

I think the trouble is that the Virians are not strangers. A lot of them know each other well enough to be very hurtful to each other when they are angry or upset. When that happens, somebody has to stop it quickly before it gets worse. And if it keeps happening, I think that you should simply tell people who cant behave nicely that they need to go somewhere else - just the same way as you would if this were a school. You keep having the same problem, a person who isn't here to make the CoV a better place. You need to find a way to say goodbye to them rather than having to destroy the CoV itself in the hope they will go away.

Sincerely

Hermitess
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2004-06-05 19:10:56 »

[[ author reputation (1.96) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2004-06-05 21:24:14 by Joe Dees » Report to moderator   Logged
Hermitess
Adept

Rate Hermitess

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2004-06-05 19:54:35 »

Perhaps, as Joe Dees says, I am blinded by love, lying, the complaint helpmate, biased and so on, all of which are I suppose better than a "crackwhore slut" which is what Joe Dees has called me in the past, but if this is the case, can Joe Dees explain what is blinding everyone else?

http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=repIndex

Hermit - "Strong positive opinion"
Joe Dees - "Little or no redeeming value"

Hermitess
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2004-06-05 21:19:54 »

[[ author reputation (1.96) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2004-06-05 21:21:44 by Joe Dees » Report to moderator   Logged
rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #22 on: 2004-06-06 10:35:55 »

I thought we were already on our way to figure out some next steps to make CoV more meaningful and relevant, when a *very unfortunate* disruption predictably set everyone back to a *very popular* defensive grassroots mindset. I cannot suggest that we return to the initial thread of reasoning now. The time is just not right for that any more.  Do as you please.

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2004-06-06 11:33:01 »

I dont believe that the person who is writing as Hermitess is indeed the Hermitess I know. If it is not Hermit using her name, then it is still not the person I know and love. I know my friend, Hermitess and I know how she reacts basing on how she has reacted in the past. My friend would never get involved and invoke my name. Ciao, whoever you are.
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2004-06-06 11:37:24 »

['Hermitess'] I know that I dont like it. I know that Hermit doesnt like it. I know that other Virians dont like it - because we talk and because some of them have written here. I know that we stayed away after Mermaid attacked Hermit and David thought Hermit overreacted, because Hermit thought that he was too involved that the CoV had cost him enough friends and perhaps Mermaid, Metahuman, you and the others blaming him were right. If he left it might improve. But it hasnt, has it? So what will make things improve? If David and the rest of you keep ignoring the problems, do you think they will go away? If David thinks that attacks are not worth doing anything about unless they are obvious to strangers then they will go on.

[Mermaid]This incident that the 'Hermitess' speaks of occured 'behind the scenes'. The rest of the virians dont know what it is...Hermit was keen to conceal it and won the support of the 'council'. I had no choice over the matter. I kept my word by not discussing it. Hermitess, should you be speaking of things where you have not been involved.

BTW, I hope you recd my birthday wishes for your daughter. I was expecting a reply. It was well before you found the time to defend Hermit over an issue you dont know about fully. You were probably busy then.
Hermitess
Adept

Rate Hermitess

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2004-06-06 12:42:16 »

Am I a none person and a none virian because I am Hermits partner? First Limbic said so, and now Mermaid. Is this how the CoV works? Is everyone except me happy about this? I see what Hermit meant about what the CoV does to friends. Mermaid, phone or email me. I don't need friendship used as a stick.

Hermitess
simul
Adept

Rate simul

I am a lama.
simultaneous zoneediterik
View Profile WWW
Re: virus: Reading the list
« Reply #26 on: 2004-06-06 13:08:41 »

Group mind works best when each individual acts of his own volition.  We all know this instinctively.

Thus any group, such as COV, will react negatively to the perception that two or members have formed a “bloc”, supporting each other without personal analysis of the other's argument.

-----Original Message-----
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 10:42:17
To:virus@lucifer.com
Subject: Re:virus: Reading the list

Am I a none person and a none virian because I am Hermits partner? First Limbic said so, and now Mermaid. Is this how the CoV works? Is everyone except me happy about this? I see what Hermit meant about what the CoV does to friends. Mermaid, phone or email me. I don't need friendship used as a stick.

Hermitess

----
This message was posted by Hermitess to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30419>
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

---

First, read Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", and then read http://electionmethods.org.
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2004-06-06 13:20:32 »

Quote from: Hermitess on 2004-06-06 12:42:16   

Hermitess

huh? even *I* was not given a voice during the said incident at the end of which Hermit decided to boycott CoV...and *I* was involved..the rest of Virus was not told of the proceedings...should you be involved because you are Hermit's partner? Friendship as a stick? Funny, you should ask me more about that. There has more I have endured from your partner in the name of friendship. I resent you bringing me into this shitfest. Hermit just used your handle to inch back into the conversation. He should have just fucking left my name out of it. If you support that....hey!! I am done with friendship used as a stick too!...I did leave a message by phone *and* email.
rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #28 on: 2004-06-06 13:24:54 »

[Mermaid]
This incident that the 'Hermitess' speaks of occured 'behind the scenes'. The rest of the virians dont know what it is...Hermit was keen to conceal it and won the support of the 'council'. I had no choice over the matter. I kept my word by not discussing it. Hermitess, should you be speaking of things where you have not been involved.

[rhinoceros]
Ok, since I don't see any more value in keeping that incident "a secret", since misconceptions seem to generate lots of false assumption and mistrust, I'll break the deal.

I was a member of the makeshift council (a committee, it was called) which addressed that issue several months ago. So, Lucifer, Kharin and I were behind the scenes (chosen because of our reputation ratings), Hermit and Mermaid were at the corridor, and everyone else was suposed to be outside. The secrecy deal was something we did to keep this conflit from becoming the topic of the discussions on the mailing list. To my best knowledge, this is all there was to it.

The secrecy deal proved to be a stupid idea. All kinds of weird stuff started flying in the air. We should have given a very complete account -- even after resolvig the issue. The incident itself was actually very simple and anticlimactic:

- Hermit filed a complaint against Mermaid for a personal attack against him, and that complaint was flatly rejected. Exactly so. Not the other way around, as some seem to think.

The specifics of the incident were always in the IRC logs for enyone to see. I hope this post will help stop any unfounded speculations which I have been hearing for a long time.

ElvenSage
Adept

Rate ElvenSage

Think for yourself, question authority.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2004-06-06 20:07:35 »

Yea, infact there was a lot of discussion about making the counsil public because it was realized that keeping it secret had no meaning.  I think at the time it was just felt that we might have to discuss things and do some things non-publicly to help clean up the CoV.  I must admit it failed.  The same things keep happening over and over.  I think Rhino had some good points.  But it's not time to flame the war on even more, it's time to just find a resolution.  Whatever it may be.  I would like to see Hermit and Joe both stay.  They have both contributed so much to the CoV.

Would it be too much to ask to have you two, Joe and Hermit, just not respond to each other if you even think it -might- start a flame war?  Is it to much to ask to just have both of you drop the issue... and act like it never happened?  That's what kids learn to do in pre-schools and such during lose-lose situations.

Lets just restore the peace, please.  I wish I could make you two just apologize to each other and get back to being pals, but I know both of you hold onto your pride too much to do that.  So... refer to the paragraph above.

Safe from the pain and truth and choice and other poison devils
See.. they don't give a fuck about you, like i do.
Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Go back to sleep
Go Back to sleep
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: