logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-18 23:04:55 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Abandon all hope all ye software that enters here...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Abandon all hope all ye software that enters here...  (Read 598 times)
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
Abandon all hope all ye software that enters here...
« on: 2008-10-20 03:02:19 »

[letheomaniac] I am a huge fan of the old school VGA games from the 80's, the ones with pixels the size of your head and sounds that make you want to stick screwdrivers into your PC speaker. So, the other day i was surfing for some of these DOS monstrosities and i discovered a new term that goes in the 'ware family of words - abandonware (n.) - a DOS game so old that its creators have long since ceased to try and make money out of it, and in fact probably wouldn't own up to creating in the first place if you aked them. As a result it it freely available for download to any poor fool that wants to spend a few hours trying to get a game that doesn't even know what a 'Window' is to run. Hours of primitive fun!
Report to moderator   Logged

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Abandon all hope all ye software that enters here...
« Reply #1 on: 2008-10-20 06:48:50 »

If you can find a way to run them, I recommend Zork and the other Infocom games. Particularly the "detective" games. I also recommend Loderunner :-)

Kindest Regads

Hermit
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Abandon all hope all ye software that enters here...
« Reply #2 on: 2008-10-20 21:07:42 »

[letheomaniac] or if you want to try something really scary, text based, I know it doesn't get much scarier then a CLI but it is addictive and a pencil and paper and drawing a map as the world unfolds is recommended unless your memory is relentless , see below I posted it at CoV

[Hermit] Lode Runner on an Apple II with a green mono screen, the flash backs are starting, [Hermit] once again your impeccable taste is wondrous to behold, it was/is just the most addictive and brilliant game to while away the hours as the PDP-11 sysgen compiled and relinked for 6 hours.

Cheers

Thanks for the flash backs

Fritz

http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=42052

Reply #3 attachment Leather.zip  'The Leather Goddess of Phobos' a pre-pixel classic with the feel of the old PDP-11 adventure game

PS[letheomaniac] If you find a PC version of Lode Runner please post the link !
« Last Edit: 2008-10-20 21:10:04 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: