logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-23 18:44:00 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Air Force Demonstrates 'Ghost Imaging'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Air Force Demonstrates 'Ghost Imaging'  (Read 1443 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« on: 2008-06-03 13:57:41 »

[Blunderov] Sublime science. The intention behind it perhaps not so much...

"Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, Oh how I wish he'd go away." *

Vector:
http://blog.wired.com/defense/atom.xml

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123100828
Ghost-imaging could have satellite application
by Maria Callier
Air Force Office of Scientific Research Public Affairs

5/30/2008 - ARLINGTON, Va. (AFPN)  -- Investigators funded by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research are conducting research under the name of "ghost-imaging," where a visual image of an object is created by means of light that has never interacted with the object.

The new technology may result in a more versatile use of field sensors, and have space applications.

University of Maryland, Baltimore Campus, professor (Dr.) Yanhua Shih initiated ghost-imaging research in 1995, by using entangled photons. In the experiment, one photon passed through stenciled patterns in a mask to trigger a detector, and another photon was captured by a second detector. Surprisingly, an image of the pattern between the two detectors appeared, which the physics community called ghost-imaging.

In an article entitled "Reflection of a Ghost" that appeared in April's Physical Review, fellow researcher Dr. Keith Deacon indicated that ghost-imaging appears promising for future applications to satellite technology. Dr. Deacon said he believes ghost-imaging may enable a satellite to be equipped with a detector and that would be coupled with a second camera that would take images of the sun. That combination of technologies could generate ghost images of the Earth's surface, even if there are obstructing atmospheric conditions.

Dr. Shih and fellow researchers, Drs. Ron Meyers and Keith Deacon of the U.S. Army Research Laboratory, have created ghost images this year, using thermal light. The three scientists combined the signals from two detectors, one that collected light from a toy soldier and another that took a digital picture of the light source.

Ghost-imaging is similar to taking a flash-lit photo of an object using a normal camera. The image forms from photons that come out of the flash, bounce off the object, and then are focused through the lens onto photo-reactive film or a charge-coupled array.

"But, in this case, the image is not formed from light that hits the object and bounces back," Dr. Shih said. "The camera collects photons from the light sources that did not hit the object, but are paired through a quantum effect with others that did. An image of the toy begins to appear after approximately a thousand pairs of photons are recorded.
"My goal is to delve deeply into the physics of the ghost-imaging phenomenon, complete the theory of that technology and improve the technique toward practical, nonlocal sensing-imaging applications, especially for the Air Force," Dr. Shih said.

*http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question37160.html

<snip>classictvnut

This verse, titled "Antigonish" was written by William Hughes Mearns in 1899. William Hughes Mearns, better known as Hughes Mearns (1875-1965) was an American Educator and Poet. He wrote two books which are credited for fueling the educational trend of creative writing. A longer version of this poem, found on en.wikiquote.org starts and ends with the verse you cited but has this verse in between: "When I came home last night at three/The man was waiting there for me/
But when I looked around the hall/I couldn't see him there at all!/Go away, go away, don't you come back any more!/Go away, go away, and please don't slam the door... (slam!)"

Apr 17 07, 2:02 PM </snip>
Report to moderator   Logged
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Air Force Demonstrates 'Ghost Imaging'
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-03 14:41:30 »

Quote:
[Blunderov] Sublime science. The intention behind it perhaps not so much...

[fritz]So clearly the British security agencies will want this technology, but how will the images work with music video productions 

.... neat .... Is this related to transporting photons by stopping them in some sort of plasma field; experiments ?

Cheers

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-03 18:24:18 »

The phenomenon is one of many related to entanglement - you may find the Bell Cambridge experiments fascinating. Einstein (incorrectly) rejected the concept even though the Bell inequalities were based on his work, referring to it (scathingly) as "spooky action at a distance." The repeat of the experiments (with IBM sponsorship) at Vienna confirmed many aspects of entangled particles.

And a variation on a theme:

"Protigonish"

Last night upon the stair,
I met a girl who didn't care.
She didn't care again today,
I love it when they get that way.

When I came home,last night at three,
The girl came right along with me!
Our cries resounded in the hall,
My neighbor thumping on the wall!
Still we banged on four hours or more;
A marathon till my rubber tore.

The girl said again she did not care
But still I'm pulling out my hair.
The girl looked swollen up today,
I fear she's in the family way.

Copyright Hermit 2008
« Last Edit: 2008-06-04 00:28:09 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2008-10-18 22:58:05 »

[Fritz]The military does interesting things with our dwindling dollars

US Air Force outlines combat raygun safety
Exposure to death ray may cause death

Source:The Register
Author: Austin Modine 
Date: 16th October 2008 23:

Just because the US Air Force wants to arm itself with deadly combat rayguns doesn't mean it's about to skimp on safety. No sir.

With great power (say, a weapons grade 100 kilowatt blaster cannon) comes great responsibility (a 32-page safety manual).

A recently published Air Force Instruction paper has established a safety program for Directed Energy Weapons (DEWs), also affectionately known as death rays.

Rest assured compliance is mandatory.

"DEW systems create unique hazards that are different from conventional and nuclear weapons," the paper informs. "Potential DEW systems covered by this instruction include, but are not limited to, high-energy lasers, weaponized microwave and millimeter wave beams, explosive-driven electromagnetic pulse devices, acoustic weapons, laser induced plasma channel systems, non-lethal directed energy devices, and atomic-scale and subatomic particle beam weapons."

Variety is the very spice of life, a fellow once said.

The Air Force instructions will implement a safety program for DEW devices, including raygun safety certification and proper field use guidelines for when a system finally is operational.

Among the considerations is identifying a DEW device's hazardous effects. This includes "potential hazards due to tissue or material heating" and possible "exposure to burning materials." There's also effects on the user to ponder: "Scattered or sidelobe energy, radiofrequency energy interference, ionizing radiation, and potential fratricide," for instance.

Another key point is finding out what happens when Airman Butterfingers gets at the controls. The Air Force wishes to know effects due to troublesome "beam drifting" and "failure to achieve pointing accuracy."

Death ray controls are also important. The Air Force directs that DEWs include adjustable power levels as appropriate to the mission. After all, nothing is more embarrassing than leaving your phaser on kill. It also wisely instructs that there should be some way to "terminate the beam at the end of its useful path."

On the administrative side, death rays should include sufficient documentation including training manuals and operating checklists. To the greatest extent possible, hazards and hazardous effects should also be identified on the system, the instruction states.

"Install visual or audible beam-warning devices independent of DEW system in areas where personnel may be exposed to radiation in excess to the Maximum Permissible Exposure, when it will not compromise the mission."

There will be times, however, when due to critical operational need, Air Force personnel will be intentionally exposed to a DEW, the instruction states. The unit must ensure these exposures are done in accordance with established limits. Additionally, commanders must ensure risks are appropriately weighed against their operational requirements. Appropriate police exemptions must have been obtained, and these exposures will become a part of the individual's occupational exposure record.

A copy of the Instructions is available here. Hat tip to Secrecy News for first spotting the publication

http://regmedia.co.uk/2008/10/16/afdeathraysafety.pdf

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: