logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-18 00:50:26 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Groupthink and the Intellectual Elite
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Groupthink and the Intellectual Elite  (Read 547 times)
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
Groupthink and the Intellectual Elite
« on: 2006-12-17 11:43:39 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Perplextus
Adept

Rate Perplextus

View Profile E-Mail
Re:Groupthink and the Intellectual Elite
« Reply #1 on: 2006-12-30 13:05:29 »

Interesting that this came from Orson Scott Card, BYU alumni--not sure if he's still a mormon, but he at least was at one point.

I quite agree with much of what he says, at least regarding "Theoretics" in humanities and social science departments.  A friend of mine here at the University of California at Santa Cruz is enrolled as a grad student in the "Digital Arts and New Media" program (amusingly referred to as "DANM" for short), and recently lamented to me about a lecture given on the racism inherent in the practice of photography--due to the concept of "white balance".

But really..."ridicule is the only solution"?  It doesn't work on Christians, why should it work on theoreticians?  Internal dissent is, and always has been, the ticket to paradigm shift.  Groupthink is perpetuated because such absurd theories are considered too ridiculous to merit thorough refutation, and often inspire the critics to abandon the discipline and let the absurdity continue and grow. 

For my part, from day one as a university student I've never let a professor get away with false pseudo-intellectual "theoretics".  My freshman year, a music professor who designed a computer program that could generate scores reminiscent of various composers--by way of algorithmically recombining themes and motifs from input scores of that composer's work--gave a talk on how all music is imitation.  When I pressed him on the origins of music, do you know what he replied?  That human music originated as the imitation of bird song.  He was nearly laughed out of the lecture hall.  In the philosophy department here, many of my peers are hell-bent on refuting everything that comes out of a professor's mouth, even if it's perfectly sensible!  Why should it not be so in other departments?  Are the professors better with rhetoric, or are the students just more intellectually complacent?  One wonders. 
Report to moderator   Logged

Praise Bob!
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: