logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-18 00:31:04 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

A Topic which has been mentioned before...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: A Topic which has been mentioned before...  (Read 452 times)
Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
A Topic which has been mentioned before...
« on: 2006-12-29 11:58:42 »

Designer Babies, Genetic Engineering, Cyborg Technology etc... we are moving towards are world which is will be possible and then some. After watching This video on Building Gods (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1079797626827646234) I realized just how far we can go. At first I found no real interest in Robots as though they make life easier, they don't work with me. However 35 odd minutes in they started they brought up the possiblity of implementing it into our bodies and this is when I became intrigued. Personally I would prefer to stay as a biological organism with all my human traits but be genetically alter to a more ideal state. But in this case with a chip in my mind improving my memory and the like, also allowing for a more durile body, is something I'd be happy to take on.

The most often thing brought up is the moral conclusion, I think the easy way to solve this is to push for the more suitable people to breed rather than those who can't get away from there problems, I seriously don't understand why people with so many issues breed where as those who have it all choose not to. It's such a simple concept, if you can't offer your Child a good chance in life then why bother forcing them to suffer through hell? Also if they have physical and mental problems but can afford to prevent their children from getting them then why not? See heres the thing, I have so much wrong with me, I have bad eye site, a disease which causes me to shake and my body is bung, I would give anything to get rid of this but because people push the moral code down the scientists throat there is very little chance I will be able to.

I believe we should let go of all the implications they think this can cause and work towards it, maybe not for us but at least give the next generation something. I'll probably give a better post tomorrow, but for now feel free to post your thoughts.
« Last Edit: 2006-12-29 11:59:21 by Bass » Report to moderator   Logged
Perplextus
Adept

Rate Perplextus

View Profile E-Mail
Re:A Topic which has been mentioned before...
« Reply #1 on: 2006-12-30 11:58:49 »

In regard to why the biologically/circumstancially less-fortunate tend to reproduce more frequently than those whom are more fortunate, I feel I should remind you of what reproduction actually is: self-perpetuation.  Though we as animals reproduce sexually, and thus produce genetically-distinct offspring, our offspring are the only form of genetic perpetuation available to us.  Though they are distinct individuals, our offspring are still in some form "us"...they are felt instinctually to be a sort of "immortality".  When one's life is threatened, the reproductive instinct is kicked into higher gear; hypochondriac that I am, I've often felt this when faced with what I feared was a threatening illness.  Imagining that I had cancer, or ALS, or whatever frightful condition I most recently happened to have read up on, my strongest and most immediate impulse was toward reproduction.  I would tell myself that if I was actually diagnosed with something, I would immediately attempt to procreate.  Such impulses are highly irrational, but I weyken they are simply outgrowths of the self-preservation instinct.  Thus, I'm tempted to conclude that it is precisely the threat of death which is the most potent aphrodisiac, and that is why those of the most hearty biological condition and the greatest social success find less motivation for reproduction.

At any rate, I'm not going to be very tempted towards mechanical/cybernetic augmentation of my biological structure until someone designs an operating system that is completely crash-proof.  Software designers can scarcely handle the comparative simplicity of a personal computer; what incentive would I have to trust them with the complexity of a device capable of interfacing directly with my organs?
Report to moderator   Logged

Praise Bob!
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: