logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 19:18:29 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Intelligence: Gift or Curse
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Intelligence: Gift or Curse  (Read 710 times)
Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
Intelligence: Gift or Curse
« on: 2006-11-30 13:13:51 »

This perhaps is one of the oldest questions Mankind asks itself?

Your views on it philosphically and literally. I have a few takes and ways of looking at this.

During wars, scientists are used to develop weaponry. That's pretty much the only time I can see people being 'forced' into using intelligence as for, or as a bad thing, and even that was decades ago. I can't see that happening again.

It's the intelligent people that run the world, and I don't think it should be any other way. As for the people that say it's a curse, even if a person is extremely intelligent, they have the option of using their intelligence or not. If they wanted to, they could just as easily pretend they're not intelligent at all. Though I can't see why anyone would do that.

But as they say "ignorance is bliss". In some ways, I feel this is correct. The truth can sometimes lead to sadness.

In another aspect, I favour knowing more than being in the dark about things. I like the learn and hear about new things, and I like knowing about things. I feel it depends on the individual. Dangerous people who make bombs and stuff... No, that's definately a disadvantage.

In perfect honesty, I feel that true intelligence, or wisdom, is the pinnacle of the human experience.

I feel that knowing exactly what your world is about and why things happen is amazing to me. For example. Understanding the snowflake, how it is made, and what causes it to be made is as beautiful as a piece of wonderful art.

You could  bring up the example of people who create bombs, and things to harm others... in my mind, I wouldn't really consider these people "intelligent". It's like if you know how something is made, you can do it... That’s not necessarily being smart, but if you know how what you can make can benefit society, you've shown intelligence, Sure, they know their stuff when it comes to chemicals, and physics, and the like, but they aren't world savvy, and they certainly don't have what I would call the "human-intelligence" That is, Compassion, and understanding of the human condition, so much so that to hurt another living being in such a way would degrade their own existence.

Intelligence, like everything in the world is a double edged sword. There are times when it is a great gift and there are times when it is a burden to one's existance. I personally like to think that the 'true' intelligence is a gift. It is pretty much the essense of the human existance.

Unfortunatly, Intelligence is also misused by the stupider. The bomb example for instance, nucleur energy can be used to provide cheap mass power, yet it was the bomb that was made first.

True intellegence to me goes beyond spirituality (religion) or even naturalism (which is a higher order of thought). It is truly knowing yourself, which is a solely personal jounrney. Once you do this, the world is suddenly a much simpler place.

It's a curse when you give too much importance on it or when people depend too much on the knowledgeable one that they forget how to use their own heads when in problematic situations. Advice is good, but letting the smart person control your life makes you a lazy person, unless that smart person is you.

It can be a curse if you are forced to do what you don't feel like doing. (This can happen, you know...) It can be gift when you can easily do what you want to do because you have the knowledge.

It was good when chloroflourocarbon was made and used so that air conditioners will not be toxic to living things. It became bad when it was discovered that the chemical was burning a hole into the ozone layer.

Basicall  my idea of intelligence includes understanding others as well as yourself, and having true compassion, even though some of us may lack this.
« Last Edit: 2006-11-30 13:22:49 by Bass » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: