logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-29 04:09:23 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Souls  (Read 3913 times)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Souls
« Reply #30 on: 2003-04-27 17:30:54 »

p1 A turing machine can perform any computable task*.
p2 A human being is not able to perform any non-computable task. -> s2. Human beings perform only computable tasks.

p1.p2 -> s3 A human being could be replaced by a turing machine.

Given that a human is no more than a meat based turing machine, any other implementation running program "Human" would not require anything other than an appropriately programmed turing machine to completely emulate the biological hardware usually running the "Human" emulation wetware. So the actual "recreation" of a biological stimulus/feedback mechanism would be a redundant complication. In other words, if a particular biological process has the effect of e.g. modifying processing to reflect an adrenaline rush as a result of a "pain stimulus" (merely the transmission of an chemical/electrical signal) in a biologically based "Human" system, then the silicon implementation would not need to do more than to modify its processing to achieve the same end results in response to the same "pain stimulus" without the complications of biology as the actual mechanisms involved are completely unimportant in establishing a modification of the outputs of the neural net which is all that is relevant and needful to completely emulate the "Human" system.

The question I would ask is whether it would be appropriate to limit such a program by building in the aberations, inconsistancies and limitations (performance, reliability and capacity) of the biologcal hardware. I would suggest that ethically, the answer is no. Thus it seems probable that the non-biological implementation of "Human" will greatly outstrip the capabilities of the biological versions.

As regards to how we could "capture" the wetware of a person at a particualr instant of time, it seems that a number of processes could be used. The one I suspect is closest to being realizable would rely on the "infection" of a person with a genetically engineered virus, attracted to neural tissue. The virus would carry either a processor, capable of communicating via an RF network or, more simply, could contain a tuned circuit which would allow an external process to query the condition of each nerve individually. After a moderate period of time evaluating the effects of external stimuli on the biologcal mesh, a self tuning neural system residing in silicon and designed to mimic the results of the biological neural mesh in software would produce results indistinguishable from the human object of study. At which point a "logical clone" would exist even though the exact processes involved need not be fully comprehended.

A more advanced technique, more dependent on other possible developments (such as a molecular "santa claus" machine and "nanobots" capable of molecular analysis), but offering the potential of a great deal more analytic examination, would be to dissassemble a human a molecule at a time, simultaneously recreating it in biological form (i.e. a transporter cloner) while capturing the exact state of that human in a storage system. This would allow the creation at any subsequent time of multiple clones of the test subject (as complete adult humans in biological form), with the potential to inject minor differences into these clones, allowing us to analyze exactly the effect of these changes on the human test subject. It should be noted that although this approach potentially offers the ability to learn a great deal more about what makes us tick, it is completely uneccessary if our objective is merely to "clone" ourselves in hardware, when the former approach (very close to being implementable - I'd suggest between 10 and 50 years from now) should be quite sufficient for all practical purposes.

Of course, it appears to be very much easier to produce entirely artificial self-aware, self-evolving, neural meshes which achieve better than human results, without the complication of analyzing humans, and with none of our limitations, which may well make such analysis (and humans) completely redundant before any of the above happens.

Hermit

*Turing machines can (and have) been implemented in many forms, from the quantum level to the basic mechanical - and including the biological.
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Yvonne
Neophyte

Do Not Send Me Junk E-mail!
photonpack
View Profile E-Mail
Re:Souls (Just an Excuse for me to Talk about My Lonely Love Life)
« Reply #31 on: 2003-04-28 03:55:01 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #32 on: 2003-04-28 11:35:22 »

Quote from: boygoboom on 2003-04-27 14:41:01   

That isn't possible, without making a true clone (physiology, biochemistry, etc.).

Everything that you go on to mention can theoretically be simulated as far as I know.  Maybe you know of some theoretical limitation of computer simulations that you would like to share with the rest of us?
Yvonne
Neophyte

photonpack
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #33 on: 2003-04-28 16:00:47 »

boygoboom
Neophyte

I am the Abyss.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #34 on: 2003-04-28 16:16:05 »

>-n-e-l-s-o-n-<

The chains of life are forged in definition. We've become slaves to our convictions. Freedom lies in disinvention.
Yvonne
Neophyte

photonpack
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #35 on: 2003-04-28 20:47:05 »

Shannon
Neophyte

Epitome of a mentally superior creature

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #36 on: 2003-04-28 21:54:44 »

After many years of studying human behaviour, I have come to realize that my fellow human beings, with a few exceptions, are worthless
NoodleBoy
Neophyte

The Greatest Conceivable NoodleBoy
Luciferi93
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #37 on: 2003-05-07 13:54:55 »

« Last Edit: 2003-05-07 13:57:18 by NoodleBoy » Report to moderator   Logged

The Almighty NoodleBoy
"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it."
-HL Mencken
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #38 on: 2003-05-07 15:43:02 »

Quote from: Shannon on 2003-04-28 21:54:44   

I also disagree with David Lucifer concerning the possibility of achieving human immortality through computers. That sounds very naive and I must admit I expected more from him.

Actually I said the opposite.
boygoboom
Neophyte

I am the Abyss.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #39 on: 2003-05-07 21:58:06 »

« Last Edit: 2003-05-07 22:08:40 by boygoboom » Report to moderator   Logged

>-n-e-l-s-o-n-<

The chains of life are forged in definition. We've become slaves to our convictions. Freedom lies in disinvention.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: