logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 11:05:29 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Suggestion Box

Numbers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Numbers  (Read 2016 times)
shemalewizard
Adept

Rate shemalewizard

I'm a llama!

View Profile
Numbers
« on: 2006-07-08 17:07:40 »

One problem I can see with the CoV is that it is not a very successful meme-complex in itself. It seems to have been running for quite a long time, and your membership appears to be in the low thousands.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

If you look at other religions, (see the link above), you'll notice that the virus of Christianity has 2.1 billion people under its sway. Those infected with the Islam virus number 1.3 billion or so people.

Yes, those viruses were engineered a long time ago and have been evolving for longer, but CoV has the benefit of the internet as a vector, an ideal way to spread. Yet it does not seem to be spreading.

I would imagine this is because of

1, low membership

2, a low percentage of members with a membot-type role

CoV needs to evolve.

Some ideas:

Have "spreading the CoV meme-complex" as THE central tenet of the "religion".

Add a new sin, along the lines of "not converting new members into CoV."

Add a new virtue - converting people to the Virian cause - and make this the Ultimate virtue.

Reward those who gather the most converts, with positions of influence within the Virian order.

Without a better infection strategy, this stagnant meme-complex is doomed to be a debating arena for a few hundred like-minded people...
Report to moderator   Logged
Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

Never underestimate the odds.

View Profile
Re:Numbers
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-08 21:48:56 »

Quote from: shemalewizard on 2006-07-08 17:07:40   
One problem I can see with the CoV is that it is not a very successful meme-complex in itself. It seems to have been running for quite a long time, and your membership appears to be in the low thousands.

If you look at other religions, (see the link above), you'll notice that the virus of Christianity has 2.1 billion people under its sway. Those infected with the Islam virus number 1.3 billion or so people.

Yes, those viruses were engineered a long time ago and have been evolving for longer, but CoV has the benefit of the internet as a vector, an ideal way to spread. Yet it does not seem to be spreading.

Welcome, shemalewizard.

One thing that you must understand (as far as I can weyken) is that the antecedent religions of which you speak, by comparison with the CoV are not only perennial, but also that the memes of such religions have been "evolving" throughout generations of humans almost "imperishably" without the aid of "rational thought", and have progressed and done so by the "tyranny" of dogma. These memes throughout the ages have petrified hosts and anchored themselves inextricably within the mind (and possibly, the genetics on some scale in evolutionary genisis, by way of "natural proclivity") of humanity, in a majority. Now, at last we have the worlds first considered "rational religion". But remember the Church of Virus is still very much in its infancy (eleven years old), and overcomeing these "irrational memes" may (as far as evolution is concerned) take much, much longer. The memetics of religions, such as Christianity and Islam are deeply embedded within mental and cognitive day-to-day processes (to some degree) and have become almost second nature in this respect. Overcoming a "natural instinct", as this has come to seem, is no simple task, especially in the numbers you speak of, let alone eleven years. All this said, the CoV has a long memetic battle ahead of itself for future evolution. In order for us to spread I as one would think we must first infiltrate and overcome these "irrational memes", so we can begin a new stage in humanitys evolution. We must teach, slowly, but surely.

Have "spreading the CoV meme-complex" as THE central tenet of the "religion".

Intresting Idea. See http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=67;action=display;threadid=35641;start=0;boardseen=1 for further information on your proposal.

Add a new sin, along the lines of "not converting new members into CoV."

I dont fully understand this. As far as my current experience with the CoV takes me, the CoV is non-dogmatic, (see the three senseless sins http://www.churchofvirus.org/sins.html) and choice is offered by way of memetic influence/suggestion over enforced dogma, in becomeing apart of the CoV. Would you care to elucidate your quote?

Add a new virtue - converting people to the Virian cause - and make this the Ultimate virtue.

The "ultimate goal/virtue" in my opinion would be to teach people via the three virtues already in place. Having a prime goal of "converting people" sounds to me like the agenda of most "old religions" or some "modern religions". And this, in my view is apart of the problem - to care more about converting people then to teach them.

Reward those who gather the most converts, with positions of influence within the Virian order.

Maybe rewarding those who teach via a rational consensus would be better suggested here.

Without a better infection strategy, this stagnant meme-complex is doomed to be a debating arena for a few hundred like-minded people...

I, as well as others, are currently working on a possible solution to this claim, a meme of which will hopefully (over time) splinter into a thousand memes. See the Infectious Pursuits thread for more detail.

Regards,

Fox

« Last Edit: 2006-07-09 08:39:21 by White Fox » Report to moderator   Logged

I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. - Gatsu
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: