logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-23 08:53:14 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Suggestion Box

My suggestions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: My suggestions  (Read 2577 times)
gaiaguerrilla
Initiate

Rate gaiaguerrilla

View Profile E-Mail
My suggestions
« on: 2005-12-01 23:54:47 »

I'm very new to CoV and I'm full of first impressions.

I think it's important for anyone with a fresh perspective to give fast opinion because it's hard to get in the mindset of when something is new to us. So here's some babbly suggestions.

1) Satanism, and anti-religion.

Seeing the common names of "Lucifer" and a few other names I know were intentionally Demon-like, I'm personally not bothered by them at all because I understand the purpose of CoV--

CoV is insisting on a little intimidation to those heavily religious because (I agree) it's time to stand up against them. Many are bomb-dropping, wife-beating fascists, not happy care-bear "Love everyone" pacifists. If you just procalim "let them be" you'll continue on this dismal course to self-annihilation.

But still, I get the impression that some are casually suggesting themselves to be Satanist. To me that's the opposite ridiculous extreme (still, not as harmful I would say as the "Come in peace" insurrectionists). Satanism is still religion. If anyone's satanist, so be it. Not my alarming horror, just my post for ridicule. But I guess I need to understand more about the implication of satanism throughout this site.

2) Darwin only listed as a saint.

Many many people have been influential in the face of fascism. Why not start bundling them up? So sure, you could have a ranking system with Darwin at the top if you really like him. But throw in a bunch more to give us a good history lesson.

3) Anti-fascism.

Toot your horn a little more, and appeal to those people that hate fascism. You can consider yourself the "virus" but you don't have to consider yourself the "enemy." Use some of the more common knowledge in your defense, like the agreement between so many nations about what a horrible person Hitler was, and how it was religious bias. How George Bush seems to follow the same way, and how the separation between church and state were betrayed United States constitutional rights. In summary: A lot of people that would be good potential friends to CoV are probably weirded out because they feel it too cultish and doesn't touch enough on history they're familiar with. Help them feel the good old "Take down nazi-types" routine.

4) Viral exposition.

It's too late, you got your feet in the wet cement. You call yourself "Church of Virus" so assume that the title is your summary. Start making metaphores about viruses. Show diagrams of viruses, and some of the interesting kinds and things about them. Suppose this biological metaphore: Fascism is a memetic cancer and the only cure is a virus?

5) Imagery.

Get more images on your site, rather than only links. I learned a great deal of fascinating things from your links, but remember that people are ruled by icons in the literal sense. They like clicking the mouse on an interesting little moving picture. When I make an html web page (nothing to boast, I know!) almost every "a href" goes to "img src" with extension ".gif" so that people are sucked into the interesting link.

6) Start developing more interactive things.

People are getting tired of simple forums. They want to take and make quizzes, choose from pictures related to the site, make a profile that personalizes them -with- elements from the site. Example: "What kind of virus are you?" Another example: Kill the little smileys, this site is too serious for kiddy emoticons. A few silly things are fine, but keep them within the context of the internet, so nobody feels like they're just in another rehashing of standard issue generic software.

7) Get heavy on the science.

Make some proof that people who come here get thorough education. How about make a CoV version of a lesson in Propositional Logic? How about more interesting mathematical diagrams to show you're into legitamete knowledge. How about accurate moving DNA chains (in relation to virus) to intrigue people and give a one-second biology lesson. Or a compound chemical diagram? Or a brief political tree on some critical points of past and present influence.

8) Messages and quotes

Show more clearly the basic message you're trying to give people. Wheather it's a message of your own, or a striking statement from someone in the past that you'd like to reiterate.

9) "CoV dogma" forum title vs. Dgma being one of the 3 Sins.

Obviously there's a conflict there. I'm sure there's a fairly simple solution you can already envision.
Report to moderator   Logged

I've become the official property of a 10-year-old girl.
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:My suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 2005-12-02 01:36:15 »

Wonderful introduction. I'll comment more when I have a chance.

Think of other reasons for "Lucifer". When you have written a list in reply, see also: FAQ: Why Lucifer

Hermit

PS We have another Saint. Hypatia of Alexandria. She is featured on the CoV wiki as well as having an article in the first IdeoHazard. She just has not made it to the Web yet.
« Last Edit: 2005-12-02 02:18:49 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
gaiaguerrilla
Initiate

Rate gaiaguerrilla

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2005-12-02 09:06:40 »

Thanks, Hermit. "Lucifer" - the bearer of light. I'll remember that. You point out some of the biblical contradictions. I can add one I mentioned elsewhere about the beast in Revelations called Christendom and how it plagues the entire world.

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2005-12-02 14:31:30 »

Quote from: gaiaguerrilla on 2005-12-01 23:54:47   

9) "CoV dogma" forum title vs. Dgma being one of the 3 Sins.

Obviously there's a conflict there. I'm sure there's a fairly simple solution you can already envision.

Where do you see "CoV dogma"?
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2005-12-02 16:28:26 »

2) Darwin only listed as a saint.

Many many people have been influential in the face of fascism. Why not start bundling them up? So sure, you could have a ranking system with Darwin at the top if you really like him. But throw in a bunch more to give us a good history lesson.

Rate your favourite people. The highest rated ones (who happen to be dead) will become Virian saints. Or at least that's the plan. Feedback welcome.

BTW, your comments are much appreciated!
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2005-12-02 16:32:01 »

6) Start developing more interactive things.

People are getting tired of simple forums. They want to take and make quizzes, choose from pictures related to the site, make a profile that personalizes them -with- elements from the site. Example: "What kind of virus are you?"

I agree we could benefit from more interactive elements here. A quiz is a great way to recruit like-minded individuals. Are you volunteering?
gaiaguerrilla
Initiate

Rate gaiaguerrilla

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2005-12-03 14:24:29 »

Quick recap- On point 9: I noticed that a little after, sorry. It's actually "Dogma" in the Sins, and "Doctrine" I was referring to in the forum titles. Dogma / Doctrine seem too synonymous. But there are statements here and there about not accepting CoV messages as absolute. Water under the bridge.

On 2: I guess we can put in Huxley. I'll look more into the voting system.

On 6: I suppose I am volunteering. To write one or take one?

Summary--

I'm interested in helping CoV along. If you, David or others, could give me a few short guidelines to what you currently want, preferrably in point form, it'll help me get more to business. I enjoy compiling internet info, pictures, adding comment, or trying to write out an interactive program (I would only write the details, not the programming unfortunately).

A few more ideas-

10) Micronations: I never thought they make all that much sense, but they might develop into something. A website really can have important societal attributes such as rank (both status and nature of obligations), money, penalty, multiple-choice citizenship (or rank) applications. CoV can use some of these ideas. It's partly for good fun, but if taken seriously, it can cultivate members more accurately into what the CoV is looking for.

11) A turning animation of CoV logo: I have an obsession with seeing circular symbols turn clockwise. I'll have to find medication for it.

12) I used to surf in anarchism.net (not really an anarchist myself) but they're a good example for finding counter-culture. CoV is quite definitevely counter-culture.

13) "A neo-cybernetic philosophy for the 21st Century". I think you want to (a) shorten the wording, or (b) change the words a bit so they add more about your purpose. Was that line your first choice, or was there brainstorming? If there was brainstorming, I suppose I'm beating a dead horse. What about: "A cybernetic philosophy to rational memetics"? Or "A cybernetic counter-culture to fascism" - "Cyber-spiritual infection" - "Cyber-memetic Antidox" - "A platform for cybernetic revolution" - "Cyber-bio-memetic belief system" - "plague to plagierism" Just shots in the dark.

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2005-12-03 19:04:04 »

Quote from: gaiaguerrilla on 2005-12-03 14:24:29   

Quick recap- On point 9: I noticed that a little after, sorry. It's actually "Dogma" in the Sins, and "Doctrine" I was referring to in the forum titles. Dogma / Doctrine seem too synonymous. But there are statements here and there about not accepting CoV messages as absolute. Water under the bridge.

They are similar, all dogma is doctrine but not all doctrine is dogma.

Quote:

On 2: I guess we can put in Huxley. I'll look more into the voting system.

Huxley (I assume Thomas Henry) could use some more votes, he's currently sitting at a reputation of 5.71.

Quote:

On 6: I suppose I am volunteering. To write one or take one?

Let's write the quiz first. I'll start a new thread for that.

Quote:

10) Micronations: I never thought they make all that much sense, but they might develop into something. A website really can have important societal attributes such as rank (both status and nature of obligations), money, penalty, multiple-choice citizenship (or rank) applications. CoV can use some of these ideas. It's partly for good fun, but if taken seriously, it can cultivate members more accurately into what the CoV is looking for.

I think this fits in well with the ideas I've had for this community. Do you know of any micronations in particular that you think are worth emulating?

Quote:

11) A turning animation of CoV logo: I have an obsession with seeing circular symbols turn clockwise. I'll have to find medication for it.

Check out these animations. Unfortunately I made them go counterclockwise.

Quote:

12) I used to surf in anarchism.net (not really an anarchist myself) but they're a good example for finding counter-culture. CoV is quite definitevely counter-culture.

Agreed, the way the CoV is presented it could be nothing but counter-culture. But we have discussed from time to time spinning off something new but related to have more of a mass appeal.

Quote:

13) "A neo-cybernetic philosophy for the 21st Century". I think you want to (a) shorten the wording, or (b) change the words a bit so they add more about your purpose. Was that line your first choice, or was there brainstorming? If there was brainstorming, I suppose I'm beating a dead horse. What about: "A cybernetic philosophy to rational memetics"? Or "A cybernetic counter-culture to fascism" - "Cyber-spiritual infection" - "Cyber-memetic Antidox" - "A platform for cybernetic revolution" - "Cyber-bio-memetic belief system" - "plague to plagierism" Just shots in the dark.

That was just one of many short descriptions I created when doing the original web site. There was no brainstorming and it was never adopted officially. Maybe we should vote on a new one.
gaiaguerrilla
Initiate

Rate gaiaguerrilla

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2005-12-03 22:05:15 »

11: Okay, I really like the animated symbol! Impressive! Heck, counter-clockwise is a good metaphore anyway.

I'll start writing up a multiple choice quiz now and see if you can adopt any of it when I post it on the thread you made for it. If I don't find it, maybe post a link to it here.

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: