logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-08 07:38:36 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Arts & Entertainment

Holiday cottage for sale (with nails)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Holiday cottage for sale (with nails)  (Read 786 times)
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
Holiday cottage for sale (with nails)
« on: 2009-01-21 01:35:30 »

[letheomaniac] I want. I want, I want...

Source: Reuters
Author: Micheal Holden
Dated: 20/1/2009

Cult movie farmhouse for sale

London - A remote farmhouse that appeared in the cult British movie Withnail and I is to be sold at auction next month.

Sleddale Hall, near Sharp in the Lake District area of northwest England, was used as "Uncle Monty's cottage" in the film about the drunken escapades of two out-of-work actors in the 1960s who head to the country to escape London.

The building, which has been unoccupied for many years, is only accessible by a dirt track, is 3.2km from the nearest public road and lies 1.6km from the nearest inhabited house.

It is listed for sale with a guide price of over £145 000 ($210 100). ([letheomaniac] Only 2.5 million Rand - cheap!)

Built from stone and local slate probably in the 18 century, Sleddale Hall was used for many exterior shots, but little of the inside was used for filming.

Film history

"Withnail is an iconic film and there may be a few eccentrics out there who would be interested in owning a piece of film history," said Paul Mooney from auctioneers Savills.

"Sleddale Hall will certainly garner a bit more public interest than a house of this type normally would."

Water company United Utilities, which currently owns the farmhouse, said it hoped it would be bought by someone who would restore it.

"It would make a lovely family home," said Edward Holt, a senior land agent with United Utilities.
Report to moderator   Logged

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: