logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-01 17:22:23 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Arts & Entertainment

Art
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Art  (Read 850 times)
fishsuit
Initiate

Rate fishsuit

Bananaramapajamas
fishsuit
View Profile E-Mail
Art
« on: 2005-04-17 13:20:27 »

Again, i didn't know where to post this.  A general topic might be more appropriate.  Art has evolved and changed through the ages as surely as literature or maybe even technology has.  The eventual and consistent widening of horizons and possibilities brought to a climax with Duchamp is a memetics goldmine of information for study.  This topic would have spaces for posts about which works meant something to someone and why, how imitation and styles have spread throughout populations, and art's role for humans.

I'll start this off with a few masterpieces.  First Michaelangelo's Moses is a beautiful example of sculpture.  Detailed and anatomically correct, yet inspiringly creative there is no question that it is a masterpiece.  Yet why must the subject be religious, it spoils a lot of good art for me.  More so because this piece has horns due to a mistranslation!  Even genius can be wasted or misguided. 

Vincent Vangogh went through a time when he painted a great many self portraits.  Nearly 30 in two years.  Self portraits were unheard of before a particular time in the history art, and that's a meme that would be fun to track.  The reason i focus on Vangogh's self portraits is that they happened all at one time.  I liken this to a meme taking over someone and really overtaking them.  He didn't even paint a portrait of his brother Theo during this time, indeed ever.  I'm certain this is no narcissism, but rather a self-inquiry, which painting gave voice to.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: