logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-28 22:34:01 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

Mumbai
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Mumbai  (Read 5760 times)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Mumbai
« Reply #30 on: 2008-12-05 08:13:47 »

The trouble with this theory Mo, is that the leaders of al Q'aeda have not been indicted. No evidence has been shown, no grand jury held. In fact, evidentialy we are still pretty much at the point we were at before we invaded Afghanistan when we demanded that, in the absence of both extradition treaty and evidence, they hand over Osoma bin Laden - who is apparently wanted by the FBI for other attacks but not 9/11. Does the principle of innocent until proven guilty not apply here? If so, at what level does it stop applying? Worth remembering that the government of the day, which was vastly more representative, even if scarcely less thuggish than the current puppets, was quite happy to hand him over to Germany (with whom they did have an extradition treaty) in exchange for evidence suggesting that a trial in an unbiased court might result in a conviction of a crime recognized in Afghanistan.

As we have elected to spend untold billions shuttling soldiers all over Afghanistan killing thousands of Afghans since then, and the supposed evidence still has not surfaced, perhaps they had a valid point.

Worth recalling that according to George Tenet (DCI) [pdf] the indubitably dead hijackers were:

• Egyptian: 1
  • Lebanese: 1
  • Saudi: 15
  • UAE: 2

While some have been tied to al Q'aeda, however distantly, others have not yet been and may never be. Look at the ages of the hijackers. One was 33 the rest were in their 20s. So unless they were fighting in the mujahidin in their pre- and early- teens, they were not part of the anti-Soviet actions or the referenced "database". Now I know that the Afghan girls marry early, but was it really an army of children defeated Moscow? Is one part or another of the morality fable related in Wikipedia wrong?

Finally, bin Laden definitely "won" in so far as anybody can be said to have. He helped Bush get elected in 2004 and his assertion:
    [It is] easy for us to provoke and bait this administration. All that we have to do is to send two mujahidin to the furthest point east to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al-Qaida, in order to make the generals race there and cause America to suffer human, economic, and political losses ... This is in addition to our having experience in using guerrilla warfare and the war of attrition to fight tyrannical superpowers, as we, alongside the mujahidin, bled Russia for 10 years, until it went bankrupt and was forced to withdraw in defeat.

appears to have been achieved in spades. With a little help from Our Dear Misleader and his cronies. Some bunch of thugs acted on 9/11, but was al Q'aeda really the motivating force behind it? I'd say that this remains one of the wide open questions to which we may never have a totally satisfactory answer due to Our Dear Misleader's criminal incompetence.

Yours Sceptically

Hermit

PS Always check the talk page on Wikipedia before citing it. It can be very helpful to recognizing PoV issues. This is almost certainly such a time.
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2008-12-05 13:51:42 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2008-12-05 08:13:47   
The trouble with this theory Mo, is that the leaders of al Q'aeda have not been indicted. No evidence has been shown, no grand jury held. In fact, evidentialy we are still pretty much at the point we were at before we invaded Afghanistan when we demanded that, in the absence of both extradition treaty and evidence, they hand over Osoma bin Laden - who is apparently wanted by the FBI for other attacks but not 9/11. Does the principle of innocent until proven guilty not apply here? If so, at what level does it stop applying? Worth remembering that the government of the day, which was vastly more representative, even if scarcely less thuggish than the current puppets, was quite happy to hand him over to Germany (with whom they did have an extradition treaty) in exchange for evidence suggesting that a trial in an unbiased court might result in a conviction of a crime recognized in Afghanistan.

As we have elected to spend untold billions shuttling soldiers all over Afghanistan killing thousands of Afghans since then, and the supposed evidence still has not surfaced, perhaps they had a valid point.

Worth recalling that according to George Tenet (DCI) [pdf] the indubitably dead hijackers were:

• Egyptian: 1
  • Lebanese: 1
  • Saudi: 15
  • UAE: 2

While some have been tied to al Q'aeda, however distantly, others have not yet been and may never be. Look at the ages of the hijackers. One was 33 the rest were in their 20s. So unless they were fighting in the mujahidin in their pre- and early- teens, they were not part of the anti-Soviet actions or the referenced "database". Now I know that the Afghan girls marry early, but was it really an army of children defeated Moscow? Is one part or another of the morality fable related in Wikipedia wrong?

Finally, bin Laden definitely "won" in so far as anybody can be said to have. He helped Bush get elected in 2004 and his assertion:
    [It is] easy for us to provoke and bait this administration. All that we have to do is to send two mujahidin to the furthest point east to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al-Qaida, in order to make the generals race there and cause America to suffer human, economic, and political losses ... This is in addition to our having experience in using guerrilla warfare and the war of attrition to fight tyrannical superpowers, as we, alongside the mujahidin, bled Russia for 10 years, until it went bankrupt and was forced to withdraw in defeat.

appears to have been achieved in spades. With a little help from Our Dear Misleader and his cronies. Some bunch of thugs acted on 9/11, but was al Q'aeda really the motivating force behind it? I'd say that this remains one of the wide open questions to which we may never have a totally satisfactory answer due to Our Dear Misleader's criminal incompetence.

Yours Sceptically

Hermit

PS Always check the talk page on Wikipedia before citing it. It can be very helpful to recognizing PoV issues. This is almost certainly such a time.

Hermit,

Well, I'm certainly not holding this conversation to the level of proof necessary in a criminal court. Sure, if and when the wheels of justice start turning for the victims of 9/11 wherever in the world, I think a good "stand back" talk about skepticism and burdens of proof would be in order. Given the extaordinarily international nature of the 9/11 plot, historically significant body count, and unprecedented media exposure, I doubt we will ever have the pleasure of such a real conversation. However, unless and until such oportunity becomes real, I haven't heard any remotely credible alternative theories about 9/11. Yes I've read some of the 9/11 truther material . . . so far its just insulting to my intelligence. If you really have some recommended source I should be taking seriously, then by all means please share. Otherwise I'm more or less in general agreement with wikipedia, which I was only holding it out as relatively accurate reflection of my own understanding - the things I'm already reckoning on, not necessarily a current authority in and of itself, so please feel welcome to correct it for me. I'd take your word over the wiki talk page any way if it came down to this for me.

-Mo

PS. Here's a recent video on Youtube that I more or less agree with.
More 9/11 Questions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ojiIksl_k
« Last Edit: 2008-12-05 19:28:17 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #32 on: 2008-12-06 14:48:44 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008-12-08 13:49:13 »

re the article in the earlier post, i have no doubt that a vast majority of muslims in india are moderate..still, i dont understand when deepak chopra because an expert on indian muslims.  seriously..wtf? and who is his agent because he's doing a bloody good job getting deepak chopra 'out there'.

meanwhile..

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=77857&sectionid=351020202
(and http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=5760)

india would say thanks, but NO thanks..if it had an ounce of intelligence. israel has its 'own score to settle'? really? invade a country for six of its citizens? if 'revenge' is ok..i suppose israeli citizens are ok with their govt doing the same as the palestinian sucide bombers who have legit 'scores to settle'. is it right to 'settle scores' or do govts have more rights to 'settle scores' than refugees?

meanwhile...condy rice flew all the way to new delhi and pronounced that the attackers came from pakistan. very helpful.

'Israel to help India against Pakistan'
Mon, 08 Dec 2008 17:45:20 GMT

An Israeli website suggests that Tel Aviv might help India carry out covert operations inside Pakistan in retaliation for the Mumbai attacks.

India has asked for Israeli assistance in cross-border attacks against "Islamist terrorists" inside Pakistan, reported Debka which is believed to have ties with intelligence and military sources.

Israel, seeking revenge for the murder of six Jews in a Mumbai's Chabad center in November, has expressed willingness to help India in such operations, the website claimed.

According to the report New Delhi has sought Tel Aviv's help because of Israeli spies' experience in carrying out such operation without leaving any trace.

Tension is running high between India and Pakistan over a series of terrorist attacks in the Indian economic hub of Mumbai which left hundreds of people killed or injured.

Although New Delhi has accused Pakistani intelligence agencies of masterminding the attacks, Islamabad has denied any involvement in the carnage.

Earlier on Monday, however, Pakistan arrested Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, a Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operation chief, on charges of masterminding the Mumbai terror attacks.

This is while some Indian analysts blamed Israeli intelligence agencies of masterminding the plot, basing their theory on the fact that some of the victims of the attacks were anti-Zionist Jews.

SB/MMN

p.s. and oh..what is mccain doing there?? 'privately dissuade india'? mccain? really? wtf?

from:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Potpourri/Mumbaiites_are_asking/articleshow/3809368.cms

Is US Senator and defeated Presidential candidate John McCain warning Pakistan that “India may carry out surgical strikes against individuals or groups linked to the Mumbai terror attacks” or telling India that it ought to do so on the “irrefutable evidence” it has of the Pakistani hand? And, what does he mean by saying “Washington may not be able to do much about this” but that he will “privately try to dissuade India from doing so”? Are we going to remain putty in the US’ hands forever?
« Last Edit: 2008-12-08 13:52:20 by Mermaid » Report to moderator   Logged
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #34 on: 2008-12-08 14:20:00 »

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2008-12-09 14:47:26 »

I don't sense any real right-to-left split amongst Americans on this topic. But since it happened in another country and only killed a few Americans, I'm sure there isn't such an urgency to get divisive about it. I've peeked at Salamantis's posts, and of course he's simply cut'n'pasting neo-cons, but they aren't too far off from my own specific understandings of the incident, although as usual I object to the pungent ideological odor that infests even the few truths they stumble-upon at odd moments. I'm personally not so keen to give Muslims long lectures about how to purify their ranks.

As a friend of heretics, Just as I do for Christianity, I certainly encourage pointing out issues where Islam is clearly out of touch and out of line with reality, but I just don't feel that extra push like the neo-cons Christians do to start telling them how to fix it. I don't do this to Christians I know either. Of course when honestly approached, I don't mind telling any curious Christian friend all the many and sundry ways I differ from their dogma. However, I've never seen it as my duty, or even a good idea, to tell Christians either how to be better Christians, or how to reform their insititutions. Somehow the neo-cons don't seem to see the same boundaries that I do.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #36 on: 2008-12-10 13:06:34 »

[Fritz]A little somethng,something to keep the pot stirred.

Source: Debka
Author: DEBKAfile Exclusive Report
Date: December 6, 2008,

New Delhi has asked Jerusalem to assist in the operational and intelligence planning of Indian commando cross-border strikes against Islamist terrorist havens in Pakistan - including al Qaeda, Indian counter-terror sources report.

The Indian government's decision to embark on these in-and-out incursions in reprisal for the Mumbai outrage of Nov. 26-29 was first revealed in DEBKA-Net-Weekly 375 published Dec. 4 (Indian Retaliatory Raids inside Pakistan Impending).

DEBKAfile adds: Israel is willing to help the Indians carry out punitive forays into Pakistan because it has its own scores to settle for the brutal murder of six Israelis in Mumbai's Chabad Center by the Islamist terrorists and for the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency's hand in the atrocity.

Security sources in New Delhi disclosed Saturday, Dec. 6, that ISI officers actively trained the terrorists on military lines and selected their targets, including two big hotels and the Jewish-Israeli center.

Indian sources told DEBKAfile that Israel was asked for assistance because its special undercover forces were long seasoned in plotting and executing reprisals for terrorist attacks; above all, they were expert in getting away after covert operations without leaving a trail. New Delhi wants its commando operations in Pakistan to be stealthy and focused, and does not propose to admit responsibility.

Four Pakistani locations are targeted:

1. Pakistani Kashmir where scores if not hundreds of extremist Muslim training facilities are situated - many of them ISI-run and funded;

2. Punjab in eastern Pakistan on the border of northern India. DEBKAfile's counter terror sources report that Lahore and Multan have attracted a cluster of Islamist terrorist centers.

3. Pakistan's southern coast - from Karachi north to Gwadar close to the Iranian border. Indian intelligence (RAW) has evidence that this strip was where the terrorists who besieged Mumbai ten days ago were trained for their assault.

Our New Delhi sources disclose that Indian leaders showed the outline of this plan to US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice when she visited last week. She commented guardedly that the United States was strongly opposed to a full-scale war between India and Pakistan but not averse to limited counter-terror operati

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008-12-11 14:33:15 »

its idiotic. who just made israel the expert when it comes to dealing with terror. israel is a country that is dealing with terror everyday and is inflicting terror upon the palestinians everyday. let them fix their problems first before they go about doling services to others.

meanwhile..a little known fact..majority of the mumbai blast victims who died were muslims who were at the train station to board to their north indian villages for upcoming eid. the media just focuses on the jews at chabad house(6) and the taj hotel(the train station is more of a national heritage when it comes to architecture than the taj hotel). madness.
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #38 on: 2008-12-14 16:15:56 »

« Last Edit: 2008-12-14 16:16:59 by Salamantis » Report to moderator   Logged
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #39 on: 2008-12-20 20:57:21 »

[Fritz]A lone cry form the backwaters ... or a new front .... certainly an understandable concern given the image being portrayed, but I think not as lily white as is being protested.

The Iran - China marriage seems to be coming up again and again, in spite the nuclear 'taddle tales' and 'tiffs' last spring

Source: The Pakistani Spectator
Author:  Brig. (r) Junaid Zaman
Date: 2008.12.20

After China, Iran Also Admonishes Pakistan About Terrorism

Something very very incompetent is going on the foreign front of Pakistan. Pakistan is fast becoming pariah and there is no sense of urgency in the leadership which is busy in bringing in Darbari governance in the country. India is fast weaving the net around the Pakistan and yet the rulers are unaware and oblivious of the threat.

Without giving any proofs for the involvement of Pakistani government and any elements from Pakistan, India managed to convince the members of security council to slap ban on the three charity outfits of Pakistan which were working in the Kashmir region and besides of that it succeeded in portraying a bad and scary image of Pakistan as an epicenter of terrorism and a persistent threat for the world. Diplomatic and foreign policy failure of Pakistan is clearly evident in this whole episode.

Now Iran’s deputy foreign minister Mohammad Mehdi Akhondzadeh is in New Delhi and “urging” Pakistan to “Do More” in the war against terror. “Our Pakistani friends, they should also take the lessons and they should also deal with the terrorists in a very strong manner,” Mohammad Mehdi Akhondzadeh told reporters in New Delhi.

Iran is our friend, but before falling pray to the Indian propaganda it must remember that it was the same India who supported US when US declared Iran a country a part of axis of evil.  One hopes that Iranian government would come up with some sort of explanation in this regard.

But, whether that happens or not, we must have to set our own house in order.  We need to fire all the foreign officials and lobbysits in UN, US and at other niche places and employ a team of people who are passionate, rigorous, aggressive, professional, visionary and loyal to their job and who eat, sleep, walk and live through doing their job properly. Otherwise, the whole world will turn against us for nothing, as it turned against Iraq upon the issue of weapons of mass destruction, where there was nothing in there, but as Iraq failed to convince the world about it and remained oblivious and belligerent, it has paid the price and still paying.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-20 21:03:26 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #40 on: 2009-03-17 20:56:54 »

Found this interesting and have to wonder if this goes beyond financial interests of the US and UK and are there plans fermenting ?

Cheers

Fritz

U.S. OKs record $2.1 billion arms sale to India

Source: Reuters
Author: Jim Wolf
Date: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:34pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama's administration has cleared a $2.1 billion sale to India of eight Boeing Co P-8I maritime patrol aircraft, the largest U.S. arms transfer to India to date.

The State Department said in a March 12 notice to the U.S. Congress that it would license the direct commercial sale having factored in "political, military, economic, human rights and arms control considerations."

The Indian navy was the first international customer for the P-8, a long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft.

Boeing says it can operate effectively over land or water while performing anti-submarine warfare; search and rescue; maritime interdiction; and long-range intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance.

India chose it over several rivals, including EADS Airbus A319, according to Flightglobal.com, an online aviation-trade publication.

Boeing has said it would deliver the first P-8I within 48 months of a contract signing, and the remaining seven by 2015. Derived from Boeing's commercial 737 airframe, its is similar to the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy.

In January 2008, Washington and New Delhi sealed India's previous largest U.S. arms purchase -- six Lockheed Martin Corp C-130J Super Hercules military transport planes valued at about $1 billion, including related gear, training and spares.

Boeing's P-8I contract is with the Indian Ministry of Defense. The sale includes associated support equipment, spares, training and logistical support through June 2019, the State Department said in its notice.

It said direct arms-trade "offsets" were expected to include engineering service, manufacturing and integrated logistics-support projects totaling $641.3 million.

Lockheed and Boeing, respectively the Pentagon's No. 1 and No. 2 suppliers by sales, are among warplane makers vying to sell India 126 new multi-role fighters in a deal that could be worth more than $10 billion.

Boeing is offering its F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet. Lockheed is pitching its F-16. They are competing with warplanes built in Russia, France, Sweden and by a European consortium.

One stumbling block for Boeing and Lockheed has been Indian qualms about standard "end-user" pacts designed to prevent leakage of sensitive U.S. technology to third countries. Such agreements are a routine part of U.S. government-to-government arms sale.

A similar form, known as DSP-83, had to be signed by Indian authorities for Boeing to have submitted its license request for the P-8I deal.

(Reporting by Jim Wolf; editing by Bernard Orr)
« Last Edit: 2009-03-17 20:58:34 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: