logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-29 15:42:04 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

Right wing wackos yearn for another terrorist attack
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Right wing wackos yearn for another terrorist attack  (Read 458 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Right wing wackos yearn for another terrorist attack
« on: 2007-08-12 12:44:16 »

On Thursday (8/9/07) Philadelphia columnist Stu Bykofsky suggested that another 9/11 type attack on America would be good for us.

"Is there any doubt they are planning to hit us again? If it is to be, then let it be. It will take another attack on the homeland to quell the chattering of chipmunks and to restore America's righteous rage and singular purpose to prevail."

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/stu_bykofsky/20070809_Stu_Bykofsky___To_save_America__we_need_another_9_11.html

Two days later, Steve Benen of Talking Points Memo does an assessment of right wing media response to this column, which has been very supportive and embracing of such a "cure."

"Everything about this column seems misguided -- the diagnosis of what ails America, the description of the symptoms, the proposed cure. The surprising part of this, however, is that a variety of far-right media outlets seemed to embrace Bykofsky's message."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/016480.php

Faux News' John Gibson resoundingly endorses the idea, "I think it's going to take a lot of dead people to wake America up." Drudge and Mike Gallagher also like the cure.

Think Progress made this poignant assessment of the sick state of right wing media, "The Bush administration used the events of 9/11 to launch an unnecessary war, curtail the rights of Americans, torture, illegally spy, and violate the Constitution. The right-wing can't wait for another 9/11 so they can take it to the next level."

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/08/11/bykofsky-right-wing/
Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Right wing wackos yearn for another terrorist attack
« Reply #1 on: 2007-08-12 16:36:20 »

Dear Mo,

To this observer, the United States has been heading hard right for so long (possibly since the late 1800s and definitely since the 1930s) that the center currently looks to me to be a long way to the right of Attila the Hun. That said, these old labels don't work anymore.

I also suspect that the sheer volume of enemies, coupled with the massive increase in the availability of terrorist techniques, technologies and knowledge caused by this administration's insanity as well as the greatly reduced competence and ability in policing and response all but guarantee successful additional attacks on the people of the US. The total lack of effective emergency response infrastructure and trained responders guarantees that any disaster will be worsened by the lack of, or worse, inappropriate responses (as we saw after Katrina) and the headlong rush to martial law, by those whose failures these are and to whose benefit that will be, will be exacerbated.

And when this happens, will one Democrat have the gumption to stand up and say "Stop! We already look like some pseudo democracy like Egypt, Pakistan or Israel. This isn't an appropriate response. This will make things worse and make the worse permanent."? I suggest that the answer is no. The leadership apparently is aware that their public is, at the best of times, incapable of reason, incapable of logic, incapable of anything, except baying for blood when threatened. Never mind that the blood will likely be real and their own.  This is probably true even if the threat is highly incredible (e.g. Saddam Hussein as a Portrait of a Bogeyman with Nukes), or even if they merely perceive themselves as threatened despite all evidence and against all probability (after all, Americans are hundreds of thousands of times more likely to die in automobile accidents - or even in gun shot accidents - and thousands of times more likely to die of bee-stings, than they are to die as a consequence of terrorist attacks). So the democrats, like the canny operators that they have to be in order to play in this farcical pretence of democracy, are inclined to keep their hands out of the way of the mob. After all, at this level, the interests of Republican and Democratic leadership, as opposed to those of the working class (which most Americans will sadly deny having) they purport to represent, coincide to a remarkable degree. Indeed, as the current sorry congress is demonstrating, they are largely indistinguishable and indeterminable, no matter why they were elected.

The only real hope for change that I see is a dramatic win by a third party President; one sufficiently infused with charisma, skill and wealth and sufficiently imbued with the Virian Virtues, to bring about change in spite of Washington and not through them. An alternative might be the founding of a new party intent on restructuring the failed democracy, but the current system has entrenched itself so well that the possibility of that happening would imply horror on a scale I don't6 want to contemplate.  That change is, in my opinion, very much less likely than the practically guaranteed ongoing collapse of this once hopeful experiment, and dehumanization of its population, was totally unnecessary and terribly sad.

Kindest Regards

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Right wing wackos yearn for another terrorist attack
« Reply #2 on: 2007-08-13 20:22:59 »

Now it seems that five days later Stu Bykofsky sees the error of his ways

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/stu_bykofsky/20070813_Stu_Bykofsky___I_WAS_WRONG_ABOUT_ANOTHER_9_11.html

Somehow I doubt the right wing media wackos who gave him ringing endorsements will be offering up their own mea culpas. No matter, it really brought out their true colors. I ran across an especially good article about this mess I wanted to share:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/august2007/100807_dead_americans.htm

I really encourage you to read it. Its very poignant and thoughtful. In "Pitching For More Dead Americans: A Neo-Con Fetish" Paul Joseph Watson of Prison Planet points out a litany of similar recent sentiments in the following excerpt:

Quote:
Lt.-Col. Doug Delaney, chair of the war studies program at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, recently told the Toronto Star that "The key to bolstering Western resolve is another terrorist attack like 9/11 or the London transit bombings of two years ago."

The same sentiment was also explicitly expressed in a 2005 GOP memo, which yearned for new attacks that would "validate" the President's war on terror and "restore his image as a leader of the American people."

Last month, former Republican Senator Rick Santorum suggested that a series of "unfortunate events," namely terrorist attacks, will occur within the next year and change American citizen's perception of the war.

And the month before that, the new chairman of the Arkansas Republican Party Dennis Milligan said that there needed to be more attacks on American soil for President Bush to regain popular approval.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: