logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-01 20:50:41 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

The Core of Every Black Person
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The Core of Every Black Person  (Read 537 times)
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
The Core of Every Black Person
« on: 2007-04-12 02:13:04 »

Morning radio shock-jock Don Imus was getting a little counseling from a well respected, Protestant, African-American preacher over a racist/sexist remark Imus made on his show last Wednesday. The comment was offensive and repeating it doesn't serve any purpose here.

Anyway, this African-American preacher told Imus that "at the core of every black person, and you have to understand this, they believe that white people don’t like them."

"And they believe that, no matter how good a white person is, that at some point, it comes out, like it came out with you.  And that just confirms what they think.  And if you will say this, what will THEY (right-wingers) say?"

I'm having trouble buying this. Is it even remotely accurate to say that about black people as a whole?

I guess I'm ALWAYS suspicious when I see the words "every" or "always" or "never" when someone is referring to what human beings think or feel. 

Walter

PS--The uproar in the media over this particular incident is really quite phenomenal. Just Google "Don Imus" if you don't believe me.

It is a particularly virulent memetic outbreak.

Any opinions on this?
Report to moderator   Logged

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:The Core of Every Black Person
« Reply #1 on: 2007-04-12 15:32:07 »

If I were to choose my demagogues, I prefer the Rev. Sharpton over Rev. Jackson because he is usually funnier and seemingly better educated.  But he is still a demagogue . . .

Yes Sharpton is probably correct (in a general non-absolute sense), but that doesn't mean he is right . . . just remember the verdict in OJ's criminal trial.  It certainly reflected some obvious racial dynamics in the LA culture, but would you really characterize it as the right verdict?  Imus didn't even use the "N" word unless you think "nappy-headed-hoes" is one word.  I mean for crying-out-loud, as a shock jock we expect him to push the envelope.  So perhaps he crossed the line, but he apologized.  I thought a couple of weeks off might have been reasonable, but cancelling the TV outlet of his show is like giving a cultural death-penalty for tossing a few careless pebbles.

I think Imus' biggest mistake was subjecting himself to public counseling by a demagogue.  That's like asking an excecutioner to solve your life problems IMO.  I might find Sharpton entertaining in many respects, but if I had any significant career reputation -however notorious- I wouldn't seek him out for this kind of cultural healing even if I was just "funning for the camera".
« Last Edit: 2007-04-12 15:56:31 by Mo » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007-04-12 16:08:48 »

In connection with this current memetic media-explosion, today I was thinking about any possible circumstance a white American could actually use (as opposed to simply refer to) the "N" word without offending a significant portion of the black American population.  It was difficult, but my best candidate was, "I'm yo niggah" . . . and that too was problematic, but I've heard say that if you don't say or spell it as "nigger" it makes it nicer, and then if I'm referring to myself instead of someone else it makes it possibly less offensive . . . From an unknown white man (like myself) to a high status black man (like NFL hall-of-famer Michael Irvin) it would likely get translated as something like "I'm your wingman".  I'm not sure it really passes, but it was the most promising candidate of my creative/imaginative endeavor.  Talk about a cultural minefield!

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007-04-17 19:13:46 »

Don't forget what happened when somebody used an N-word in Washington. "Niggardly" IIRC.

Google for it. It's tragicomic in the extreme.

Kind Regards

Hermit

(Who worries about not having seen a certain favorite imp around in SL since what seems like nearly forever)

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: