logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-15 14:39:50 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

Sisyphus Shrugged - "our beautiful minds" (Money on the Table Mix)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Sisyphus Shrugged - "our beautiful minds" (Money on the Table Mix)  (Read 565 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Sisyphus Shrugged - "our beautiful minds" (Money on the Table Mix)
« on: 2007-01-18 02:49:16 »

[Blunderov] No, it's not easy to "put more money on the table" as the presidents so charmingly phrases it. It used to be that people were quite content just to see some food on the table but perhaps the presidential mind had wandered to the glory days of Abramoff who by all accounts was very good at putting money on the table.

http://jmhm.livejournal.com/1692026.html
our beautiful minds

noted without comment*

Last night on the PBS Newshour, Jim Lehrer asked President Bush why he hasn’t called on Americans — besides those serving in the volunteer military — to sacrifice something to help our country in this time of struggle. Bush claimed Americans are sacrificing: “They sacrifice peace of mind when they see the terrible image of violence on TV every night.” Bush explained that “the psychology of the country…is somewhat down because of this war.” Watch it:
We shouldn't raise taxes on the five percent who control half our country's wealth because they are matching the sacrifice of the troops who are dying for a salary that puts their kids on food stamps. They're watching tv.

Oops. That was a comment, wasn't it. 

*http://thinkprogress.org/2007/01/17/bush-sacrifice/

LEHRER: Let me ask you a bottom-line question, Mr. President. If it is as important as you’ve just said - and you’ve said it many times - as all of this is, particularly the struggle in Iraq, if it’s that important to all of us and to the future of our country, if not the world, why have you not, as president of the United States, asked more Americans and more American interests to sacrifice something? The people who are now sacrificing are, you know, the volunteer military - the Army and the U.S. Marines and their families. They’re the only people who are actually sacrificing anything at this point.

BUSH: Well, you know, I think a lot of people are in this fight. I mean, they sacrifice peace of mind when they see the terrible images of violence on TV every night. I mean, we’ve got a fantastic economy here in the United States, but yet, when you think about the psychology of the country, it is somewhat down because of this war.

Now, here in Washington when I say, “What do you mean by that?,” they say, “Well, why don’t you raise their taxes; that’ll cause there to be a sacrifice.” I strongly oppose that. If that’s the kind of sacrifice people are talking about, I’m not for it because raising taxes will hurt this growing economy. And one thing we want during this war on terror is for people to feel like their life’s moving on, that they’re able to make a living and send their kids to college and put more money on the table. And you know, I am interested and open-minded to the suggestion, but this is going to be -

LEHRER: Well -

BUSH: — this is like saying why don’t you make sacrifices in the Cold War? I mean, Iraq is only a part of a larger ideological struggle. But it’s a totally different kind of war, than ones we’re used to.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: