logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-15 16:00:48 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Serious Business

Iraq
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Iraq  (Read 928 times)
Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
Iraq
« on: 2007-01-10 20:13:11 »

Since the old threads have all gone I thought that it would be good to re-start this topic afresh.

So what do people think of George W Bush' decision of sending 20.000 extra soldiers to Iraq? Do you agree with this or do you believe that it is time for a slow withdrawal? What is your opinion on the current situation and what do you believe should be done about it. If you have articles then please provide them.

I think the people of Iraq should decide. Or hey, better yet, the newly appointed Government we set up in Iraq. How come they don't get to decide what's going on. Unless someone has heard different, I've heard that the U.S. will maintain a small precense in Iraq through 2016, whilst having most if not all troops home by 2010.

That to me is rediculous to pre-maturely put a date on such a thing. I was for the war when it began back in 2001 in Afghanistan, however I was for the war for the wrong reasons. Like most Americans, it was in rage of Sept. 11 and revenge was on the mind of everyone.

Now? I realise that terrorism has been an act as old as the world itself, and there's no pure-cut method of disposing of it. At least not by invading any country we deem to be dangerous.

The US Government is spending almost $10 Billion a month on this war, with estimates to total up to or over $2 Trillion. That amount of money is fathomable for me to begin with, but when I think about places that money could have really been used I just get sick.

Over 3,000 US troops killed, 53,000 civilians, and god knows how many other deaths unaccounted for? $2 trillion? I'm not sure this is worth it... especially since the end result will not end terrorism. If anything it just increases the hostile attitute the rest of the world holds against America, which sadly enough is against the people as well as the Government.

What upsets me the most is when people speak of us being over there just to pillage and steal oil. That's a leftist comment which usually comes from those who are uneducated about the war in the first place, and want to just conjure up rediuclous ideas.

I have many friends in the military in Iraq, and I support their effort to serve our country, and I always will. I'm just not sure this was worth it all.

Iraq has landed in an inevitable civil war that was staved off by Saddam. What they need right now is policing; be that in the form of soldiers or Iraqis. It's not surprising that the Iraqi police force is tiny, and the men who do serve in it are corrupt; the state their country is in, they can hardly be blamed.

The place needs security. We started this; we can't just leave now. Iraq would be consumed by the war between the Sunnis and the Shias. Its own government won't do anything; their President declared last week that he hates his job and would leave it tomorrow if he could.

The place is a mess. I'm not saying we can sort it; having waged an illegal war and reduced Iraq to what it is now, it's sort of an obligation. Bush's new troops probably won't fix it, but they can't cause any more harm.

I never supported the war, and I lament all of the young American, European and Iraqi lives lost through it. Tony Blair and George W. Bush should be facing tribunal at the Hague, but they aren't. I don't hate them. But I think it's time we find someone who can balance out our relationships with the rest of the world. Bush has balls, I'll give him that and he isn't afraid to tell the rest of the world including the UN to go fuck themselves. But that doesn't help the US. We started it, and it's up to us to end it. We can't really do any more harm, can we?

I also not sold on the whole US oil conspiracy thing either... does anyone have any evidence to suggest either way?

Has Bush failed to give a valid American motive for Operation Iraqi Freedom? I believe so, and but I do not believe it was oil-driven whatsoever. As mediocre of a President as he has become, the American government is not interested in losing american soldiers, and trillions of dollars, over billions of dollars in oil. It wouldn't make sense. After production costs, plus the production time frame, and assuming we would be sharing it with the government since it would prove otherwise difficult to get out 250 billion barrels of reserve oil in Iraq without someone knowing, you'd be looking at a total profit range of about $50 Billion (assuming an avergae $1.50 cost of product per barrel which is high, and a starting value of about $3.1 Trillion.

« Last Edit: 2007-01-10 20:14:40 by Bass » Report to moderator   Logged
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
Re:Iraq
« Reply #1 on: 2007-01-10 21:42:56 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2007-01-12 13:44:27 »

Quote from: Bass on 2007-01-10 20:13:11   

<snip>
So what do people think of George W Bush' decision of sending 20.000 extra soldiers to Iraq? Do you agree with this or do you believe that it is time for a slow withdrawal? What is your opinion on the current situation and what do you believe should be done about it. If you have articles then please provide them.</snip>

[Blunderov] First let me say that one of the major reasons, if not the only one, for the Iraq war is oil. Everything in the Middle East that isn't about religion is about oil.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/FreakonomicsBlog?format=xml
What Does Barack Obama Know About Behavioral Economics?
12 January 2007, 05:29:40 PM | Stephen J. Dubner
Maybe a good bit. Here’s what Obama said yesterday during the Senate Foreign Relations Committee’s hearing with Condoleezza Rice about sending more U.S. soldiers to Iraq:

“And essentially the administration repeatedly has said: ‘We’re doubling down; we’re going to keep on going … because now we’ve got a lot in the pot and we can’t afford to lose what we put in the pot.”

That, friends, is what’s known as the sunk-cost fallacy. Here’s Wikipedia on the subject and here’s a definition from the Skeptic’s Dictionary:

When one makes a hopeless investment, one sometimes reasons: “I can’t stop now, otherwise what I’ve invested so far will be lost.” This is true, of course, but irrelevant to whether one should continue to invest in the project.

While it remains to be seen if Obama has the qualifications to run for national office, it does appear he’d at least be a pretty good gambler if he put his mind to it

http://sunk-cost.behaviouralfinance.net/
Sunk Cost
The sunk cost fallacy is manifested when we have a greater tendency to continue an endeavour once an investment in money, effort or time has been made.

Top 10 Papers
ARKES, Hal R. and Catherine BLUMER, 1985. The psychology of sunk cost. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Volume 35, Issue 1, February 1985, Pages 124-140. [Cited by 290] (13.57/year)
Abstract: "The sunk cost effect is manifested in a greater tendency to continue an endeavor once an investment in money, effort, or time has been made. Evidence that the psychological justification for this behavior is predicated on the desire not to appear wasteful is presented. In a field study, customers who had initially paid more for a season subscription to a theater series attended more plays during the next 6 months, presumably because of their higher sunk cost in the season tickets. Several questionnaire studies corroborated and extended this finding. It is found that those who had incurred a sunk cost inflated their estimate of how likely a project was to succeed compared to the estimates of the same project by those who had not incurred a sunk cost. The basic sunk cost finding that people will throw good money after bad appears to be well described by prospect theory (D. Kahneman & A. Tversky, 1979, Econometrica, 47, 263–291). Only moderate support for the contention that personal involvement increases the sunk cost effect is presented. The sunk cost effect was not lessened by having taken prior courses in economics. Finally, the sunk cost effect cannot be fully subsumed under any of several social psychological theories."
ARKES, H.R. and P. AYTON, 1999. The Sunk Cost and Concorde Effects: Are Humans Less Rational Than Lower Animals?. Psychological Bulletin. [Cited by 55] (7.46/year)
KANODIA, C., R. BUSHMAN and J. DICKHAUT, 1989. Escalation Errors and the Sunk Cost Effect: An Explanation Based on Reputation and Information …. Journal of Accounting Research. [Cited by 31] (1.78/year)
ZEELENBERG, M. and E. VAN, 1997. A reverse sunk cost effect in risky decision making: Sometimes we have too much invested to gamble. Journal of Economic Psychology. [Cited by 15] (1.60/year)
TAN, H.T. and J.F. YATES, 1995. Sunk Cost Effects: The Influences of Instruction and Future Return Estimates. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. [Cited by 14] (1.23/year)
CHAVAS, J.P., 1994. Production and Investment Decisions under Sunk Cost and Temporal Uncertainty. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. [Cited by 21] (1.70/year)
KAMIEN, M.I. and I. ZANG, 1990. The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition. The Quarterly Journal of Economics. [Cited by 121] (7.39/year)
MOON, H., 2001. Looking forward and looking back: integrating completion and sunk-cost effects within an escalation- …. J Appl Psychol. [Cited by 13] (2.42/year)
LAUGHHUNN, D. and J.W. PAYNE, 1984. The impact of sunk cost on risky choice behaviour. INFOR (Canadian Journal of Operations Research and …. [Cited by 11] (0.49/year)
ARKES, H. and L. HUTZEL, 2000. The Role of Probability of Success Estimates in the Sunk Cost E? ect. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making. [Cited by 10] (1.57/year)
Links
Wikipedia: Sunk cost
InvestorWords.com: sunk cost Definition
The Skeptic's Dictionary: sunk-cost fallacy
Bibliography

Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2007-01-14 04:59:49 »

[Blunderov] I mentioned some time back that I could see no reason why Gen. Powell's original estimate of 450,000 to 500,000 troops as the number required to pacify Iraq should not still be taken seriously. The appended piece seems to support this contention.

Under the circumstances the further difficulty of troop morale arises. They are not fools. They will know that they are being sold down the river to allow their fearless boy-general to sidle surreptitiously out the political back door. I suspect that many will be disinclined to lay down their lives in this cause. I suggest that a general mutiny is entirely justifiable given the presidents blatant disregard for the wishes of the republic he is sworn to serve. Alternatively, it is said that Canada is rather nice at this time of decade.

http://www.afp.com/english/news/stories/070113095045.xkjhmxy3.html

New US tactics face ultimate test in Baghdad
13/01/2007 09h55

Months after its last plan failed dismally to pacify Baghdad, the United States is pouring another 17,500 troops into the Iraqi capital to put new counter-insurgency tactics to the ultimate test.

Nicknamed "King David" by some within the US military, Lieutenant General David Petraeus, who led the 101st Airborne Division during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, will this year assume overall command of coalition troops in Iraq.

It will be a chance for him to put into practice a new US counter-insurgency manual, which the "warrior-scholar" co-wrote and published last month.

Drawing heavily on the lessons of nearly four deadly years in Iraq, the United States' biggest and deadliest war since Vietnam, the new doctrine challenges accepted practice and tactics long honed by the US military.

"Ultimate success in COIN (counter-insurgency) is gained by protecting the populace, not the COIN force," says the manual.

"If military forces remain in their compounds, they lose touch with the people, appear to be running scared and cede the initiative to the insurgents."

Most American soldiers in Iraq are holed up in fortress garrisons from which they venture only in heavy armoured convoys that send civilian traffic scurrying to avoid getting hurt by US guns or anti-American attacks.

Petraeus criticised the use of indiscriminate force, warning that heavier fire is more prone to "collateral damage" and mistakes, and widens the scope for insurgent propaganda to portray the US military as brutal.

"The key for counter-insurgents is knowing when more force is needed and when it might be counter-productive," the manual says.

So scarred was the US military by defeat in Vietnam that it then steered clear of counter-insurgency operations, offering today's troops little practical experience or training before confronting the maelstrom of Iraq.

Massive assaults such as the November 2004 bombardment of the rebellious Sunni town of Fallujah and massive assaults to retake a town fallen into enemy hands, as in Hue, Vietnam in 1968, are likely to be avoided.

But it is not clear whether Petraeus will have the tools necessary to enforce his own recommendations despite an extra 21,500 troops ordered to Iraq by US President George W. Bush on top of the 132,000 already in country.

Around 17,500 are being sent to Baghdad, hiking to more than 35,000 the number of US troops in the Iraqi capital, although the exact date of their deployment is being kept under wraps.

The manual says "20 counter-insurgents per 1,000 residents is often considered the minimum troop density required for effective COIN operations".

With the population of Baghdad at six million, then the capital would need 120,000 pairs of coalition boots on the streets.

©AFP TVAdded to around 30,000 Iraqi police officers and the promised arrival of 20,000 mainly Shiite and Kurdish soldiers, the total "multinational force" would be 85,000 -- two thirds of the requisite numbers based on the manual.

The Americans have stressed that the new strategy relies on Iraqis to take responsibility, yet observers believe homegrown troops are too weak to fight alone and that the police are widely infiltrated by militiamen.

The last US security plan for Baghdad, Operation Together Forward, was launched in June, with more US military police embedded in Iraqi units and more US troops redeployed to Baghdad.

But the US military admitted in October that it had failed.

"Our past efforts to secure Baghdad failed for two principal reasons: There were not enough Iraqi and American troops to secure neighborhoods that had been cleared of terrorists and insurgents. And there were too many restrictions on the troops we did have," Bush said last week.

American soldiers can clear a multi-storey house in minutes but they lack the manpower to stay behind afterwards to "hold" the property, making the reconstruction phase practically impossible.

"Too little, too late," was the verdict from the former commander of NATO forces in Kosovo, General Wesley Clark, about the planned US troop build-up.

"In Kosovo, we had 40,000 troops for a population of two million. For Iraq, that ratio would call for at least 500,000 troops, so adding 20,000 now is too little, too late," he wrote in Britain's Independent on Sunday newspaper.

Next: Rice starts Mideast tour 'without a peace plan'
Back to Contents
Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-01-14 10:41:11 »

So you think that sending more troops over is a bad idea Blunderov?

Or that it may have been a good idea, but now it is to little to late?
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2007-01-14 16:48:29 »

Quote from: Bass on 2007-01-14 10:41:11   

So you think that sending more troops over is a bad idea Blunderov?

Or that it may have been a good idea, but now it is to little to late?

[Blunderov] If force is ever necessary I weyken that it should be overwhelming. War is not a business of maximising returns and minimising costs and to treat it as such is a hugely erroneous analogy. War is, in the words of Carl von Clausewitz, "no pastime; no mere passion for venturing and winning; no work of free enthusiasm; it is a serious means - for a serious subject".

I might add "for serious minds", a dearth of which is all too appallingly obvious in the current administration.

If this administration had heeded Gen Powell's original recommendation for 450,000 to 500,000 troops for the original campaign I have little doubt that the situation would be very different. It is far too late for this now. The resistance is now very well organised and the whole region is poised to be drawn in to the conflict.

Lieutenant General David Petraeus appears to have applied his mind to the problem of 4th Gen Warfare to good effect. Sadly these hard won insights do not seem to me likely to be very relevant in the sectarian inferno of Iraq and especially not with only this derisory number of reinforcements.

In a way the situation is quite funny if one enjoys, dare I say it, gallows humour. America, in the sacred name of democracy, has to support the very faction that it would least like to see gain the upper hand, the Shi'ites, who are an open proxy of the hated Iran. Efforts to get the Iraqi "government" to be even-handed in its actions against the militias is pure wishful thinking. The big winner is, or will be, Iran. Which makes the USA a very big loser indeed - unless Bush can precipitate a war with Iran as well which he seems hell bent on attempting to do.

Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-01-14 20:13:47 »

Thank-you blunderov, very interesting.

I cant help but wonder though, what do you think would happen to the country if they did leave? What do you think the current radical-Islamic presence in Iraq would do to/with the country if we left?

If we left, how much better off would the country be?

Taking into account that the Government would not be in control of Iraq if we left and that the terrorists are more organized in that country than the newly appointed government is.

Regards,

Bass
MoEnzyme
Anarch

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007-01-17 13:32:42 »

How about a Kurdish solution?

Of course the idea has to come from our commander in chief such as he is so I won't hold my breath.  But I've had this discussion with several conservative republicans (there are plenty still in Texas) and I've been surprised to either hear them suggest it first, or to chime in quickly with a hearty agreement.  Apparently the Kurds get along with us fine compared to the Sunnis and Shias, and so perhaps I can see the wisdom of not abandoning this group.  Indeed I think it can make a sensible alternative to a flat out retreat.  It would take fewer troops if we only committed to securing the Kurdish region and Bagdad, letting the warlords sort out the rest of the nation.  It may not lead to a democratic Iraq, but if we insist on it we could sustain a democratic autonomous Kurdish-safe region within the framework of whatever solution emerges.  I think its a reasonable face-saving way to scale down yet remain involved in the region.
« Last Edit: 2007-01-18 11:49:52 by Mo » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: