logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-29 00:42:57 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2006

Name the squid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Name the squid  (Read 2924 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Re:Name the squid
« Reply #15 on: 2006-04-22 06:35:48 »

Names are important. You have to be careful when you pick a name. You dont want your child to be heckled in the school yard. Take Suri Holmes-Cruise, for example. Suri means Princess in Hebrew and Red Rose in Persian. Well, turns out that it really means 'Syrian Guy' in Hebrew(and in Arabic). It can also mean 'go away' in Hebrew. What an oopsie! 'Suri Suri' is not a chant that this kid wants to hear...

relatedly, it is also reported that Cruise plans to eat the placenta. What are your plans? Do you want recipes? Are you planning to freeze it? Please show us the pictures.

there is no need to be grossed out. to be fair, 'placenta' is latin for (flat)cake. brings a whole new ah-ha moment when you ponder upon the tradition of 'cutting the birthday cake', doesnt it?
« Last Edit: 2006-04-22 06:37:00 by Mermaid » Report to moderator   Logged
Ophis
Initiate

Rate Ophis

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #16 on: 2006-04-23 12:42:15 »

I'd like to suggest that The Spawn should be given multiple names.  Something like Loki Hypatia Laura Lewis Lucifer.  Not all names need to be used on a day-to-day basis, but this provides the maturing offspring with the ability to chose a combination amongst the legal names without too much hassle. 

The main benefit is to improve the privacy options available to the grown-up spawn.  For example, the driver's license could be issued to the name Loki Lucifer, while the ISP or other services could be registered with a different combination, like Hypatia Lewis-Lucifer.  Having a relatively more common name, like Laura, in the mix, while going against Se7en's wishes, can also provide some advantages from a privacy perspective (a Google search for Laura Lewis returns multiple individuals).

Other fringe benefits include: the growing squid can elect to use the favorite amongst multiple names; also, a whole new dimension of fun and complexity opens itself to the parents by allowing them to come up with interesting or meaningful acronyms (bonus points for meaningful) with the multiple names.  For example, the names suggested above would produce LHL3, which can make for a nice userid for an online persona -- although I would bet it is no longer available on yahoo.com.
Report to moderator   Logged
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-04-24 04:42:15 »

Quote from: Ophis on 2006-04-23 12:42:15   

I'd like to suggest that The Spawn should be given multiple names.  Something like Loki Hypatia Laura Lewis Lucifer.  Not all names need to be used on a day-to-day basis, but this provides the maturing offspring with the ability to chose a combination amongst the legal names without too much hassle. 

Yes...and our own Mo here can guide the child through the process..
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-04-25 07:08:59 »

More suggestions

Gwendolyn Lewis-McF
(i am a wilde fan)

or you may name the sprogget in my honour and Z's in czech
Rusalka(Mermaid in Czech)

or just name her Jane Doe Lewis-McF. just kidding.(or am i?)

More baby name stories: I knew this Scot who named his firstborn Gloria Augusta because she was born on August 12th, 'Glorious 12th', the (official) first day of grouse hunting season. now..THAT is a dedicated scotsman! and hunter too, i suppose.

p.s. if it's a boy, just call him Junior and be done with it. boys dont respond to names anyways.

se7en
Heretic

Rate se7en

yarrrrr!

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #19 on: 2006-06-10 21:05:13 »

[[ author reputation (2.42) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #20 on: 2006-06-11 13:00:44 »

Quote from: se7en on 2006-06-10 21:05:13   

Update:  Baby boy names only please 

Top 3 contenders...

Squidbert
Rockstar
Cthulhu
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2006-06-11 23:03:55 »

Congrats again.

I've written bits of a letter on this topic more than a few times, and not having time to finish them, haven't pressed send. Which means they are probably lost forever. While this note too is also more of a skeleton than a letter,  I decided to post it despite its lack of cohesiveness due to my not having had time to polish it, in the certain knowledge that it will do more good published than drifting somewhere in cyberspace.

Regards

Hermit

Think of using a whole string of names - that allow him to pick and choose. Great names provide an "inspirational interest" - what was my namesake like. Picking a name for multiple reasons, with multiple purposes and possibly after multiple people makes it more interesting.

You might consider invented names, with or without symbolic meaning. For example, Ayr after Ayrshire, the home of the bard, or Eyia a pure invention; both of these being intuitively pronounceable - but they could also be pronounced as "John" if you established alternative rules which would have to be known to pronounce it. A bit like:

There was a young curate of Salisbury [pronounced Sarum]
Whose manners were quite Halisbury-Scalisbury [pronounced harem-scarem]
He wandered round Hampshire [pronounced Hants]
Without any pampshire [pronounced Pants]
Till the Vicar compelled him to Warisbury [pronounced Warum]

This would have the multiple latent virtues of being trademarkable and possibly googlishly distinct - and give him a tale to tell when engaged in seduction - which he probably will.

Another possibility worth sniffing at might be the virtue of using a symbol as a name. Perhaps a variation of Lucifer's marvelous little ideohazard transform. Possibly something else both original and easy to draw. The symbol might be pronounced however you determined, and for additional chaos-worthiness could even be trademarked, to throw confusion into the unwary and sundry government clerks. Of course, some of these ideas might infuriate a society that imagines that people can be pidgeon-holed as names in computers unable to represent and index such things.

"Volk Uwe" could be misinterpreted in a modern environment, but both words have been used as names. The effect of the conjunction is, should we say, interesting. "QQQQ" might also bring a smile to the faces of anyone working out the incorrect pronunciation.

A possible source of, if not inspiration, then at least ideas in the form of riddles at http://www.mcs.csueastbay.edu/~malek/Mathlinks/Minds/Minds1.html.

A few largely unexceptional names I might consider if the squid were mine:

Alan (You might also use Turing as a given name).
Arouet (See Francois - To make it even more fun for computers, use a cedilla to accent the c)
Bertrand (Do I hear a Russeling?)
Charles/Carl/Karl (Darwin/Sagan/Gauss/Popper)
Epicurus (Heh!)
François (Marie doesn't have the same ring to it, although Arouet might do too. This also embeds a nod to both Champollion and Gauss.)
Friedrich (That's Nietzsche meant to be funny. Also a bow to Hindenburg. And the Great.)
Gottfrei* (At last, VerDammerung)
Leonardo (Yes, that one)
Luke (Use the force :-)
Mark (Twain)

If you use an alphabetical name, consider using names in the first half of the dictionary. It is such a bind to have to wait till after everyone else most every time that you are told to line up alphabetically. Of course, a "l33t" name might jump the queue by using numbers. Hello, I'm "0". Pronounced "Zero". But written "ought."

Consider also that shorter is better, that ideally it should be easy to rhyme with (considering that your surname is amphibracic, consider that form for the combination of given names), try to pick some combination which allows the development of a handsome monogram (generally not having to raise the pen), consider the joy of names, the initials of which form an anagram and finally, try to pick one which does not lend itself to teasing (e.g. You might find, that a name, otherwise without blame or a vestige of shame, which rhymes with stunt, or even runt, Would to his mind, be considered unkind). So, on the basis of the last, George is always a bad choice... (Georgie Peorgie pudding and pie, kissed the girls and made them cry, when the boys came out to play, Georgie Peorgie ran away).

*Reached via the strange path from (Elisabeth of Bohemia, Princess Palatine (who I, like Descartes, think was remarkably beautiful)) from whence I wandered from René Descartes to ("this is the best of all possible worlds"!) Gottfried Leibniz and was inspired by the thought that Gottfrei (Free of gods) would play elegantly on Gottfried who as one of the two fathers of the calculus can be forgiven much but not his fatuous fallacy, "this is the best of all possible worlds."

Which quite naturally led to thoughts of Francois. Or, more properly, François.

PS As Pangloss was made to say, quite correctly, by Francois Marie Arouet de Voltaire, the optimist says, "This is the best of all possible worlds!" and the pessimist gloomily replies, "I'm most dreadfully afraid that you might be right!" Be sure to read the linked work at http://www.harrymaugans.com/2006/03/30/voltaires-candide/ which explains why this is an exceptionally interesting story. If you enjoy it, you might also try the same author's (lesser IMO) piece, Worldly and Personal Influences on Voltaire’s Writing.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-12 01:33:06 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-06-18 12:17:44 »

Junior.

like I said..
Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

Never underestimate the odds.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-06-18 23:32:49 »

Wow!

I can't believe I almost missed this thread.

First of allow me to congratulate both Lucifer and Se7en on their wonderful news.

Secondly, Allow me to offer a name for suggestion...forgive me if you find it terrible.
I came up with this name myself (although there are variants of it) and was planning on using it in a project which I am writing.
I can almost certainly guarantee that you will not find this in the top 25 baby names.

Eleysis

Pronunciation: El - ee - sis

Origin: Made up, but technically Greek

Variants: Elysium and Eleusis

denotation: (That which I have designed it to mean) Advent child;
Elysium - A place or condition of ideal happiness; Eleusis - connected with two Greek words, arrival and light.

Etymology: Apart from just coming from my head, it was derived from it's variants, Elysium and Eleusis;

Elysium: A synonym for paradise, it is the ancient Greek version of heaven.                                  The Elysian fields, were the final resting place of the souls of the heroic and the virtuous.              They lay on the western margin of the earth, by the encircling stream of Oceanus, and there the mortal relatives of the king of the gods were transported, without tasting death, to enjoy an immortality of bliss (Odyssey 4.563).

Eleusis: Eleusis is the sanctuary, where the cult of the goddess Demeter existed many centuries and where the most famous religious festival, called the Eleusinian mysteries were performed in the honour of this deity. According to the "Homeric Hymn to Demeter" (7th century BCE), when the goddess Demeter was desparetely looking for her daughter (Kore) Persephone - kidnapped by Aidoneus (Hades) - during her wandering she came to the city Eleusis.

Phew...well thats my two cents, although Sephiroth's a good name (powerful too) or Leathan maybe.

Congratulations once more!

And good luck with those impending sleepless nights!

Regards,

Fox
« Last Edit: 2006-06-18 23:34:11 by White Fox » Report to moderator   Logged

I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. - Gatsu
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: