logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2023-03-22 11:54:38 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

  Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2006

  RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
previous next
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!  (Read 1537 times)
Blunderov
Archon
*****

Gender: Male
Posts: 3160
Reputation: 8.92
Rate Blunderov



"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
« on: 2006-02-12 01:17:00 »
Reply with quote

[Blunderov] There will come a day of reckoning. Maybe not now, maybe not
soon.

Remember Pinochet.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info//article11844.htm

Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!

'Why didn't you do something to stop all this?'

By revcom.us

02/05/06 "Revcom" -- -- It was a historic moment at the National Press Club
in Washington, only blocks from the White House. On February 2, the
preliminary findings of the International Commission on Crimes Against
Humanity were read out by Ajamu Sankofa, executive director of the
Physicians for Social Responsibility-NY and former national secretary of
Blacks for Reparations in America.

Listening to the verdicts, Ray McGovern, a former CIA analyst and founder of
Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity, exclaimed: "This is what our
German forbearers in the 1930s did NOT do. They sat around, blamed their
rulers, said 'maybe everything's going to be alright.'... That is something
we cannot do. Because I don't want my grandchildren asking me years from
now, 'why didn't you do something to stop all this?'"

The findings were based on five days of public testimony in New York in
October and January. The work of the Commission brought together a unique
combination of former government officials, experts in international law,
human rights monitors in the relevant areas, and victims of the crimes under
investigation. It was a Commission of great legal, ethical, and moral
credibility based on its integrity, its rigor in the presentation of
evidence, and the stature of its participants.

On the first charge of committing wars of aggression, the Commission found:
"The evidence is overwhelming that the Bush Administration authorized and is
conducting a war of aggression against Iraq in violation of international
law, including The Nuremberg Principles, Geneva Conventions of 1949, the
United Nations Charter, and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In
doing so, the Bush Administration has committed war crimes and crimes
against humanity."

Former United Nations weapons inspector Scott Ritter was a compelling
witness before the Commission on this issue. Ritter led the investigation
into the defection of Sadam Hussein's son-in-law, Hussein Kamel:

"Dick Cheney said because of Hussein Kamel's defection the United Nations,
indeed the United States, received evidence that Iraq was actively
reconstituting its nuclear weapons program... Dick Cheney was lying. Dick
Cheney knew that he was lying.... But it is evidence that the Bush
administration willfully exaggerated the threat posed by Iraq's WMDs,
thereby negating any case they might make about the existence of a clear and
present threat that warranted pre-emptive attack."

The actual conduct of the war was also a major issue investigated by the
Commission, especially the destruction of the city of Fallujah using white
phosphorous and hyperbaric bombs. The Commission saw film of the bombing of
civilians in Fallujah that was truly damning. Shown was the pilot's camera
trained on the ground where people were running in the street. The pilot
asks his controller, "shall I take them out?" And the controller says,
"Yes." The pilot kept a laser focused on the crowd until a guided bomb
exploded in the middle of the running crowd.

The destruction of Fallujah, a city of over 300,000 people, in retaliation
for the death of four U.S. mercenaries, was a vivid reenactment of a
historic war crime - the destruction of the Czechoslovakian village of
Lidice in 1942 by the Nazis in retaliation for the assassination of a high
Nazi official.

On the indictment for illegal detention and torture, the Commission found:
"There was substantial evidence submitted through testimony and documents
that the Bush Administration committed war crimes and crimes against
humanity in conducting its 'War Against Terror.' It did this by developing
and implementing policies and practices that violated international law and
international human rights to force information from detainees and to punish
those whom it believes may be 'enemy combatants.'"

Barbara Olshansky, from the Center for Constitutional Rights, told the
Commission of an August 2002 memo written for Alberto Gonzales, now Attorney
General: "It talks about what the traditional definitions of torture are...
and it says that a very good case can be made for redefining torture. And
the definition that is recommended in that memo is that torture really is
only when someone is at the risk of complete organ failure or death. And
that is a new definition of torture in the United States according to this
administration. Then the memo proceeds to...examine all the ways that the
government could avoid liability, even if its actions meet that definition
of torture. It is a staggering document..."

The results of such "legal theories" by the U.S. government at the very top
were described by Brig. General Janis Karpinski (U.S. Army ret.), the former
commandant of the infamous Abu-Ghraib prison in Iraq. After photographs of
the torture of prisoners there were revealed, Gen. Karpinski entered the
cell block where this happened and found a memo attached to the wall calling
for harsher interrogation techniques and signed by Secretary of Defense
Donald Rumsfeld. In the margin was handwritten: "Make sure this happens!!"
Karpinski went on to testify that a high-ranking general demanded that Iraqi
prisoners be "treated like dogs."

Craig Murray, former British ambassador to Uzbekistan, provided particularly
chilling testimony on the horrible forms of torture used by the U.S.'s
'Coalition of Willing' and declared, in a very moving moment, "I'd rather
die than have someone tortured to save my life."

On the indictment for destruction of the global environment: "The testimony
of scientists and the scientific reports and other documents submitted
during the inquiry support a conclusion that the Bush Administration has
committed crimes against humanity by its environmental policies and
practices."

Daphne Wysham, from the Institute for Policy Studies and the Sustainable
Energy and Economy Network gave a searing example: "On June 8, 2005, the New
York Times, through whistle-blower Rick Pilz, exposed [White House official
Philip] Cooney as the primary censor of climate change policy documents at
the highest levels of government. Two days later, Cooney resigned... Cooney
and his staff's edits were pervasive with 100 to 450 changes per report, and
shameless. Among the topics the government doesn't want you to know about
are the national and regional impacts from climate changes, consequences
like glacial melting and floods."

On the indictment for the destruction of New Orleans: "The evidence of the
Bush Administration's conscious and deliberate failings in preventing the
foreseeable devastation, including death toll, caused by Hurricane Katrina,
particularly in New Orleans, and its failure to respond efficiently and
appropriately after the Hurricane was overwhelming. Its failures constitute
crimes against humanity."

The Commission heard stunning testimony that the government knew full well
that New Orleans would be inundated in a major hurricane, and the President
himself knew two days in advance that Katrina would hit New Orleans. But no
efforts were made to evacuate the predominantly poor and Black masses of the
city. As a result, over 1,300 people died on the Gulf Coast with over 3,000
still missing.

Annette Addison, a Katrina survivor, told her personal story to the
Commission: "So many Army trucks just was driving past us. We even waved for
the Army trucks to help us because we were so desperate. We was dehydrated.
They did not give us any assistance. We even asked the police for water, and
where we could get gas to get out of the city. The police just looked at us
like we was nobody, as though we were nothing. Many were going into the
stores, and they said they were looters. But to be honest, they was going
into stores to survive. It was people helping people.It was not the Army, it
was not the police. It was not the ones that were in authority to help us.
It was just the community helping each other to survive."

At the February 2 press conference to release the Commission's preliminary
findings, three of the five Commission judges were present, along with
Commission Convener C. Clark Kissinger. In presenting the preliminary
findings (more findings will be presented later), the judges were emphatic
about the criminality of the Bush administration.

Judge Ann Wright, 29-year Army reserve colonel with 16 years in the State
Department as former deputy ambassador in Afghanistan, Mongolia, Sierra
Leone, and Micronesia:

"I believe the Commission is incredibly important for the future of the
United States and really the world, because it's the people of America who
are speaking to these very serious indictments. It's the people who are
coming forward with evidence, their personal testimony in many cases of
things that have happened to them, or cases of their lawyers, cases they
have worked, the human face of what torture is all about, what detention is
about, what war is all about - a war that's conducted the invasion and
occupation of a country that did nothing to the United States of America."

Judge Abdeen Jabara, board member of the Center for Constitutional Rights
and past president of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee:

"People who launch a war of aggression are in violation of international
law, have committed crimes against humanity, and that is the kind of
discourse we need to introduce into the United States... the use of torture
in the press often reported as "abuse" rather than torture. Of course, there
is no international convention for the prevention of abuse, but there is an
international convention for the prevention of torture. So we need to change
the way in which these items are talked about in order to get people to face
up to the fact of what this government is doing."

Judge Jabara closed by pointing to the profound significance of what Craig
Murray, the British ambassador to Uzbekistan, had said. Murray testified
that his government and the American government were OK with receiving
intelligence reports that had been obtained by torture in Uzbekistan. His
superiors in the British foreign service said to him that, "we don't mind as
long as we didn't ask them to do that. We can still receive this
information." Murray then added, "After I heard that, I understood how some
clerk could sign off on these cattle cars that were going to Auschwitz."
That's really what is at stake, Jabara pointed out. "The use of this
torture, the beginning of all these black sites - all of these things are
the road to Auschwitz."


---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.churchofvirus.org/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged
JD
Adept
****

Gender: Male
Posts: 542
Reputation: 7.23
Rate JD





View Profile
RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-12 13:27:20 »
Reply with quote



> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-virus@lucifer.com
> [mailto:owner-virus@lucifer.com] On Behalf Of Blunderov
> Sent: 12 February 2006 07:17
> To: virus@lucifer.com
> Subject: RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
>
> [Blunderov] There will come a day of reckoning. Maybe not
> now, maybe not soon.
>
> Remember Pinochet.
>
> http://www.informationclearinghouse.info//article11844.htm

A work of comic genius.

Participants include...Harry Belefonte!

FFS B, stop spamming us  with this crap. If people want to read the recycled
views of the far left, then set up a link roll or something that suits
mindless link propagation. And you moan about Joe Dees doing this!

Signed

Jonathan Davis
President
International Commission of Inquiry On Crimes Against Critical Thinking,
Fairness, balance and UTism




---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.churchofvirus.org/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon
*****

Posts: 4272
Reputation: 8.95
Rate Hermit



Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-13 04:29:13 »
Reply with quote

[Blunderov] [An omitted but nonetheless interesting post]

[Jonathan Davis] A work of comic genius. Participants include...Harry Belefonte!

[Hermit] I note that this is at worst a "debating fallacy" (Classic "Argumentum ad hominem" (as opposed to the decidedly non classic variety usually seen on the net)) and at best(?), a "Crime Against Critical Thinking". Naturally the source of an argument is not relevant to the quality of the argument.

[Jonathan Davis] FFS B, stop spamming us  with this crap.

[Hermit] "Crap" is, of course, a value judgement. I note Jonathan Davis' (as usual?) unsubstantiated opinion and again invite Jonathan Davis to support his assertions and his judgements in the Serious Business forum (if he can - but I think he cannot - and suspect that he is beginning to realize it - else his silence in that forum would possibly not be quite so underwhelming).

[Jonathan Davis] If people want to read the recycled views of the far left, then set up a link roll or something that suits mindless link propagation. And you moan about Joe Dees doing this!

[Hermit] I suggest that today the label the "far left" is as meaningless as the label "the far right". I also suggest that such labels are primarily deployed by those who have not realized that the landscape has changed far beyond the reach of outmoded descriptions as well as by those who feel obliged to use labels recognisable to the unwashed masses in the hope that somewhere in the Fox viewership they will find fellow travelers. Jonathan Davis is, of course, welcome to advance other reasons for using what appeared to me as content devoid putative epithets, but what looks and smells like argumentum ad hominem tu quoque leaves me lifting an eyebrow or three trying to think of one that might be acceptable to the rank and file of the "International Commission of Inquiry On Crimes Against Critical Thinking, Fairness, balance and UTism" - unless that forum too has been overrun by self-styled conservative centrists - advocating a return to the values and behaviour of Attila the Hun.

[Hermit] I suggest an alternative and possibly more interesting response than I felt Jonathan Davis to have offered. One that may (for hopefully self-evident reasons) possibly grease the path to a desperately needed war crimes trial: "Wanted. Someone prepared to give Bush a blowjob. (Swallowing not required.)"  Until then, I have no trouble with the tenor or balance of Blunderov's  of articles. And offer my condolences to those who do.

[Jonathan Davis] President International Commission of Inquiry On Crimes Against Critical Thinking, Fairness, balance and UTism

[Hermit] In the light of the above, read with Blunderov's interesting Chess post, the unavoidable hubris inherent in this claim is possibly a tactical error.
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Hermit
Archon
*****

Posts: 4272
Reputation: 8.95
Rate Hermit



Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
« Reply #3 on: 2006-02-13 07:01:39 »
Reply with quote

[Jonathan Davis] A work of comic genius. Participants include...Harry Belefonte!

[Hermit] Thank-you for drawing my attention to Harry Belafonte. I was unaware that he was as worth listening to as this. Please read the following transcript (off CNN quoted in full as this is a short excerpt from a much larger page) and see what I mean before laughing at him again.

[Hermit] In my opinion, he does a very elegant job of defanging Mr Blitzer and refusing to allow mischaracterizations of his position to stand. If Virians could maintain the poise and debating technique Harry Bellafonte demonstrates in this interview it would, in my opinion be a most excellent thing. No matter how much I dislike MLK and the hypocracy surrounding him, I am forced to admire Harry Belafonte's position, not just because he accurately skewers the current political SNAFU and its progenitors, but even more because I love watching a supposed sacrificial victim skewer a wannabe high priest with the putative high priest's very own snicker snee.

[Hermit] Which is undoubtedly what happened to the most deserving Mr Blizer on this segment. Thomas Paine once said, "...it is, I believe, impossible to find in any story upon record with so many and glaring absurdities, contradictions and falsehoods, as are in those books (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). They are more numerous and striking than I had any expectation of finding, when I began this examination..." (The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine, p. 67). He just lived too early. Had he had to observe the ongoing debacles and the perpetrators Jonathan Davis appears to me to be attempting, however unsuccessfully, to defend, Thomas Paine could not honestly have said any of this as the position would be reserved for the bumbling bush and cronies justification for wars along with their attempts to disguise the devastating consequences of their bad choices for the USA. Listening to Bush's putative defenders, It seems to me, that Hitler and the Gestapo only have a bad press because they missed out on all the hot and cold running neoconveniences of today. In particular, they didn't have Karl Rove on their side, or we would quite possibly be enjoying a Federal holiday named after George W Bush's coreligionist and ethical peer*, Adolf Hitler, to provide "balance" and "perspective" to MLK day.

PS Video apparently available from links off Crooks and Liars. I didn't try these links.

PPS If Harry Belafonte has only just "emerged as one of President Bush's harshest critics" when all he did was compare him to his fellow loving Christian, Adolf, then I can't be trying hard enough.

*"The national government ... will maintain and defend the foundations on which the power of our nation rests. It will offer strong protection to Christianity as the very basis of our collective morality." Adolf Hitler


BLITZER: The entertainer and liberal activist Harry Belafonte has emerged as one of President Bush's harshest critics. He's been at it again, comparing the Department of Homeland Security to the Nazi Gestapo just weeks after calling Mr. Bush a terrorist.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

BLITZER (voice-over): Harry Belafonte used to be best-known for this, the singer, actor, composer and producer launched a calypso music craze in the 1950s. A half century later though, the 78-year- old Belafonte may be best known for this. (BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

HARRY BELAFONTE, ENTERTAINER, ACTIVIST: No matter what the greatest tyrant in the world, the greatest terrorist in the world, George W. Bush says, we are hear to tell you, not hundreds, not thousands but millions of the American people, millions, support your revolution.

BLITZER (voice over): Belafonte stunned many Americans with his attack on President Bush and his embrace of Venezuela's socialist leader, Hugo Chavez.

But it wasn't the first time Belafonte lashed out at the Bush administration. In 2002 he went after then Secretary of State Colin Powell, a fellow native of both Harlem and Jamaica, likening him to a plantation slave.

BELAFONTE: Colin Powell's committed to come into the house of the master.

BLITZER: And just this weekend, Belafonte accused the Department of Homeland Security of suspending citizen's rights like the, quote, "new Gestapo." Talk like that seems to be making some Democrats nervous, including Illinois Senator Barack Obama.

SEN. BARACK OBAMA (D), ILLINOIS: You know, I never use Nazi analogies because I think that those were unique. And I think, you know, we have to be careful in using historical analogies like this.

BLITZER: And Senator Hillary Clinton reportedly took pains to avoid being photographed with Belafonte at a children's defense fund event in New York this month.

But Belafonte is standing behind his no-holds-barred assault on the president.

BELAFONTE: In the dictionary anyone who brings terror to people is an act of terrorism and a terrorist.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

BLITZER: President Bush today defended his tactics in fighting the war on terror even as critics like Harry Belafonte keep trying to hold his feet to the fire.

Joining us now from New York is Harry Belafonte.

Mr. Belafonte, thanks very much. Welcome to THE SITUATION ROOM.

BELAFONTE: Thank you, Mr. Blitzer.

BLITZER: The new Gestapo. You know, those are powerful words, calling an agency of the U.S. government, the Department of Homeland Security with, what, about 300,000 federal employees, the new Gestapo. Do you want to take that back? BELAFONTE: No, not really. I stand by my remarks. I am very much aware of what this has provoked in our national community. And I welcome the opportunity for us to begin to have a dialogue that goes other than where we've been having one up until now. People feel that I talk in extremes. But if you look at what's happening to American citizens, a lot is going on in the extreme.

We've taken citizens from this country without the right to be charged, without being told what they're taken for, we've spirited them out of this country, taken them to far away places and reports come back with some consistency that they are being tortured, that they're not being told what they've done. And even some who have been released have come back and testified to this fact.

BLITZER: But let me interrupt for a second. Are you familiar -- and I'm sure you are, because you're an intelligent man -- what the Gestapo did to the Jews in World War II?

BELAFONTE: Absolutely.

BLITZER: And you think that what the Department of Homeland Security is doing to, you know, some U.S. citizens suspected of terrorism is similar to what the Nazis did to the Jew?

BELAFONTE: Well, if you're taking people out of a country and spiriting them someplace else, and they're being tortured, and they're being charged without -- or not being charged, so they don't know what it is they've done.

It may not have been directly inside the Department of Homeland Security, but the pattern, the system, it's what the system does. It's what all these different divisions have begun to reveal in their collective.

My phones are tapped. OK? My mail can be opened. They don't even need a court warrant to come and do that as we once were required to do.

BLITZER: But no one has taken you or anyone else, as far as I can tell, to an extermination camp and by the tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, even millions decided to kill them, which is what the Nazis did.

BELAFONTE: Well, Mr. Blitzer, let me say this to you, perhaps, just perhaps had the Jews of Germany and people spoken out much earlier and had resisted the tyranny that was on the horizon, perhaps we would never have had...

BLITZER: Well, wait a minute, wait a minute, are you blaming the Jews of Germany for what Hitler did to them?

BELAFONTE: No, no. What I'm saying is that if it an awakened citizenry, begins to oppose the first inkling of the subversion of government, of the subversion of our democracy, then perhaps an early warning would have saved the world a lot of what we all experienced. I'm not accusing the Jews at all. BLITZER: Well, I just heard you say perhaps if the Jews of Germany had done something earlier then that might not have happened. That's what I thought you were getting at.

BELAFONTE: Well, what I was getting at really is that if all citizens, the Jewish community, the Christian community and all else had taken a very early aggressive stand rather than somehow suggesting or thinking or feeling that this would have gone away, we might have found that Germany would have been in a far different place than it wound up in.

BLITZER: Let me get through some of these other points, because we don't have a whole lot of time.

BELAFONTE: OK.

BLITZER: When you were in Venezuela with Hugo Chavez, you said that Bush is the greatest terrorist, the greatest tyrant. Are you saying that President Bush is worse than Osama bin Laden?

BELAFONTE: I'm saying that he's no better. You know, it's hard to make a hyperbole stick. I obviously haven't had a chance to meet all the terrorists in the world, so I have no reason to throw around the words like the greatest or make some qualitative statement. I do believe he is a terrorist.

I do believe that what our government does has terror in the center of its agenda. When you lie to the American people, when you've misled them and you've taken our sons and daughters to foreign lands to be destroyed, and you look at tens of thousands of Arab women and children and innocent people being destroyed each day, under the title of collateral damage, I think there's something very wrong with the leadership.

BLITZER: What you did say in Venezuela was that President Bush was, and I'm quoting now, the greatest tyrant in the world and the greatest terrorist in the world.

BELAFONTE: Yes, I did say that.

BLITZER: So you did use the word, the greatest.

Here's what you were quoted as saying in "The Raleigh News and Observer" on January 16th. And I'll let you amend or clarify your remarks.

"When you have a president that has led us into a dishonorable war, who has killed tens of thousands, many of them our own sons and daughters, what is the difference between those who would fly airplanes into buildings killing 3,000 innocent Americans? What is the difference between that terror and other terrors?"

Now that raises the issue of moral equivalency. Are you saying what the Bush administration, what the president is doing is the moral equivalent of what al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden ordered on 9/11? BELAFONTE: I think President George W. Bush, I think Cheney, I think Rumsfeld, I think all of these people have lost any moral integrity. I find what we are doing is hugely immoral to the American people and to others in the world.

BLITZER: And the same, or if not worse than al Qaeda? Is that what you're saying?

BELAFONTE: Well, I don't want to make those kind of comparisons. I'm not too sure all of what al Qaeda has done. Al Qaeda tortures. We torture. Al Qaeda's killed innocent people. We kill innocent people. Where do the lines get blurred here?

BLITZER: Well, I think the argument is, and correct me if I'm wrong, that al Qaeda deliberately wanted to kill as many people as possible in the World Trade Center and those two buildings. They didn't care if they were executives or janitors or crooks or anybody else. They just wanted to kill as many Americans as possible.

The U.S., when it goes after terrorists, there may be what's called collateral damage, but they're trying to kill enemies of the United States, those who have engaged in terror or similar actions. Do you understand the difference?

BELAFONTE: I understand the difference. What I don't want to get stuck with, or be guided by, is what you call collateral damage. That does not cleanse us morally. All of a sudden, it's beyond our capacity or our means to have made a difference in what we've done to thousands and thousands of Arabs.

I'm quite sure if you went through each and every body, you would find that somebody was a baker, somebody was a store keeper, somebody was a cab driver, somebody was a student. I don't know, you know, murder is murder. And just because you may do it under different guises does not remove the moral imperative.

We are in this war immorally and illegally. And we have no business doing what we do.

BLITZER: What about -- and these were very, very damning words that you said a few years ago, and I wonder if you still stick by them. When you call Colin Powell, the secretary of state at that time, or Condoleezza Rice, the president's national security adviser now the secretary of state, plantation slaves.

It's one thing to disagree with them, but when you get involved in name calling with all the history of our country, plantation slaves, isn't that crossing the line?

BELAFONTE: Not at all. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of plantations in America where people are slaving away their lives. You know, one of the big problems that we have in this country is the inability to be honest and to be straightforward.

We've never had a dialogue in this country on the real issues of slavery. I don't even want to get stuck there. But what I said about Colin Powell is that he serves his master well. And in that context, I was asked to describe what that meant. And I used the metaphor of slavery and the plantation. And I stand by it.

So Colin Powell was viewed to be this rather moderate, honest human being. He stood before the United Nations and lied and knew he was lying. I mean, where do we draw these lines here?

BLITZER: How do you know Colin Powell knew he was lying? He says, and he's said as many times, he says he thought he was giving accurate information, although he subsequently learned that it was not accurate. But there's a difference between misspeaking and lying.

BELAFONTE: Mr. Blitzer, you have access to a lot of information. More than once we've discussed the fact that Colin Powell went before his president, went before others and said, "I can't say this. It is not correct. There are things about it that touch me deeply and disturb me."

And all of a sudden there he was in front of the U.N., despite this disclaimer, doing what he did. The world's at war. People are dying every day. These are human lives. Where do you draw this line of distinction?

Is it because they're over there and we're here? Is it because we sit on some righteous place saying that we're the finest nation in the world and that all else is less than we are? That's unacceptable in 21st century society.

BLITZER: Harry Belafonte, unfortunately we have to leave it there, we're out of time. But it was kind of you to spend a few moments with us here in THE SITUATION ROOM. I see you're not backing away from one word of what you said.

BELAFONTE: No, I can't. Dr. King is my mentor and I believe in truth, and that's what I'm doing.

BLITZER: Harry Belafonte, joining us in THE SITUATION ROOM, thank you very much.

BELAFONTE: Thank you, Mr. Blitzer.
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
JD
Adept
****

Gender: Male
Posts: 542
Reputation: 7.23
Rate JD





View Profile
RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
« Reply #4 on: 2006-02-15 17:43:30 »
Reply with quote


Quote from: Hermit on 2006-02-13 04:29:13   

[Blunderov] [An omitted but nonetheless interesting post]

[Jonathan Davis] A work of comic genius. Participants include...Harry Belefonte!

[Hermit] I note that...

I note that Hermit spent lots of time crafting a snide response that got, well, plonked.

Consider your invitations to "debate" or participate in the serious business forums declined.

Politically, you are the fat lass at the Mutant's Ball.

Don't bother replying to me. I am not trolling but neither do I give a funk what you or the vast majority of the crew here think about politics or me for that matter.

On the subject of contemporary politics, this is an echo chamber and a dull one at that.

I note that Joe Dees was pilloried for posting partisan content, yet you defend it when it suits your agenda.  I hope you will defend me if I chose to post some balancing content :-)

JD
Report to moderator   Logged
JD
Adept
****

Gender: Male
Posts: 542
Reputation: 7.23
Rate JD





View Profile
RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
« Reply #5 on: 2006-02-15 17:48:32 »
Reply with quote


Quote from: Hermit on 2006-02-13 07:01:39   

[Jonathan Davis] A work of comic genius. Participants include...Harry Belefonte!

[Hermit] Thank-you for drawing my attention to Harry Belafonte. I was unaware that he was as worth listening to as this. Please read the following transcript (off CNN quoted in full as this is a short excerpt from a much larger page) and see what I mean before laughing at him again.

Googled, cut and paste as is. Your new icon in his own words <forget Blitzer, I am the guffawing sniggerer now!>

--START--

harry belafonte quotes

http://boycottliberalism.com/biographies/Belafonte.htm


CARACAS, Venezuela The American singer and activist Harry Belafonte called President Bush "the greatest terrorist in the world" on Sunday and said millions of Americans support the socialist revolution of Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez.

"No matter what the greatest tyrant in the world, the greatest terrorist in the world, George W. Bush says, we're here to tell you: Not hundreds, not thousands, but millions of the American people ... support your revolution," Belafonte told Chavez during the broadcast

Belafonte accused U.S. news media of falsely painting Chavez as a "dictator," when in fact, he said, there is democracy and citizens are "optimistic about their future."

Belafonte suggested setting up a youth exchange for Venezuelans and Americans. He finished by shouting in Spanish: "Viva la revolucion!"

Belafonte Says Bush Is 'Greatest Terrorist in the World,' Praises Venezuelan Dictator
Sunday, January 08, 2006
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181030,00.html


"Hitler had a lot of Jews high up in the hierarchy of the Third Reich. Color does not necessarily denote quality, content or value," Belafonte said in an exclusive interview with Cybercast News Service.

"[If] a black is a tyrant, he is first and foremost a tyrant, then he incidentally is black. Bush is a tyrant and if he gathers around him black tyrants, they all have to be treated as they are being treated," he added

Harry Belafonte Calls Black Republicans 'Tyrants'
By Marc Morano CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer August 08, 2005
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=%5CSpecialReports%5Carchive%5C200508%5CSPE20050808a.html


"In the days of slavery, there were those slaves who lived on the plantation and were those slaves  that lived in the house. "You got the  privilege of living in the house if you served the master... exactly the way the master intended to have you serve him. "Colin Powell's committed to come into the house of the master. When Colin Powell dares to suggest something other than what the master wants to hear, he will be turned back out to pasture."



Powell rejects Belafonte  slave

Thursday, 10 October, 2002, 14:25 GMT 15:25 UK 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2317063.stm







Mr Belafonte also criticized other members of the Bush Administration, comparing the tactics of the Justice Department with those used during the McCarthy communist "witch-hunt" era of the 1950s. "Families were destroyed, neighbors spied on neighbors," he said. "Now we find [the Attorney-General, John] Ashcroft cutting in under the guise of catching terrorists, suspending liberties and rights. "To deny those rights, to any citizen, to any people, is to cast a great shame on us and lead us back to another dark period." There have been protests that US civil liberties are being eroded by the Government's "war on terror".



Belafonte lashes 'house slave' Powell for serving Bush

October 10 2002

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/10/09/1034061254941.html







"In fact and practice ... you are serving those who continue to design our oppression," he said of Powell and Rice. "That is villainy, and I insist you look at it."



Belafonte, 75, said he expects the Bush administration to try to wipe away affirmative action, eliminate a woman's right to choose abortion and pursue a war with Iraq "that makes absolutely no sense."



Sept. 11 "wasn't just Bin Laden. Bin Laden didn't come from the abstract. He came from somewhere, and if you look where ... you'll see America's hand of villainy."



Entertainment - AP Gossip/Celebrity Belafonte Lashes Out at Bush Over Race http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030121/ap_en_ce/people_belafonte_1







Asked if he thought leaders of his own country were misguided, Belafonte, said: "Absolutely. I not only think that they are misguided, but I think they know exactly what they are doing and I think that they are men who are possessed of evil."



"I don't think that (U.S. President) George Bush...is a man of honor,"



"I think he has a very selfish, arrogant point of view. I think he is interested in power, I think he believes his truth is the only truth, and that he will do what he wants to do despite the people,"



March 4, 2003

Belafonte Says U.S. Leaders 'Possessed of Evil'

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/reuters20030304_173.html

--END--

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon
*****

Posts: 4272
Reputation: 8.95
Rate Hermit



Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
« Reply #6 on: 2006-02-16 16:37:42 »
Reply with quote

[Jonathan Davis] Googled, cut and paste as is. Your new icon in his own words <forget Blitzer, I am the guffawing sniggerer now!>

[Hermit] I expect that you would appreciate thanks for your research, despite the fact that presumably you disagree with what Harry Belafonte says. Thanks. Now could you identify your disagreements and perhaps try to explain why you are "guffawing" or "sniggering" (These seem to be mutually exclusive, please describe the combination a little better)?

[Hermit] As for the rest, "Unworthy" comes to mind, as well as illogical. Why engage in cut and paste/run asymmetric warfare if, as you put it, you don't "give a funk"?
« Last Edit: 2006-02-16 18:32:26 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
JD
Adept
****

Gender: Male
Posts: 542
Reputation: 7.23
Rate JD





View Profile
RE: virus: Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!
« Reply #7 on: 2006-02-20 03:45:17 »
Reply with quote


Quote from: Hermit on 2006-02-16 16:37:42   

[Jonathan Davis] Googled, cut and paste as is. Your new icon in his own words <forget Blitzer, I am the guffawing sniggerer now!>

[Hermit]  Now could you identify your disagreements and perhaps try to explain why you are "guffawing" or "sniggering" (These seem to be mutually exclusive, please describe the combination a little better)?

[Hermit] As for the rest, "Unworthy" comes to mind, as well as illogical. Why engage in cut and paste/run asymmetric warfare if, as you put it, you don't "give a funk"?

[Jonathan] I contain multitudes. I crave balance. I do it all for fun.

JD

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Church of Virus BBS | Powered by YaBB SE
© 2001-2002, YaBB SE Dev Team. All Rights Reserved.

Please support the CoV.
Valid HTML 4.01! Valid CSS! RSS feed