logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-07 22:23:41 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

Romanian sues God.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Romanian sues God.  (Read 925 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Romanian sues God.
« on: 2005-10-19 14:37:39 »

http://en.rian.ru/world/20051018/41809986.html

Romanian prisoner sues God

ATHENS, October 18 (RIA Novosti) - A prisoner in a Romanian jail is suing God, Greek state television reported from Bucharest Tuesday.

"God received different material valuables from me, as well as prayers in exchange for promises of a better life. In reality, this did not happen - I found myself in the devil's hands," the plaintiff said.

The convict is serving 20 years in the west Romanian city of Timisoara. He apparently blames God for the troubles in his life and wants God brought to account for failing to fulfill the commitments He undertook and for taking bribes.

The plaintiff said that when he had been baptized in childhood, he concluded a contract with God that had legal effect - God was supposed to protect him from evil.

The plaintiff said the Romanian Orthodox Church, which, according to him, directly represents God, should compensate him for the alleged God-inflicted damage.

In line with the law, the lawsuit was submitted to court. However, as the defendant is neither an individual nor a company, and is not subject to a civil court of law's jurisdiction, the case is unlikely to be heard regardless of how justified the plaintiff's demands may be, court officials said
Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Romanian sues God.
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-20 02:40:42 »

[Blunderov] Sounds like he might have got his inspiration from the movie "The Man Who Sued God".

Herewith, a slightly more favourable review than I might have written. My hackles rose a little at a scene in which a dove crashes through a stained glass window signifying, one presumes, a Damascus moment. One of the minor characters is a cute dog, if that clues you in.

(A very nice Kelpie he is too. But, in my experience, movies featuring even the most charming of dogs seldom have a good prognosis.) 

Best Regards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2003/08/01/the_man_who_sued_god_2003_review.shtml

The Man Who Sued God (2003)
Reviewed by Jamie Russell
Updated 04 October 2003 Contains strong language

A theological romantic comedy drama with a courtroom showdown conclusion, The Man Who Sued God is a hard film to categorise. It's also a hard film not to like, since its so-absurd-it-could-be-true story about a man who decides to sue Him Upstairs for damages is nicely played by all concerned.

In his first comedy role on film, aging Scottish madman Billy Connolly plays Steve Myers, an ex-lawyer turned drop out loafer who bums around Australia on his fishing boat. After the boat's struck by a bolt of lightning and the insurance company reveals a tiny clause about 'Acts of God' hidden in the small print, Myers decides to take his case against the Lord all the way to court.

Either the Act of God clause is "some kind of giant all purpose lying mechanism" used by insurance agents to crush the little man, or it's what it says it is: an act for which God ought to be responsible. So, Myers decides to sue the Church, summoning representatives of every major faith. As the legal twists and turns kick in, the religious leaders will only be able to win the case if they can prove one thing: that God doesn't exist.

It may not sound like much but this sparky little comedy has a lot going for it, from Connolly's slapstick antics (trashing a Sushi restaurant while half cut) to the satirical comedy of the courtroom scenes where the church leaders prove to be just as devious as the insurance salesmen.

It's modest fare, but there's something rather sweet about the cranky relationship between Connolly and Judy Davis (as the journalist who decides to help him with his quest), which is well served by director Mark Joffe's willingness to take the little man versus the system theme with a huge pinch of salt.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: