logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 21:17:39 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish  (Read 842 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
« on: 2005-09-11 00:40:20 »

if you are one of the three people on the surface of the earth to have not read Steve Job's commencement address at Stanford...

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

its all about connecting the dots. a really good read.
Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
« Reply #1 on: 2005-09-11 04:20:50 »

Guilty as charged - I was one of the three. Now corrected and a very worthwhile, inspirational even, read it was.

'The Whole Earth Catalogue' was a favourite of mine once. In particular there was a story called 'Divine Right's Trip' which appeared in side panels included in most of the pages. It was written from the PoV of a VW Van (Yes, we had one of those; lemon yellow and white it was) as it transported it's hippy owner from place to place. The owner had eschewed the possession of any personal name other than 'Divine Right' and was known to others only as 'the Greek'.

I was especially fascinated at the notion of not having a name; something which I still can't really get my head around to this day.

<snip>
Whole Earth Catalog
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
(Redirected from Whole earth catalog)
The Whole Earth Catalog was a sizeable catalog published twice a year from 1968 to 1972, and occasionally thereafter, until 1998. Its purposes were to provide education and "access to tools" in order that the reader could "find his own inspiration, shape his own environment, and share his adventure with whoever is interested."

The Catalog's development and marketing were driven by an energetic group of founders, primarily Stewart Brand (whose family was also involved with the project). Its outsize pages measured 11x14 inches (28x36 cm). Later editions were more than an inch thick. It was published by the Portola Institute, headed by Richard Raymond. In 1972, the catalog won the National Book Award.

Brand's publishing efforts were suffused with an awareness of the importance of ecology (as a field of study and an influence) to the emerging human awareness and to the future of humankind.

The Catalogs were an extremely important means of disseminating many of the ideas now associated with the 1960s, particularly the counterculture and environmental movements. Later editions, plus descendant publications edited by Brand, circulated many innovative ideas during the 1970s-1990s.</snip>

Divine right's trip
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Divine Right's Trip is a story set in the 1960s, and chronicles the awakening of the hippie stoner Divine Right as he travels with his patient and introspective VW Bus, Urge. It was originally printed in installments as an adjunct in The Last Whole Earth Catalog.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right%27s_trip"

Best Regards.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: