logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-02 17:23:12 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

Red-blue-purple states and stem cell research
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Red-blue-purple states and stem cell research  (Read 506 times)
rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Red-blue-purple states and stem cell research
« on: 2005-05-31 11:07:16 »

From the MIT Tech Review's blogs:

Purple America
http://pontin.trblogs.com/archives/2005/05/purple_america_1.html

The Daily Browse has a fascinating map depicting congressional support for increased funding of embryonic stem cell research. On Wednesday, Representatives voted 238 to 194 to support federal funding--short of the two-thirds majority required to override Mr. Bush's promised veto of any bill. In other words, in a vote where the Republican whips did not enforce Party discipline, and where Congressmen and women voted to please their conscience or constituents, most Representatives supported federal investment in the new science. The President's uncomplicated, unwavering distaste for stem cell research is not shared by many Americans--who mostly feel ambivalent about the subject.

[rhinoceros]
I shouldn't read too much into this map since I don't know the circumstances and the dominant issues on which the congressmen were elected, but I can't help noticing that the USA does not seem to be as "red" as often assumed when it comes to stem cell research. Also, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Nebraska are the purest red here, redder than, say, Utah. Does this suggest that lack of education plays a larger role than religious beliefs, or what?

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: