logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-02 10:03:20 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

American clo(w)ne
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: American clo(w)ne  (Read 711 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
American clo(w)ne
« on: 2005-05-21 05:38:49 »

No US scientist is known to be actively involved in cloning. Funds are going to liberate brown people (with the desirable effect of siphoning off their oil) instead of research. Gorgeous George with his amazing Scottish Balls asked the right questions, but that's another topic.(Galloway: the man who took America http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=639588)

India has a stem cell bank. UK and Asia are making strides..meaning in Trenton, NJ, a lawmaker makes a child cry. That is America wailing, people.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/moran/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1116565222185690.xml

The lawmaker who made Emily weep
Friday, May 20, 2005

Emily Greatrex is an eighth- grader who has juvenile diabetes, a disease that could kill or cripple her long before her time.

Her parents took her to Trenton on Monday because she wanted to talk to legislators about embryonic stem-cell research. It's no sure thing, but scientists believe this research may yield a cure for diabetes someday.

"I'm really hoping that by the time I'm a parent, I won't have this disease anymore," says Emily, 14, who lives in Mount Laurel.

So far, so good.

But Emily ran into Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll in the Statehouse hallway. A conservative Republican from Morris County, he is happiest when he is butting heads over ideologically charged issues.

If that means an eighth-grade girl has to go down, so be it.

Within a few minutes, Emily was running to her mother's arms, tears streaming down her face as a crowd gathered.

Before he was done, Emily's mother was crying, too. And her father, still standing next to Carroll, was wondering how to get this guy to just shut up.

"Emily believed him," her father said. "This was like a blow to her stomach."

What exactly did Carroll say?

"He basically told me I would die with diabetes," Emily says. "All the hopes my parents have given me about being cured just disappeared in front of my eyes. He just shot me down."

Carroll says he's sorry if he made Emily cry and he never said she would die. But he concedes that he said her hopes about embryonic stem cell research were entirely unfounded. And he says it's her parents who were cruel if they fed her these false hopes.

"Was I shrill -- or passionate?" Carroll asks. "Sometimes there's a fine line."

If you have ever wondered how political debates turn grownups into bullies, look no further.

Carroll's treatment of young Emily caused a stir among the advocates of stem cell research. They alerted acting Gov. Richard Codey, who sent Carroll a letter yesterday.

"Sadly, your behavior is representative of the larger breakdown in civility and decency," Codey wrote. "Assemblyman, no matter what your stance is on stem cell research, it is not up to you to give out medical advice. It is not up to you to make baseless predictions. And it is not up to you to extinguish a young girl's hope that science will one day help her lead a better life."
Report to moderator   Logged
Pabreetzio
Magister

Rate Pabreetzio

I'm Patrick
   Pabreetzio Pabreetzio
View Profile E-Mail
Re:American clo(w)ne
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-24 00:24:46 »

The reason to not participate in stem cell research is because of a matter of morals. I think that morals are important, but then again, lets look at how we derive these morals. The morals are derived from the perception that human life is a sacred thing and not to be messed with- some foresee possibilty of dehumanization through stem cell research, meaning treating humans like any other animal rather than as something special with cogniscience.

The sentience of humans is seen as a reason to treat humans as special, but the fact is that we are animals, and that our sentience is something entirely different from our bodies. That it comes from memes being propagated within the animal host, and that before one has developed ability to become a host, and is not a host of so many memes, they really arnt anything special. If we were to look at a collection of memes as something seperate and higher than our individual bodies then we would come to the conclusion that these issues such as abortion and stem cell research really are not morally wrong.

Despite the fact that with a more comprehensive understanding the morality of the research is fine, some do not understand what being human really is. And without the understanding one must abide by those morals that have prohibited the research, and that is to be respected. The wrong way of argueing against these morals is to say that one should rather base their decisions on the situations of people needing research, and the advantages vs disadvantages. Truth is it doesnt have any disadvantages, so why point out the advantages of this one girl. But the fact that ones current morals allow for such cases should be a red flag that ones morals need re-evaluation.

The right way I feel to argue against the blocking of stem cell research is to argue on moral principle the nature of human life, and what human life really is. A fetus is NOT, as far as I am concerned, the human life that I feel needs protection from dehumanization. I feel that all sentient beings with collection of memes deserve protection against dehumanizations, for they are worth more than the sum total of their physical parts. The ability of a fetus to become such a thing doesnt cut it imho.

Cloning is perfectly moral, ethical, and should be allowed. Stories of unfortunate circumstances dont pose a good arguement against those who would say otherwise, though, I feel.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: