logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-29 20:32:25 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2005

virus: The beginnings of memetics, as an experimental science...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: virus: The beginnings of memetics, as an experimental science...  (Read 423 times)
deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
virus: The beginnings of memetics, as an experimental science...
« on: 2005-02-02 20:51:27 »

I had a vision in the fall, and after many months of study and research, I discovered that the people most likely to understand what I was talking about was... you!

I assumed that the field of memetics would be filled with tribes of people, working together to create experiments of memetic insertion. A growing body of literature about memetic methodology.

Strangely enough, I recently read somewhere that the field of memetics itself may be in danger if we cannot prove that it can be mapped to an experimental science.

I have the kernel of the methodology. With collective processing, we can turn it into a movement - we can turn people into membots on memetics itself, relaying to others that there is a memetics movement. As we practice memetics in larger and larger groups, the apathetic masses will flock to us - if we can improve their lives and offer them a way to help improve others.

What's my area of expertise, that leads me to such a claim?

I am an ADHD math teacher with a history degree as well. I've taught in the rich, I've taught in the poor schools, public, private. I'm 28 - pretty young. I'm right in Generation Meta, that one after X and before Next. I have a little boy. I think about learning and cognition and language and symbols and

BAM! One day I saw how information and language structures in our head flow.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that memetics doesn't have one single metaphor, or even a pattern for parsing ideas down to metaphor for the brains at the other end to be infected with!

I'm talking ACTIVE infections.

What I feel we need is a parsing conversation. I've written thousands upon thousands of words about this idea, and each time it parsed down towards clarity, towards a linear idea that another person could swallow. Each time it grew towards clarity _because_ I discussed it with another person or group of people.

I practiced infecting people with an idea about how they could be acted upon, and how they would react, AND I spoke to them about what I was trying to do, and why, and listened to what they said.  Each experience began to bring the single symbol down to clarity.

There's a pattern in how people react. There's a structure in how people learn. There's a method to laying out information so that it will be swallowed. There's a solution for avoiding the 'talking leads to talking' trap. There's a way to measure communities, individuals, and the world, for memetic bounce.

I haven't really heard any chatter on this email lately - is anyone interested in discussing this?

A key component is making sure to get permission for a memetic insertion. May I please have your ear for a moment, one might say...

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
simul
Adept

Rate simul

I am a lama.
simultaneous zoneediterik
View Profile WWW
Re: virus: The beginnings of memetics, as an experimental science...
« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-04 18:13:11 »

If you want to study memetics, study marketing.

It's, pretty much, the same thing.
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

First, read Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", and then read http://electionmethods.org.
deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
Re: virus: The beginnings of memetics, as an experimental science...
« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-05 15:32:43 »

Okay, what are it's principles? If this is a memetic community, where
is our understanding of memetics?

I propose that there is a root structure block in marketing - we know
that the brain needs 10x the repetition for messages that it
fundamentally senses to be predatory.

I will start saying this, again and again, everywhere: The brain is
vulnerable in meta.

Does the CoV list already have a good definition of meta? I propose
that the entire field of memetics is founded upon a single one-word
meme.

Meta.

-b

On Feb 4, 2005, at 3:13 PM, Erik Aronesty wrote:

> If you want to study memetics, study marketing.
>
> It's, pretty much, the same thing.
> ---
> To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to
> <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

---

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: