logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-16 00:22:19 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Milton Friedman - Why Drugs Should Be Legalized
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Milton Friedman - Why Drugs Should Be Legalized  (Read 1172 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Milton Friedman - Why Drugs Should Be Legalized
« on: 2010-04-23 22:05:45 »

Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Milton Friedman - Why Drugs Should Be Legalized
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-24 04:16:12 »

[Blunderov] 5 stars to Friedman but only 4 to the producers of the video who chose to end with the caption " More Liberty, less government". Certainly it is a catchy slogan. And slogans do, by nature, tend to gloss over nuances. This one however is a fallacious equivocation. Not all government is bad, indeed more of it is required in respect of, for instance, the banking practices/fraud which has almost brought the world economy to its knees and which are a good example of decisions being made which lead to the harm of innocent bystanders. Perfectly legitimate for government to intervene here IMV. Do we see a " War Against Financial Malpractices" being waged tooth and nail in the boardrooms of America. Strangely, no. Why not, I wonder?
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-24 16:29:10 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2010-04-24 04:16:12   

[Blunderov] 5 stars to Friedman but only 4 to the producers of the video who chose to end with the caption " More Liberty, less government". Certainly it is a catchy slogan. And slogans do, by nature, tend to gloss over nuances. This one however is a fallacious equivocation. Not all government is bad, indeed more of it is required in respect of, for instance, the banking practices/fraud which has almost brought the world economy to its knees and which are a good example of decisions being made which lead to the harm of innocent bystanders. Perfectly legitimate for government to intervene here IMV. Do we see a " War Against Financial Malpractices" being waged tooth and nail in the boardrooms of America. Strangely, no. Why not, I wonder?

I'm guessing your final question was rhetorical but ... I think we're not seeing a War Against Financial Malpractices because people in power rarely wage war against their own benefactors.

The causes of the recent financial meltdown were complex and I'm skeptical of any simple explanations such as "wall street greed". If you look at the system you'll find that gov't policy was almost certainly a factor. Maybe more govt oversight would help prevent this sort of failure in the future but maybe there are other solutions.
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-24 20:52:45 »

Quote:
[Lucifer] <snip>Maybe more govt oversight would help prevent this sort of failure in the future but maybe there are other solutions.

[Fritz]I hope there is another solution otherwise we are doomed .... 10 years in Ottawa left me without hope in the existing system

The House Oversight Committe

The House Oversight Committee is determined to root out waste, fraud and abuse throughout the federal government.

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: