logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 23:53:21 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Would You Spend $3.7 Million On A Condition Curable With A Single Innoculation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Would You Spend $3.7 Million On A Condition Curable With A Single Innoculation?  (Read 3078 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Would You Spend $3.7 Million On A Condition Curable With A Single Innoculatio
« Reply #15 on: 2009-01-29 17:09:55 »

just an update on the leading lady of this thread:

Mo: My only question, as before, is what counts for virginity? (an intact hymen?) and how can we actually test to guarantee a case of virginity?  In any case, if this woman is able to relieve some idiot of his excessive cash, my hat is off to her. Congrats to her on noticing market inefficiencies and cashing in on her attention. She may have a bright future as a professional economist.

Why I'm Selling My Virginity
By Natalie Dylan, The Daily Beast. Posted January 27, 2009.

"The idealization of virginity is a tool to keep women in their place. So what's to stop me from profiting?"

When I put my virginity up for auction in September, it was in part a sociological experiment -- I wanted to study the public's response. Now it seems that the tables have turned, and the public is studying me.

I'm a 22-year-old woman who recently earned her Bachelor's Degree in Women's Studies, and soon I'll be entering a Masters Degree program in Marriage and Family Therapy. During the time in between, in addition to my regular 9-to-5, I've been exploring my upcoming thesis project: the value of virginity. To be more specific, I've put my own virginity up for auction on the Moonlight Bunny Ranch website, and I recently received my highest bid so far: a cool $3.8 million.

In addition to bids, however, I've also received an astonishing, sometimes unnerving, amount of media attention. Many of these reports have portrayed me inaccurately, however, so let me tell you what this is all about.

This all started long before September. In fact, it started in college, where my eyes were opened by my Women's Studies professors and fellow classmates. I came to understand the role of "woman" spanning culture and time. At the university level, I was given permission to think differently and form a moral code of my own design. College opened my eyes.

Like most little girls, I was raised to believe that virginity is a sacred gift a woman should reserve for just the right man. But college taught me that this concept is just a tool to keep the status quo intact. Deflowering is historically oppressive -- early European marriages began with a dowry, in which a father would sell his virginal daughter to the man whose family could offer the most agricultural wealth. Dads were basically their daughters' pimps.

When I learned this, it became apparent to me that idealized virginity is just a tool to keep women in their place. But then I realized something else: if virginity is considered that valuable, what's to stop me from benefiting from that? It is mine, after all. And the value of my chastity is one level on which men cannot compete with me. I decided to flip the equation, and turn my virginity into something that allows me to gain power and opportunity from men. I took the ancient notion that a woman's virginity is priceless and used it as a vehicle for capitalism.

Are you rolling your eyes? I knew this experiment would bring me condemnation. But I'm not saying every forward-thinking person has to agree with what I'm doing. You should develop your own personal belief system -- that's exactly my point! For me, valuing virginity as sacred is simply not a concept I could embrace. But valuing virginity monetarily -- now that's a concept I could definitely get behind. I no longer view the selling of sex as wrong or immoral -- my time at college showed me that I had too blindly accepted such arbitrary norms. And for what it's worth, the winning bid won't necessarily be the highest -- I get to choose.

So, with this value system firmly in place, I contacted the organization I felt could best provide me a safe and legal means through which to execute my idea: The Moonlite Bunny Ranch in Reno, Nevada.

I have been to the Moonlite Bunny Ranch twice to meet with its larger-than-life owner, Dennis Hof. I would describe the environment as a comical hybrid of a sorority house crossed with a laid-back gentlemen's club.

The Ranch not only provided me with the publicity to reach bidders through a personal email address on their website, but also as a way to capture a big enough "sample" of the public so I could research their reactions.

Some of these reactions have been surprising. As expected, many people value virginity itself -- people who think it's important to save, and men who think it's valuable enough to buy. But I've discovered that others value the lucrative nature of my experiment even more. I've been congratulated for my "entrepreneurial gumption," as one CEO of a Fortune 500 company put it.

I might even be an early adopter of a future trend, if the ads that clutter Craigslist are any indication of the direction we're headed in. These days, more and more women my age are profiting directly from their sex appeal, but I'm not sure other women should follow my lead. One conclusion my experiment has already borne out is that society isn't ready for public auctions like mine -- yet.

http://www.alternet.org/sex/123185/

« Last Edit: 2009-01-29 17:20:46 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Would You Spend $3.7 Million On A Condition Curable With A Single Innoculatio
« Reply #16 on: 2009-01-29 21:57:16 »

[i][Fritz]So this an depth flawless study and would leave me to think that this thread would lead to increased teenage pregnancy, but being about Virginity that opposite should be the case .... So if only we could use this to confirm Marshall McLuhan right or wrong, is the "the medium is the message" ?

Source: bloomberg
Author: Nicole Ostrow
Date: Nov. 3, 2008

Sex on TV Linked to Teen Pregnancy in Survey of U.S. Teenagers

Nov. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Watching television shows such as ``Gossip Girl'' or ``Desperate Housewives'' that feature sexual content may put U.S. teens at an increased risk of becoming pregnant, a study found.

Boys and girls ages 12 to 17 years old who watched the most sexual content on TV were twice as likely to be involved in a pregnancy as those who watched the least sexually suggestive shows, according to research in the November issue of the journal Pediatrics.

The study is the first to find a link between exposure to sexual content on television and teen pregnancies, according to the researchers. Almost 1 million 15- to 19-year-old females become pregnant each year in the U.S. Based on these findings, the television industry needs to balance sexual content in programs with messages about the risks and responsibilities of sex, said study author Anita Chandra.

In these TV programs, ``no one is talking about the negative consequences of sex or contraceptive use,'' said Chandra, a behavioral scientist at Rand Corp., a nonprofit research company based in Santa Monica, California, in an Oct. 31 telephone interview. ``There are many factors that contribute to our high teen pregnancy rate. We're not saying it's the only predictor. It's one factor that should be examined and should be part of the discussion with teens.''

The researchers said parents should consider limiting their kids' access to TV shows with sexual content and spend time watching the programs so they can talk about the consequences of sex.

Staying Vigilant

Cathy Zwilling, a mother of three in Franklin Square, New York, said parents must stay involved in their children's television choices.

``It's something you have to be very vigilant about. You can't just assume that just because they're watching a show that it's OK,'' said Zwilling, who has sons ages 14 and 12 and a 10- year-old daughter. ``You really have to watch with them.''

Some parents and teenagers said it's not realistic to expect parents to constantly police the TV.

Suzie Gagliardi of Holmdel, New Jersey, said she doesn't tell her 17-year-old daughter, Kristin, what to watch.

``If I walk by the TV and see something I don't like, I complain loudly,'' she said. ``I let her hear my displeasure. I don't force her to change the channel. I think it's a part of growing up to hear what parents think.''

Teen's Picks

Emily Chu, a 13-year-old resident of Malverne, New York, a community about 17 miles (27 kilometers) east of New York City, said among the programs she watches are MTV's reality show Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Island, and the new version of ``90210.'' The teenager said her parents know about the content of the programs though they don't watch with her.

Researchers asked 2,000 12- to 17-year-old about their television viewing habits and sexual behavior in 2001. The same teens were interviewed in 2002 and 2004.

The study released today was based on about 700 teens who reported having sex by 2004. Their average age in 2004 was 18.

The authors looked at 23 shows popular with teenagers in 2001 on broadcast and cable channels and analyzed their depictions of sex as well as discussions of sex. Those shows included reality programs, animated shows, dramas and comedies.

Sexual Content

About 70 percent to 80 percent of programming in 2001 had some sexual content, Chandra said. That amount is higher today, she said.

``The more content they were exposed to, the greater their risk of pregnancy,'' she said. ``We saw the risk increase even for kids who watch a moderate amount of sexual content.''

The researchers said teens who watched more television with sexual content were more likely to initiate sex earlier and more likely to have looser attitudes about contraceptive use than their peers.

Dennis Wharton, a spokesman for the National Association of Broadcasters based in Washington, said the group encourages parents to use ``the V-chip and other program blocking technologies that would screen out shows that are inappropriate for children.''

``We would also point out that broadcast television is generally far less explicit than programming found on cable, satellite and on the Internet,'' Wharton said in an e-mail.

Zwilling said even watching sports on TV, as her family does together, can be a challenge.

``If the show itself is appropriate, the commercials that go with the show aren't appropriate,'' she said. ``It becomes sort of a land mine in terms of choosing what you watch and when you watch it.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Nicole Ostrow in New York at nostrow1@bloomberg.net.
Last Updated: November 3, 2008 07:00 EST
Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2009-05-21 01:40:00 »

Virginity is Less Valued (or at least less expensive) in Europe

Source: The Sun
Authors: Not Credited (Staff Reporter)
Dated: 2009-05-20
Authors: Not Credited
Dated: 2009-05-20
Authors: Vince Soodin
Dated: 2009-05-13
A TEEN student selling her virginity on the net saw bidding end at £10,050 last night.

The online hammer price came in nearly £40,000 short of Romanian brunette Alina Percea's target to raise funds for her college studies in Stuttgart, Germany.

Bids wobbled after a former teacher raised doubts that she could still be a virgin. But the auction recovered after Alina produced a doctor's report confirming she had never had sex.

Alina said she may even marry her first lover if they fall for each other.

She said: "I want the first time I have sex to be special so I wouldn’t want it to be a quickie.

"The man who proves the most generous might get to stay with me for a full weekend but he has to pay for everything if we travel and stay in a hotel," she added.

The lucky winner has not been told yet whether Alina will accept his bid.

A GIRL of 18 who auctioned her virginity on the internet has had sex with the 45-year-old winner.

Pretty Alina Percea spent the night with the Italian businessman after the mystery stranger bid £8,782 and flew her to a Venice hotel.

Alina — who said she needed the cash to study computing at university — revealed: “He seemed much younger. He was very funny and charming. He didn’t have a beer belly.

“We got on very well. He didn’t say if he was married or had a family, and I didn’t ask him.”

Alina, who underwent two medical examinations to prove she was a virgin, admitted: “I felt a bit nervous.” But she said of her first sexual experience: “I liked it.”

The petite Romanian added: “I hoped I'd meet a nice man, like in the film Pretty Woman.

“At the arrivals lounge, a man came over, smiled, handed me a box of chocolates and said: ‘Welcome to Venice’.

“He looked much younger than 45, short, but nicely dressed, with dark hair, green eyes and a kind smile.”

The two went sightseeing then to a plush five-star hotel where they had unprotected sex, Alina told Closer magazine.

She said: “We kissed, then undressed each other. I'd never done that before, so I was nervous.

“He laid me on the bed and started kissing my body, then we had sex.

“I was attracted to him, so I enjoyed it.”

The teenager from Caracal insisted: “It’s not like prostitution because it was a one-off — and I did this for good reasons.”

A PRETTY teenager who auctioned off her virginity has told of the night she bedded the winning bidder.

Hard-up Alina Percea, 18, launched the extraordinary online sale to pay for her computing degree.

An Italian businessman then laid out £8,800 to win the online auction.

Alina today revealed intimate details of the night in the romantic Italian city Venice.

The petite Romanian said: “I hoped I'd meet a nice man, like in the film Pretty Woman.

“At the arrivals lounge, a man came over, smiled, handed me a box of chocolates and said: ‘Welcome to Venice’.

“He looked much younger than 45, short, but nicely dressed, with dark hair, green eyes and a kind smile.”

The two went sightseeing then to a plush five-star hotel where they had unprotected sex, Alina told Closer magazine.

She said: “We kissed, then undressed each other. I'd never done that before, so I was nervous.

“He laid me on the bed and started kissing my body, then we had sex.

“I was attracted to him, so I enjoyed it.”

Alina hoped to raise £50,000 in the auction which lasted two weeks.

But she says she still plans to go to university.
 AlinaPercea.jpg
« Last Edit: 2009-05-21 01:40:29 by Hermit »

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #18 on: 2009-05-22 06:28:55 »

[letheomaniac] The tax-man has the last laugh as usual...

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk
Author: Allan Hall
Dated: 22/5/2009

Teen who auctioned her virginity for £8,000 may lose half... because prostitutes in Germany are taxed at 50% of earnings

Tax authorities in Germany are poised to claim 50 per cent of the money that a teenage student earned for 'auctioning' her virginity because they claim it was 'tantamount to prostitution'.
Romanian-born Alina Percea, who is a student in Germany, was paid £8,800 in cash for a weekend of sex with the Italian businessman after she auctioned her virginity online.

But tax officials in Berlin regard the 18-year-old's act as 'nothing more than prostitution'.
Prostitution is legal in Germany - but it is heavily taxed.
'It is not a moral standpoint but a fiscal one,' an official said. 'Prostitution is not an illegal act in Germany, but not paying tax on earned money is.
'Consequently we are assessing her case and it looks likely she will have to pay around half of the sum she gained.'
The Romanian-born computer studies student's visa allows her to work in Germany for 90 days - even as a prostitute.

One tax expert said: 'Even if she was taxed as a purveyor of erotic moments, or whatever she wants to call what she did, she would have to pay tax on it.  Prostitution is merely a means for the bureaucrats to pin her down for a claim.
'She would have been better off keeping quiet about this strange transaction.'
It also emerged that, because Alina earned so much in such a short time, she may even be liable for a hefty VAT bill too. 

VAT in Germany works out to 19 per cent, meaning the sale of her virginity could land her with just over £3,000 in the end.
'When we have hard figures then we can make an accurate assessment,' said a German inland revenue spokesman.
Alina, who studies in Mannheim, told how a 45-year-old Italian businessman took her virginity with unprotected sex at a luxury Venetian hotel.
'I liked the man and got on with him

'We spoke in English as I can't speak Italian and he can't speak Romanian.
He paid me a lot of compliments throughout the day, and he was very funny and charming. We got on very well, and I was pleased he'd won,' said Alina.
'We kissed, then undressed each other. I'd never done that before, so I was nervous. He laid me on the bed and started kissing my body, then we had sex. I was attracted to him, so I enjoyed it, even though it was quite painful.
'We only had sex once, then fell asleep. Next morning, we had breakfast together like any other couple, and I took the morning-after pill. He told me he'd like to see me again, and I agreed.
'I hope to see the man again - and next time I won't make him pay,' she added. [letheomaniac] From part-time prostitute to full-time slapper in one easy step...

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2009-05-25 11:26:15 »

Yeah she won't make him pay cash for sex THIS time, but no doubt he will paying too much money for dinner, gifts, etc. which are effective exchange for sex. She's obviously found a sucker, and she will be leeching on him for everything its worth in some way or another. Stay tuned.

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-05-26 01:15:37 »

clearly you are jealous.

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2009-05-25 11:26:15   

Yeah she won't make him pay cash for sex THIS time, but no doubt he will paying too much money for dinner, gifts, etc. which are effective exchange for sex. She's obviously found a sucker, and she will be leeching on him for everything its worth in some way or another. Stay tuned.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2009-05-26 03:04:04 »

Quote from: Mermaid on 2009-05-26 01:15:37   
clearly you are jealous.

Obviously I'm clearer than you, but that clearly means little in this context.

Exactly whom am I jealous of in this case? I just wanted to check with you before we wandered off in completely different and insane directions.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-26 03:44:41 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #22 on: 2009-05-26 04:40:17 »

Mo:
Quote:
...no doubt he will paying too much money for dinner, gifts, etc. which are effective exchange for sex. She's obviously found a sucker, and she will be leeching on him for everything its worth in some way or another. Stay tuned.
[letheomaniac] Why this girl didn't go the sugar-daddy route in the first place is utterly beyond me. It gets me thinking that the education she is ostensibly purchasing with the money she has raised might be better spent elsewhere...

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2009-05-26 09:39:05 »

lethomaniac,

Good point. Now that she's on the market, she shouldn't waste her presence on the college crowd, because they generally don't have solid wealth yet. If she goes the sugar daddy route, she'll get to socialize in wealthier crowds sooner, and THEN get her education once she's covered her other expenses. As long as she reads a nonfiction book now and then (not just trashy romances), she should be able to cover her educational needs for her social purposes and save her real education expenses for a riper day.

-Mo

Mo Enzyme

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009-05-28 18:30:24 »

of the girl, of course. can you recall the last time you were offered gifts and dinner for sex?

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2009-05-26 03:04:04   

Quote from: Mermaid on 2009-05-26 01:15:37   

clearly you are jealous.

Obviously I'm clearer than you, but that clearly means little in this context.

Exactly whom am I jealous of in this case? I just wanted to check with you before we wandered off in completely different and insane directions.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 2009-05-28 19:25:11 »

Quote from: Mermaid on 2009-05-28 18:30:24   
of the girl, of course. can you recall the last time you were offered gifts and dinner for sex?

:::Mo giggles uncontrollably for a few minutes and then looks relieved:::

Yes! True. If I'm jealous of anyone, its her. But its just a momentary thing of course. . . . Sometimes I feel momentarily jealous of my parent's pet cat too. Not that it makes any sense of course, but he does seem to get an awful lot of attention just for being furry and cute. Of course I always end up succumbing too and give him lovies as well, so I guess its more love than hate.

« Last Edit: 2009-05-28 19:27:47 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009-05-28 19:53:30 »

you could grow a pair of breasts...

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2009-05-28 19:25:11   

Quote from: Mermaid on 2009-05-28 18:30:24   

:::Mo giggles uncontrollably for a few minutes and then looks relieved:::

Yes! True. If I'm jealous of anyone, its her. But its just a momentary thing of course. . . . Sometimes I feel momentarily jealous of my parent's pet cat too. Not that it makes any sense of course, but he does seem to get an awful lot of attention just for being furry and cute. Of course I always end up succumbing too and give him lovies as well, so I guess its more love than hate.

:)

Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: