logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-29 05:57:28 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Torture Royalties
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Torture Royalties  (Read 625 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Torture Royalties
« on: 2008-07-17 02:54:45 »

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/torture-royalties/

July 16, 2008,  1:08 pm
Torture Royalties
By Freakonomics

We’ve tackled the future of music distribution and we’ve taken on the War on Terror. But what happens when the two intersect?

Apparently, guards at Guantanamo Bay have been playing David Gray’s “Babylon” at all hours of the day and night, to distress detainees and soften them up for interrogation. Since this arguably constitutes a public performance of Gray’s song by the U.S. military, the government technically may owe royalties to Gray for the use of his track.

Will the military pay up or stop using the music?

It seems unlikely that ASCAP or BMI will try to collect the royalties due to them from governments that use music as a weapon: after all, nobody seemed to mind when officials in a suburb of Sydney, Australia started blasting Barry Manilow songs as a means of chasing hooligans from a public park there.

12 comments so far...
1.July 16th,
1:19 pm … or when Marines blasted AC/DC’s* “Hell’s Bells” in Fallujah in 1994 or when the FBI blasted the the Branch Davidian compound in 1993 or when the Army blasted Manuel Noriega in 1989.

— Posted by Tom A. Kosakowski...

*[Bl.] I'm inclined to doubt the efficacy of this tactic. Angus Young is a guitar hero beserker genius. Most likely the army would simply be requested to turn up the volume. That's what I'd do anyway. "Shoot to Thrill". Aah. I can feel it working now.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: