logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-04 12:09:19 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Eternal embrace unearthed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Eternal embrace unearthed  (Read 981 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Eternal embrace unearthed
« on: 2007-02-08 01:40:06 »

[Blunderov] "For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

Toronto Star link:
Feb 07, 2007 11:33 AM
Ariel David
Associated Press
ROME — They died young and, by the looks of it, in love.
Two 5,000-year-old skeletons found locked in an embrace near the city where Shakespeare set the star-crossed tale “Romeo and Juliet” have sparked theories the remains of a far more ancient love story have been found.

Archeologists unearthed the skeletons dating back to the late Neolithic period outside Mantua, 40 kilometres south of Verona, the city of Shakespeare’s story of doomed love.

Buried between 5,000 and 6,000 years ago, the prehistoric pair are believed to have been a man and a woman and are thought to have died young, because their teeth were found intact, said Elena Menotti, the archeologist who led the dig.

“As far as we know, it’s unique,” Menotti told The Associated Press by telephone from Milan. “Double burials from the Neolithic are unheard of, and these are even hugging.”

Archeologists digging in the region have found some 30 burial sites, all single, as well as the remains of prosperous villages filled with artifacts made of flint, pottery and animal horns.

Although the Mantua pair strike an unusual and touching pose, archeologists have found other prehistoric burials in which the dead hold hands or have other contact, said Luca Bondioli, an anthropologist at Rome’s National Prehistoric and Ethnographic Museum.

Bondioli, who was not involved in the Mantua dig, said the find has “more of an emotional than a scientific value.” But it does highlight how the relationship people have with each other and with death has not changed much from the period in which humanity first settled in villages, learning to farm the land and tame animals, he said.

“The Neolithic is a very formative period for our society,” he said. “It was when the roots of our religious sentiment were formed.”

Menotti said the burial was “a ritual, but we have to find out what it means.”

Experts might never determine the exact nature of the pair’s relationship, but Menotti said she had little doubt it was born of a deep sentiment.

“It was a very emotional discovery,” she said. “From thousands of years ago we feel the strength of this love. Yes, we must call it love.”

The couple’s burial site was located Monday during construction work for a factory in the outskirts of Mantua. Alongside the couple, archeologists found flint tools, including arrowheads and a knife, Menotti said.

Experts will now study the artifacts and the skeletons to determine the burial site’s age and how old the two were when they died, she said. The finds will then go on display at Mantua’s Archeological Museum.

Establishing the cause of death could prove almost impossible, unless they were killed by a debilitating disease, a knife or something else that might have left marks on the bones, Menotti said.

The two bodies, which cuddle closely while facing each other on their sides, were probably buried at the same time, an indication of a possible sudden and tragic death, Bondioli said.

He said DNA testing could determine whether the two were related, “but that still leaves other hypotheses; the Romeo and Juliet possibility is just one of many.”

[Bl.] PS. Updated post with img link at last. Apologies for my recent lack of participation; I'm currently languishing with only a dial-up connection while I wait for my ADSL connection to get hooked up.

« Last Edit: 2007-02-08 14:52:52 by Blunderov » Report to moderator   Logged
DJ dAndroid
Adept

Rate DJ dAndroid

Ballet Mechanique

View Profile WWW
Re:Eternal embrace unearthed
« Reply #1 on: 2007-02-12 03:44:57 »

It's interesting how this story has fascinated people. I've seen it in a few different places now including spread via people's blogs (including my own). It has appeared on TV as well.

I saw it here first however so thank-you for posting it. I'm rather  (and perhaps even oddly) cynical on romance and such these days, but this is... moving somehow; it's interesting to think of and wonder just who they were and what exactly happened 6000 years ago.
Report to moderator   Logged

Shouldn't robots have the same right as humans to have gender and express their sexuality?
_Clayton Bailey_
http://www.claytonbailey.com/monrobot.htm
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Eternal embrace unearthed
« Reply #2 on: 2007-02-12 07:34:23 »

Quote from: DJ_dAndroid on 2007-02-12 03:44:57   
... it's interesting to think of and wonder just who they were and what exactly happened 6000 years ago.

[Blunderov] Indeed. It must have seemed to the people of the time that it was fittin' that the couple be buried together. Whether this was for aesthetic/symbolic reasons or whether it was believed that the couple would therefore actually be together in an afterlife of some sort we cannot know.

It seems (to me) just remotely possible that the Romeo and Juliet meme might well have emanated from this very incident! According to my trusty Britannica:

"Shakespeare's principle source for the plot was "The Tragicall Historye of Romeus and Juliet (1562) a long narrative poem by the English poet Arthur Broke (d1563). Broke had based his poem on a French translation of a tale by the Italian Matteo Bandello (1485 -1561)"

Is it too much to speculate that something like the original tale may have been passed down orally from generation to generation until it was written down by Bandello?

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: