logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-05 12:44:20 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Bot Scouts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Bot Scouts  (Read 1719 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Bot Scouts
« on: 2006-10-21 09:41:46 »

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Scouts_Piracy_Patch.html

Be loyal, kind and don't steal Movies
LOS ANGELES -- A Boy Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, etc., etc. He is also respectful of copyrights. Boy Scouts in the Los Angeles area will now be able to earn an activity patch for learning about the evils of downloading pirated movies and music.

The patch shows a film reel, a music CD and the international copyright symbol, a "C" enclosed in a circle.

[Blunderov] Lets see if we can think of some other wholesome Bot Scout badges why don't we?

"Narking."

"Mexican Border Surveillance Camp."

"Handicapped Parking Wheelclamping."

"Abortion Clinic Car Registration Collection."

"Waterboarding"

"Creationism"

"Swiftboating"

"Undesirable Social Elements"

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Bot Scouts
« Reply #1 on: 2006-10-21 11:40:10 »

"Examples of bigotry"? Victims of adults who sell children on "fun" and then use the opportunity to brainwash them and teach them UTism? The closest that a modern child can get to the Hitlerjugend, without attending a military academy; from the religion and the heavily decorated uniforms, all the way to the cold showers and group chanting, but without the neat bayonets? A way for closet homosexuals to get their jollies in a socially acceptable setting (i.e. no wonder the movement in the US is rabidly homophobic, just look at who is involved with them, Catholic Priests, Republican Politicians and members of the NRA).

I do think that this might (as usual) be somewhat worse in America than in most of the rest of the world, where, while all the Boy Scouts began on a solid base of good old Christian Anglo-Saxon bigotry (Baden Powell was inspired to start the scouting movement through watching the "brave resistance" to the "evil Boers" in what is now Mafikeng. Like the Americans, the Victorian English suffered the drawback of believing their own propaganda), they have had an opportunity for the virulence to work its way out. In America the trend is undoubtedly in the other direction. Scouting is quite possibly the last great refuge, even worse than the American school system, for teaching high-Victorian patriotism, chauvinism, bigotry and jingoism.

I have a feeling that I've heard that the girl guide movement doesn't suffer from this problem to anywhere near the same extent, and certainly the USSR "pioneer" groups (which are mixed) while a little more "patriotic" than I'd recommend (but a lot less so than the BS USA), stayed clear of religion and do not seem to fuss about hue or sexual proclivity while engaging in a lot more socially beneficial activities.

Which brings me to a last suggested purpose, "bait."

Kind Regards

Hermit

PS To be totally fair, I think that like religions, the "boy scouts" and other "scouting groups" simply reflect the society in which they occur. Enlisting children as narcs is not restricted to scouting. I know that kids here are taught at school to turn their peers, their siblings, their parents, other family members and friends in, so that they can "be helped" (goodbye family). My observation is that this is part and parcel of this really messed up society where normal evolutionary behaviour has been subverted to the max, leading to a complete failure of tolerance and the utter inability to compromise to the great detriment of everyone living here. The scouts just start earlier and engage in bigotry a little more intensely than the rest.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2006-10-21 13:02:11 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2006-10-21 11:40:10   
<snip> A way for closet homosexuals to get their jollies in a socially acceptable setting (i.e. no wonder the movement in the US is rabidly homophobic, just look at who is involved with them, Catholic Priests, Republican Politicians and members of the NRA)...
Which brings me to a last suggested purpose, "bait." </snip>

[Blunderov] "Baiting and Switching"? An essential skill for any self respecting indoorsman.

Best regards.

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=76108
Subject: Lyr Add: FUNNY HE NEVER MARRIED (Marty Feldman)
Date: 08 Aug 05 - 12:48 PM

Ok, this is a bit of an epic and if anyone reads this who can't picture Marty Feldman putting on his 'old man' voice, it probably, won't make sense. To set the scene, two old boys are reminiscing after a friend's funeral. Voice 1 is Tim Brooke Taylor, Voice 2 in Marty Feldman. I've missed out a lot of the thoughtful 'yes-es and no-s' as they run over speech and are by and large atmospheric.

1. It was a good funeral ...
2. Yes, we give him a good send off ...
1. Yes ...
2. No man could want more ...
1. No, no ...
2. He was a good man, George. We won't see his like again.
1. Salt of the earth, was George. Yes he was ...
(pause)
2. Funny he never married.
1. Yes. ... who?
2. George.
1. Ah yes ...
2. I mean, it's not that he never had his chances
(chortling)
2. Oh, when he was young ... a man like that ... could have had any he'd chosen. Good looking enough.
1. Yes, yes he was ... almost too good looking.
2. Almost too good looking. Them big blue eyes. Them dimples ... yes, and that school girl complexion of his ... could have had any girl he chose.
1. ...any girl he chose
2. ... man like that. Funny he never married.
1. Yes, funny that.
2. Still, still ... he had his compensations.
1. Yes I suppose he did.
2. Other interests. Scouting ...
1. He was very keen on scouting, wasn't he.
2. ... scouting. Even in his later years, he'd only have to see a troop of scouts go by and his eyes would light up.
1. Nostalgia ... I suppose.
2. I suppose, yes ...
(pause)
2. Funny he never married.
1. Yes, funny that, yes.
2. He was a funny chap in many ways, when you think about it.
1. He was quite, yes ...
2. The way he walked.
1. Ah yes ...
2. That was funny.
1. With his hips ...
2. And his voice ...
1. High pitched sort of voice.
2. Oh, almost to the point of falsetto, yes ... Oh that was funny, yes. He was funny, yes ... But kind, kind ...
1. Oh, he was very kind, yes.
2. Kind, kind, kind ... Almost too kind. He let his-self be taken advantage of ... I never knew him turn a stranger away from his door. There was always a bed in his house for any waif or stray ...
1. Yes, yes ...
2. Or soldier ...
1. Yes ...
2. Or sailor.
1. Especially sailors.
2. He liked sailors.
1. Never, never knew him turn a sailor away.
2. Never a sailor, no. Quite often they didn't even have to come to him.
1. Yes ...
2. No, he'd go out looking for them, he would. Never spared himself
1. No, no ...
2. Funny he never married. Man like that.
1. He'd have made a good husband.
2. Oh he would, oh, oh ...
1. A very good husband ...
2. A very good husband, there's no gainsaying that. He could cook...
1. He could sew ...
2. He could knit ...
1. Yes, yes ... He could arrange flowers.
2. Oh, oh his house, his house ... It was like a new pin ...
1. Like a shiny new pin.
2. New pin, new pin ...
1. Yes, yes it was ...
(pause)
2. Funny he never married. He was a happy man.
1. Yes, yes he was.
2. He was a happy man.
1. He was, he was ...
2. Yes, Yes. Never happier than when he was dressing up.
1. Theatrical streak, I suppose.
2. I suppose ...
1. Yes ...
2. How he loved that mother of pearl handbag.
1. Almost broke his heart, it did, when he left it on the bus.
2. He loved dressing up, yes.
1. Yes ...
2. All in all it's, er ... funny he never married.
1. Funny - You never married.
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006-10-21 15:15:41 »

Very nice. "Funny he never married". Very nice. "Funny he never married." Indeed. At the end of the day, even granting that Galatea was perfect, Pygmalion quite probably would have still prefered boys.

I not only had a longer bit about the NRA and their sometime sublimation of that "love that dare not speak its name" into perpetrating violence on small fluffy creatures, in my original response, but also very nearly included this in the original reply.

When {Leo}* your date of birth marks,
At forty a change in life starts,
And an interest in stamps,
In boyscouts, and camps;
And fondling nude statues, in parks.

They were cut for reons of clarity and brevity. On second thoughts, brevity and the avoidance of "the new small talk"** is not as valuable as amusement.

Kind Regards

Hermit

* target the appropriate "starsign" depending on audience to achieve desired effect.

** Refer My Fair Lady (The film version)

Mrs Eynsford-Hill: I do hope we won't have any unseasonable cold spells. They bring on so much influenza. And the whole of our family is susceptible to it.

Eliza Doolittle: My aunt died of influenza, so they said. But it's my belief they done the old woman in.

Mrs Eynsford-Hill: Done her in?

Eliza Doolittle: Yes, Lord love you. Why should she die of influenza... When she'd come through diphtheria right enough the year before. Fairly blue with it she was. They all thought she was dead. But my father, he kept ladling gin down her throat. Then she come to so sudden she bit the bowl off the spoon.

Mrs Eynsford-Hill: Dear me!

Eliza Doolittle: Now what call would a woman with that strength in her... have to die of influenza? 

Eliza Doolittle: And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me? Somebody pinched it. And what I say is: Them 'as pinched it, done her in.

Mrs Eynsford-Hill: Done her in? '"Done her in,'" did you say? Whatever does it mean?

Freddie Eynsford-Hill: That's the new small talk. '"To do somebody in'" means to kill them.

Mrs Eynsford-Hill: But you surely don't believe your aunt was killed?

Eliza Doolittle: Do I not? Them she lived with would have killed her for a hatpin, let alone a hat.

Mrs Eynsford-Hill: But it can't have been right for your father... to pour spirits down her throat like that. It might have killed her.

Eliza Doolittle: Not her. Gin was mother's milk to her. Besides, he poured so much down his own throat he knew the good of it.

Mrs Eynsford-Hill: Do you mean that he drank?

Eliza Doolittle: Drank? My word. Something chronic. Here, what are you sniggering at?

Freddie Eynsford-Hill: The new small talk. You do it so awfully well.

Eliza Doolittle: Well, if I was doing it proper, what was you sniggering at? Have I said anything I oughtn't?

Mrs Eynsford-Hill: Not at all, my dear.

Eliza Doolittle: Well, that's a mercy anyhow.
« Last Edit: 2006-10-22 06:56:04 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: