logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-28 19:24:08 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2004

virus: Smear Factor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: virus: Smear Factor  (Read 563 times)
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
virus: Smear Factor
« on: 2004-07-17 14:16:26 »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1618816,00.asp
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

Report to moderator   Logged

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
Bill Mackinnon
Neophyte

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile
Re: virus: Smear Factor
« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-17 14:31:12 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

hkhenson@rogers...
Adept

Rate hkhenson@rogers...

back after a long time
hkhenson2
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-17 19:25:39 »

At 02:31 PM 17/07/04 -0400, you wrote:

>Has lying about the enemy competitor ever worked before?
>
>Bill

1)  Is this a standard thing humans do?

2)  If so, the tendency to do so much have either been directly selected or
a side effect of something that was selected.

3)  If directly selected it must have worked more often than it failed,
further, the trait to do so must have provided a reproductive advantage to
those who did it.

4)  Lying about competitors might *not* be particularly effective in the
modern world, but keep in mind our psychological traits were selected in
the Stone Age.

Keith Henson

---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:virus: Smear Factor
« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-17 23:25:45 »

[Bill Mackinnon]
Has lying about the enemy competitor ever worked before.

[Keith Henson]
1) Is this a standard thing humans do?

[rhinoceros]
Good question. It is always a good idea to establish the fact before getting at an evolutionary argument. I think that lying about the enemy competitor is a standard thing some people do and a standard thing some people don't.

In business, it is often a matter of evaluating the benefits and the drawbacks, a matter of inference -- rather than an impulsive behavior or a "quick calculation". It can be effective, but it brings up an image of a small-time crook with little confidence in whatever he peddles. Microsoft does it more often than IBM, for example.

At the personal level, both folk wisdom and traditional psychological profiling assign a low self-esteem to those who belittle others in order to gain status. We have popular sayings such as "Lie has short legs" (i.e. it won't get you very far). It is an interesting question whether any of this has an evolutionary significance.

[Keith Henson]
2) If so, the tendency to do so much have either been directly selected or a side effect of something that was selected.

[rhinoceros]
So it seems. There must be some basic genetic traits triggered one way or the other, permanently or occasionally.

[Keith Henson]
3) If directly selected it must have worked more often than it failed, further, the trait to do so must have provided a reproductive advantage to those who did it.

[rhinoceros]
There is a line of reasoning saying that culture has been watering down our "wild" traits of seeking immediate personal benefit, therefore culture acts in a somehow counter-evolutionary way. However, humans have been social animals for a very long time. It is equally reasonable to say that the tribes which allowed their individuals to act "less than honorably" by belittling others performed sub-par and were selected out. In this line of reasoning, it is the deviant "smearer" who is acting in a counter-evolutionary way.

[Keith Henson]
4) Lying about competitors might *not* be particularly effective in the modern world, but keep in mind our psychological traits were selected in the Stone Age.

[rhinoceros]
Heh, I just claimed that it might be not always effective in the caves either -- just triggered under some circumstances.

LenKen
Adept

Rate LenKen

Mi caca es su caca.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-18 01:22:00 »

Señor Henson wrote: “Lying about competitors might *not* be particularly effective in the modern world, but keep in mind our psychological traits were selected in the Stone Age.”

It makes you wonder what kind of trash Cro Magnon man talked about Neanderthals:

“Hey, Ikmak, why does it always take two Neanderthal men to start a fire?”
    “Gee, I don’t know, Splanknik, but I have a funny feeling you’re gonna tell me.”
    “That’s the only way they know how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together.”
    “Oy.”
    “Hey, what did the Neanderthal boy say to his mother?”
    “I have no idea.  What?”
    “Not tonight, Mom, I have a headache.”
    Ikmak looks at his watch and then surreptitiously eyes the tent’s exit.
    “Oh, hey—before you go—I got one more,” continues Splanknik.  “Why do Neanderthals speak in crude grunts and gesticulations?”
    “Why?”
    “Because they’re German.”
    “Check, please.”

It’s hard for an atheist                 
with a god complex                     
to believe in himself.    —LenKen

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Vote for the stars of Yahoo!'s next ad campaign!

attached: index.html

One man’s frozen sperm is another man’s low-carb ice cream.  
simul
Adept

Rate simul

I am a lama.
simultaneous zoneediterik
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-18 13:55:41 »

I have a feeling that this is a memetic/cultural survival trait, not a genetic one.  Memetic survival often runs contrary to genetic.

-----Original Message-----
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:25:45
To:virus@lucifer.com
Subject: Re:virus: Smear Factor

[Bill Mackinnon]
Has lying about the enemy competitor ever worked before.

[Keith Henson]
1) Is this a standard thing humans do?

[rhinoceros]
Good question. It is always a good idea to establish the fact before getting at an evolutionary argument. I think that lying about the enemy competitor is a standard thing some people do and a standard thing some people don't.

In business, it is often a matter of evaluating the benefits and the drawbacks, a matter of inference -- rather than an impulsive behavior or a "quick calculation". It can be effective, but it brings up an image of a small-time crook with little confidence in whatever he peddles. Microsoft does it more often than IBM, for example.

At the personal level, both folk wisdom and traditional psychological profiling assign a low self-esteem to those who belittle others in order to gain status. We have popular sayings such as "Lie has short legs" (i.e. it won't get you very far). It is an interesting question whether any of this has an evolutionary significance.

[Keith Henson]
2) If so, the tendency to do so much have either been directly selected or a side effect of something that was selected.

[rhinoceros]
So it seems. There must be some basic genetic traits triggered one way or the other, permanently or occasionally.

[Keith Henson]
3) If directly selected it must have worked more often than it failed, further, the trait to do so must have provided a reproductive advantage to those who did it.

[rhinoceros]
There is a line of reasoning saying that culture has been watering down our "wild" traits of seeking immediate personal benefit, therefore culture acts in a somehow counter-evolutionary way. However, humans have been social animals for a very long time. It is equally reasonable to say that the tribes which allowed their individuals to act "less than honorably" by belittling others performed sub-par and were selected out. In this line of reasoning, it is the deviant "smearer" who is acting in a counter-evolutionary way.

[Keith Henson]
4) Lying about competitors might *not* be particularly effective in the modern world, but keep in mind our psychological traits were selected in the Stone Age.

[rhinoceros]
Heh, I just claimed that it might be not always effective in the caves either -- just triggered under some circumstances.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30635>
---

---

First, read Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", and then read http://electionmethods.org.
LenKen
Adept

Rate LenKen

Mi caca es su caca.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-18 15:13:40 »

I’m inclined to believe that this is an instance of meme-gene coevolution.  This kind of sniping is so widespread—usually on a smaller scale, e.g., gossip—that I’d be amazed if it weren’t largely innate.  But something else that’s largely innate is the desire to not get caught doing it—and some people are better at this than others.

Erik Aronesty <erik@zoneedit.com> wrote:
I have a feeling that this is a memetic/cultural survival trait, not a genetic one. Memetic survival often runs contrary to genetic.

It’s hard for an atheist                 
with a god complex                     

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?

attached: index.html

One man’s frozen sperm is another man’s low-carb ice cream.  
simul
Adept

Rate simul

I am a lama.
simultaneous zoneediterik
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-18 18:02:54 »

The trick is not to put down your competitors but to, instead, promote them among people who you know will dislike them.  Then you can quietly nurture the discontent.

Putting levels of intentionality between you and your target is far more effective in the long run.

-----Original Message-----
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:13:40
To:virus@lucifer.com
Subject: Re: virus: Smear Factor

I’m inclined to believe that this is an instance of meme-gene coevolution.  This kind of sniping is so widespread—usually on a smaller scale, e.g., gossip—that I’d be amazed if it weren’t largely innate.  But something else that’s largely innate is the desire to not get caught doing it—and some people are better at this than others.

Erik Aronesty <erik@zoneedit.com> wrote: I have a feeling that this is a memetic/cultural survival trait, not a genetic one. Memetic survival often runs contrary to genetic.

It’s hard for an atheist                 
with a god complex                     
        Do you Yahoo!?
---

First, read Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", and then read http://electionmethods.org.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: