logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 01:09:42 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Take me to your leader
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Take me to your leader  (Read 2420 times)
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
Take me to your leader
« on: 2010-09-28 11:58:07 »

[letheomaniac]The following may present something of a conundrum for the writers of Hollywood science fiction blockbusters...

Source: Telegraph
Author: Heidi Blake
Dated: 26/9/10

UN 'to appoint space ambassador to greet alien visitors'

A space ambassador could be appointed by the United Nations to act as the first point of contact for aliens trying to communicate with Earth.

Mazlan Othman, a Malaysian astrophysicist, is set to be tasked with co-ordinating humanity’s response if and when extraterrestrials make contact.

Aliens who landed on earth and asked: “Take me to your leader” would be directed to Mrs Othman.

She will set out the details of her proposed new role at a Royal Society conference in Buckinghamshire next week.

The 58-year-old is expected to tell delegates that the proposal has been prompted by the recent discovery of hundreds of planets orbiting other starts, which is thought to make the discovery of extraterrestrial life more probable than ever before.

Mrs Othman is currently head of the UN’s little known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa).

In a recent talk to fellow scientists, she said: “The continued search for extraterrestrial communication, by several entities, sustains the hope that some day human kind will received signals from extraterrestrials.

“When we do, we should have in place a coordinated response that takes into account all the sensitivities related to the subject. The UN is a ready-made mechanism for such coordination.”

Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law at the UK space agency who leads delegations to the UN, said: “Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a ‘take me to your leader’ person”.

The plan to make Unoosa the co-ordinating body for dealing with alien encounters will be debated by UN scientific advisory committees and should eventually reach the body’s general assembly.

Opinion is divided about how future extraterrestrial visitors should be greeted. Under the Outer Space Treaty on 1967, which Unoosa oversees, UN members agreed to protect Earth against contamination by alien species by “sterilising” them.

Mrs Othman is understood to support a more tolerant approach.

But Professor Stephen Hawking has warned that alien interlopers should be treated with caution.

He said: “I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. The outcome for us would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”
Report to moderator   Logged

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Take me to your leader
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-28 12:58:22 »

Quote from: letheomaniac on 2010-09-28 11:58:07   

[letheomaniac]The following may present something of a conundrum for the writers of Hollywood science fiction blockbusters...

Source: Telegraph
Author: Heidi Blake
Dated: 26/9/10

UN 'to appoint space ambassador to greet alien visitors'<snip>

<snip>But Professor Stephen Hawking has warned that alien interlopers should be treated with caution.

He said: “I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. The outcome for us would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

I suspect Hawking may be on to something; the other 'white meat' Humans, while getting a little toxic, might be farmed as a foods source for intrepid alien explorers. I am sure the conspiracy folk will be suggesting, that finally after all these years, we are being readied for the introduction of the aliens that have been among us for years. And Hollywood hmmmm .... Soylent Green.

I've always wondered if a real threat from outer space could actually get humans to work together for our survival ..... no .... that is Science Fiction.

Cheers

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-28 20:11:49 »

I sense a Meme resurfacing

Cheers

Fritz

Tinfoil Tuesdays: UFOs Neutered Nukes, Officers Claim

Source :Wired
Author :Spencer Ackerman
Date: 2010.09.28

In space, no one can smell the drifting interstellar cloud of patchouli oil or catch the cosmic hacky sack. It turns out to be a crucial human failing, if a group of retired Air Force officers is to be believed. The officers say they’ve encountered UFOs, and surmise that the space creatures are trying to tell an obstinate human race to abandon its nuclear weapons. That’s right: Earth is being monitored by intergalactic hippies.

Seven elderly retired Air Force officers called a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington on Monday afternoon — covered, improbably, by CNN — to disclose that they witnessed the UFOs rendering U.S. nuclear missiles temporarily inoperable during the Cold War.

“Whoever are aboard these craft are sending a signal to both Washington and Moscow, among others, that we are playing with fire,” announced longtime UFO researcher Robert Hastings, who convened the gathering. “The possession and threatened use of nuclear weapons potentially threatens the human race and the integrity of the planetary bargain.”

President Obama, however unpopular you’ve grown at home, there are beings off-world who approve of your no-nuke agenda. And they provide the perfect opportunity to introduce our new weekly feature, Tinfoil Tuesdays, a tour through the more, um, unusual corners of Danger Room’s already-freaky world.

Hastings didn’t serve in the military himself, but he worked with Robert Salas, a retired Air Force missile launch officer, to assemble a crew of former airmen whose stories shared a remarkable similarity. From 1963 to 1980, all were present at U.S. nuclear missile sites when the flashing lights of alien spacecraft — some disc-shaped, some conical, some spherical — appeared before them or their colleagues. (Hastings said he couldn’t rule out that alien contacts we haven’t heard about are ongoing to this day.) Some confessed that they didn’t see the ships themselves, but heard reliable accounts from trustworthy comrades. In most cases, though, when the aliens approached, the missiles stopped being responsive to technicians’ controls.

But the aliens didn’t actually zap the missiles. They just flew over the bases, worked their advanced-technological magic and disappeared into the night. “They could have done a lot more damage,” Salas told Danger Room when asked how he knew the alien counter-missile efforts didn’t portend a more hostile purpose, like a forthcoming attack.

Like most of the veterans recounting their close-encounter experiences, Bruce Fenstermacher, a ruddy, 68-year-old retired Air Force captain, didn’t actually want to be quite as definitive as Hastings and Salas were about the aliens’ policy preferences. “I think they’re monitoring us so that we don’t mess things up,” he said, expressing faith in the aliens as enlightened interplanetary guardians.

Hastings allowed that his theory was “speculative,” but “given the available facts, it is a viable scenario.”

Charles Halt, a retired colonel, didn’t know if he was going to be probed or abducted when he saw something that “looked like a large eye, red in color, moving through the trees” in an English forest near a Suffolk base called Bentwaters. But suddenly it “exploded” into “five white objects” that sped away into the night sky without harming him. (Halt has told his story many times before, and a transcript of what purports to be his contemporaneous audio recording of the incident is Googleable.)

Robert Jamison was a young lieutenant working as a Minuteman targeting officer on Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana in 1967. “My main job was to point the missiles in right direction,” he joked. But one night in March, all ten of his missiles, known as a flight, suddenly went off alert status — right as rumors of a UFO visit circulated through Malmstrom. While he never himself saw any aliens, he heard about a UFO landing in a “deep ravine” nearby and interviewed a security guard who described “two small red lights off at a distance” that began to close in; the guard broke down and cried at the recollection. Jamison believes the encounter was an incident that’s come to be known as the Belt, Montana UFO sighting.

If an entire flight of nuclear missiles really did go offline, it certainly “would be panic-inducing,” says a former Air Force missile officer who works as a foreign-policy wonk in Washington (and who asked for anonymity in order to keep his organization out of a story about UFOs). In his experience of working through over 300 nuclear alerts, “at most” three or four missiles went into “no-go” status.

He adds, “If these guys are telling the truth, an entire flight of ten sorties dropping into no-go status is a pretty significant event from a deterrence perspective.” It might also explain how little green men might look like a compelling theory of what went wrong.

But the officers didn’t face a particularly skeptical crowd. There were as many well-wishers at the Press Club as there were journalists in a conference attended by about 30 people, congratulating them on their bravery. One gentleman took the mic to confess that he had been “a contactee” in Santa Monica in 1986 and 1997. “I can affirm this phenomenon is real,” he said. Another journalist asked the panel whether it was “time to admit that there are other spiritual beings in the universe.”

Along the same lines, Hastings suggested that the major threat that the aliens pose is to the close-minded. “I don’t think humankind is in jeopardy from whoever they are or whatever they are, except that we will have our minds expanded,” he said. “There will be a paradigm shift. Traditional institutions such as religions, governments, other social institutions may be threatened by what is coming. That is just the logical consequence of what is about to occur.”

If people will allow themselves to listen, that is. Dwynne Arneson, a Vietnam veteran who served at Malmstrom alongside Jamison during the the 1967 incident, lamented that the anxieties of the age are proving dangerously distracting. “People are so wrapped up nowadays in their own world,” he observed. “They’re worried about jobs. They’re worried about mortgages. They could care less about UFOs and ETs and paranormal events.”

Story photo: A shot of the Apollo 16 module, commonly mistaken for a UFO, courtesy of NASA

Homepage photo: A scene from ‘Signs.’

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-29 12:38:02 »

Quote:
Earth is being monitored by intergalactic hippies
[letheomaniac] Er, far out man?

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print