logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 21:36:27 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Methane based life on Titan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Methane based life on Titan?  (Read 906 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Methane based life on Titan?
« on: 2010-06-06 15:32:25 »

[Mo]I'm a bit skeptical, but who knows? it could be exciting to find other life within our same star system. We'll see.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1284013/Do-aliens-live-Saturn-moon.html

Scientists find a 'hint of life' on Saturn's moon Titan
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 7:33 AM on 5th June 2010

Quote:
Scientists have found evidence that there is life on Saturn's biggest moon, Titan.
They have discovered clues that primitive aliens are breathing in Titan's atmosphere and feeding on fuel at the surface.
The startling discoveries, made using an orbiting spacecraft, are revealed in two separate reports.

full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1284013/Do-aliens-live-Saturn-moon.html

« Last Edit: 2010-06-06 15:34:17 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Methane based life on Titan?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-07 08:46:42 »

I was reading blog summaries and this one caught my eye. Nice summary paragraph about the alleged hydrogen implications for life. My bold highlight follows:

Quote:
The latest findings have been compiled into two papers and according to them, there is evidence that the presence of hydrogen in the upper layers of the atmosphere slowly disappears as you go down - pointing towards the evidence of Hydrogen being used up by living beings present on the surface of the moon. This points toward a life form that is different from the water based life for as we know it on Earth. Life forms on the Titan, as the report states, would be methane based.

While it might be heartening to note that there could be possibility of life on a moon not far from the Earth (in astronomical terms), the Titan is still a toxic hell for us humans to be there. *However, in about 4 billion years time, when the Sun expands and becomes a red giant, parching the Earth and killing all life forms in it, the Titan could prove to be a second abode and a virtual paradise.

[Mo] * I found this last part above humorous and I don't think it was intended that way. We haven't been here but about 10,000 years as the species we are today and we're talking about something we are allegedly going to do billions of years from now? What makes us so sure that we'll even be here in less than a million years? Perhaps we should get past the next 10,000 years before we start making any serious billion-year plans. I'm all for vision of course, but there comes a point we've clearly crossed into fantasy and that paragraph clearly does.

full article: http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Signs_of_Life_Found_on_Saturns_Moon_Titan/551-111640-547.html

-Mo
« Last Edit: 2010-06-07 08:54:45 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: