logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-10 12:01:25 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

A Tutulemma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: A Tutulemma  (Read 683 times)
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
A Tutulemma
« on: 2007-10-03 15:58:01 »

If you went outside at exactly the same time every day and took a picture that included the Sun, how would the Sun appear to move? With great planning and effort, such a series of images can be taken. The figure-8 path the Sun follows over the course of a year is called an analemma. With even greater planning and effort, the series can include a total eclipse of the Sun as one of the images. Pictured is such a total solar eclipse analemma or Tutulemma - a term coined by the photographers based on the Turkish word for eclipse. The composite image sequence was recorded from Turkey starting in 2005. The base image for the sequence is from the total phase of a solar eclipse as viewed from Side, Turkey on 2006 March 29. Venus was also visible during totality, toward the lower right.

Walter
Report to moderator   Logged

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:A Tutulemma
« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-04 04:03:37 »

Now that is the most beautiful and interesting amateur astronomical picture i have seen in years. Thanks Walter

Kindest Regards

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
DJ dAndroid
Archon

Rate DJ dAndroid

Ballet Mechanique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007-10-04 07:53:38 »

Given a few more years(?) it may approximate a DNA spiral! Very cool picture.

Shouldn't robots have the same right as humans to have gender and express their sexuality?
_Clayton Bailey_
http://www.claytonbailey.com/monrobot.htm
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007-10-04 08:57:34 »

Apropos of something, the story of how this was made is contained at http://www.spaceweather.com/glossary/tutulemma.htm (infra) which appears to hold an earlier version with the "Credit and copyright" asserted by Tunc Tezel and Cenk Erim Tezel. I concluded that primary credit for the vision and design of this photograph should go to Tunc Tezel.

As far as I know, this is the first picture of an analemma with an eclipse--at least, a proper one, not an illustration.  I call it a "Tutulemma," a combination of analemma and tutulma (pronounced to-tool-ma), the Turkish word for eclipse.

Analemma photography is a difficult sport. At least a year of careful calculation and positioning of a camera at a good position is necessary. And the long duration and narrow windows of available photograpy time with many other technical problems make it very difficult. So, I decided to make a composite. At this point, I have to express my respect to single-film, multi-exposure achievers of the image, starting with Dennis DiCicco and ending with Anthony Ayiomamitis. Or should it be apologies?

My house is in Bursa, Turkey. But the total solar eclipse of 29th March 2006 would not be visible from home, but about 500 km south, from Antalya. So I had to calculate the exact position of an analemma containing the total eclipse visible from Antalya. So the aim was to find the time of day that an analemma in Bursa would be positioned exactly the same angle as an analemma in (or around) Antalya at 13:56 local summer time.

The solar eclipse would be total around Antalya between 13:55-13:58 GMT+3. The calculations pointed 14:26 GMT+3 or 13:26 GMT+2. I constructed a styrofoam formwork on a chimney on the rooftom of our apartment block, for the digital SLR to be positioned at the intended part of the sky. And I started photography on 17th July 2005. I took 26 pictures of the Sun from the rooftop on these dates: 17, 28th July; 3, 14, 23rd August; 1, 11, 20, 25, 30th September; 9, 20, 27th October; 8, 22nd November; 3, 13, 21, 28th December 2005; 9, 18, 29th January; 4, 21st February; 4, 19th March 2006. A good spread of days, especially in Fall months. And then came the total solar eclipse... It was my second totality, again in Turkey. (The first one was in 1999, of course.)

After the eclipse, my day job came in the way. I temporarily moved to a jobsite (as a civil engineer) away from home; so I could not take any more sun pictures. What would happen to the project? Fortunately, after the eclipse, I did not have to take any pictures for about 3-4 weeks, as I had taken a good picture of the Sun at the crossover point of the analemma, on 1st September 2005. Then another idea came:

My brother Cenk could take the remaining pictures from the same spot. That he did precisely: He took 5 pictures on 23rd April; 9, 28th May; 16th June and 2nd July. The intervals were longer, but still good for me.

Then came the composite. It was a time-consuming process with Adobe Photoshop 7. After that process, the distorted images nicely fit each other. The analemma over Bursa was ready. But my aim was the Tutulemma over Side, Antalya. So, I put the picture that I had taken in the first minute of 3-minute-46-second totality, at 13:56 GMT+3 to the background. After some nip-tuck, here is the result: Tutulemma. Analemma with the beautiful total solar eclipse of 2006.

This long explanation of the composite is why I have to pay respect (and apologies) to analemma photographers.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: