logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-17 21:04:49 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Organ donor...Y/N?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Organ donor...Y/N?  (Read 735 times)
Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
Organ donor...Y/N?
« on: 2007-05-19 19:12:38 »

Would you give your organs to people after you've died? It could save lives.... or wouldn't you?

I wouldn't mind saving lives, but I'm creeped out in being frankensteined after I die and also that parts of my body would be living on in some complete stranger. And yet, if someone I knew needed a kidney or a piece of liver or skin or something and we were compatible, something I don't need and I'm alive in this scenario, I'd give it to them in a heartbeat.

What would you do?
Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Organ donor...Y/N?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-05-19 19:59:23 »

When you are dead you are dead. It is irreversible and you no longer care what happens. This means that it there is no cost for you to be altruistic, no matter how much of a shit you were in life. To me, the following disposal options seem good in order of most good/least resource drain/pollution to least good/worst resource cost/pollution. Note that not all the options are mutually exclusive and that the preferred objects tend to cost less:
1) Donor - anything that can be used.
2) Cadaver for medical training
3) Body world specimen for public education
4) Buried at a shallow depth naked under a tree as fertilizer
5) Put through a blender then spread in a garden as fertilizer
6) Dumped in LN2 and pulverized then dumped in a garden as fertilizer
7) Buried in a cemetery (no fancy box though they probably will insist on something) but where your minerals are not useful for anything.
8) Incinerated
9) Preserved in LN2 as a corpsicle
10)Mummified and put on public display

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

Never underestimate the odds.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-05-20 14:23:38 »

I would tend to agree with Hermit, but that the above options be used only in respect to ones will, or, if unavailable, the next of kins (except perhaps those who have such liberties restricted); but unless you plan on cryopreserving your cadaver it may as well be put to some further useage. Either way you won't know a thing.
« Last Edit: 2007-05-20 14:24:27 by Nin` » Report to moderator   Logged

I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. - Gatsu
teh
Adept

Rate teh

I'm still still learning

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2007-05-20 22:06:37 »

Organ donation: The best use of my body after the brain seizes to function.

I might even go one step further and contemplate the use of my body for donation when science is advanced enough to be able to predict the certain impossibility of my brain recovering from a vegetative state.

The reasoning is pretty simple: "I", what I equate to myself can no longer feel nor think it. Therefore let someone in need of the body, organs or cells use it in whatever way they deem appropriate.

On the other hand, I've always thought it a good idea to use cadavers in the media, movies mainly. Many a movie have been made using pigs guts and blood (amongst other special effects materials & methods) to resemble human entrails to good effect.

Where movies always fall flat are in their depiction of human cadavers. (there are exceptions of course, eg. certain scenes from Cannibal Holocaust ). Imagine Saving Private Ryan infamous D-Day beach invasion scene re-shot using real cadavers, or any scene where a person falls off the roof of a building leaving a clean picturesque body laying on the pavement with a neat and tidy blood stain slowly growing like a halo around the head, what if that scene was filmed using a real cadaver that splatted messily!

Wouldn't that make people think twice before contemplating killing another in war or peace time? or somehow get people to rethink the "hilarity factor" or "coolness" of death in some movies?

heh, Oh, who am I kidding, I just want to be in a movie even after my death!, more important I'd pre-sell my cadaver to a movie studio, get rich and get to use the line "I'm a movie star" with the girls.

On a more serious and less demented note, I doubt the movie scenario would ever come to fruition for many a reason, unlike organ donation which is a true necessity in this current era of medicine. I look forward to the near future, the era of affordable & reliable organ cloning and gene-therapy (not forgetting nano-technology & bio-cybernetics). Hopefully, soon after, genetic science would have progressed enough for self healing/improvement.

(p.s. I have thought of donating the body to AI researchers to implant an AI, but I looked in the mirror and realised that the AI would probably go on a killing spree as revenge for implanting it into such a body, if it ever managed to get off the couch that is!)
teh
Adept

Rate teh

I'm still still learning

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2007-05-25 16:57:34 »

[teh]
Quote:
On the other hand, I've always thought it a good idea to use cadavers in the media, movies mainly.

Oh, and how could I forget, "Weekend at Bernie's". A perfect cadaver movie! (Although a sequel using a real cadaver may get a little tricky)

[Fox]
Quote:
but unless you plan on cryopreserving your cadaver it may as well be put to some further useage

I'd get rid of the body (personal choice) and cryogenically preserve the brain in anticipation for the time when the technology exists to read, scan and interpret my memories, thought pathways etcetera for upload into an artificial body.

It would have to be an artificial body of some sort , at the very least not an unmodified clone.
Possibly an enhanced clone with the latest model fashion accessories. (enhanced senses, enhanced brain with appropriate acclimatisation algorithms for a smooth transition from old thought to new though, of course! oh, oh, lets not forget chromo-morphing for those blonde moments)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2007-05-25 17:23:41 »

Quote from: teh on 2007-05-25 16:57:34   

I'd get rid of the body (personal choice) and cryogenically preserve the brain in anticipation for the time when the technology exists to read, scan and interpret my memories, thought pathways etcetera for upload into an artificial body.

[Blunderov] Bugger. I think you may have just sunk my recent opinion that there is no 'hard problem' without trace.

If I was able to upload the entire information content of my brain into another matrix and then kill my original brain, would the new matrix still be the same "me"? Somehow I suspect not.

Dang dualism.
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2007-05-29 12:15:38 »

[Blunderov] Organ donations can be highly contentious. For instance our Witchdoctor-in-Chief, Manto Shabalala found herself a suitable liver donor with days of requiring one. My stepfather, on the other hand, had to wait for years to no avail and died. Then there are the Chinese who harvest organs from those wretches who have been executed by the mobile lethal injection vans. And there is a world wide illegal organs and and transplant clinic "red market" for those rich enough to bypass the usual controls and regulations. As with all human affairs, things can get very messy.

TV contestants to compete for woman's kidneys

Kate Connolly
Tuesday May 29, 2007
The Guardian

A Dutch reality television show in which a terminally ill woman is to select one of three contestants to receive her kidneys when she dies is to air this week despite criticism that it pushes the boundaries of the format too far.
The government has called for De Grote Donorshow (The Big Donor show) to be dropped because it is "unethical" and "wretched" but the broadcaster BNN said it would go ahead to highlight the difficulties of searching for kidney donors.

In the show, due to be broadcast on Friday, a woman identified only as Lisa, 37, will select a recipient based on their history, profile and conversations with their families and friends. Throughout the 80-minute show, viewers will be invited to send Lisa text messages to advise her.

The ruling coalition parties the Christian Democrats and the Christian Union have condemned the show.

But BNN's chairman, Laurens Drillich, said the show would increase by a third the participants' chances of getting a new kidney. "The chance for a kidney for the contestants is 33%," he said. "This is much higher than that for people on a waiting list. You would expect it to be better, but it is worse."

BNN said it wanted to focus on the plight of kidney sufferers as a tribute to its founder, Bart de Graaff, who died of kidney failure five years ago in spite of several transplants.

There is evidence that an increasing number of Dutch viewers have been turning away from reality TV, of which the Netherlands is a pioneer, because they believe the subject matter too risque. One show to come under the spotlight is Spuiten en Slikken (Shooting and Swallowing) in which the presenters experiment with drugs and a range of sexual exploits.

Patty's Fort celebrated colonic irrigation, with the scatological remains shown in full on screen.

But attempts in 2005 to launch a sperm donor show, in which a woman was to select a father for her baby in front of the cameras, collapsed following a huge public outcry.

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: