logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-17 17:52:28 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Scientist lives 13 days underwater on algae-generated oxygen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Scientist lives 13 days underwater on algae-generated oxygen  (Read 350 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« on: 2007-04-19 02:38:15 »

[Blunderov] 21st Century Diogenes?

Posted Apr 18th 2007 8:00PM by Ian Smith
Filed under: Internet

Australian scientist Lloyd Godson emerged today from 13 days of isolation in a steel box at the bottom of a lake. During the time he spent in the yellow colored BioSUB he generated his own electricity by riding a stationary bike and cultivated an algae garden to maintain his air supply. His free time was spent using his laptop - watching videos and answering fan e-mails via a wireless internet connection.

The nine square meter capsule used an Israeli-developed "Biocoil" system to create oxygen by soaking algae in Mr. Godson's urine. Solar panels assisted the electricity generation and food was delivered regularly by divers. The whole project was intended to provide data on the various practical and mental pressures that come with living in an alien environment such as a submarine, spacecraft, or cubicle farm.

Although he wouldn't comment on how he intended to spend his massive amounts of geek-cred, Mr. Godson did comment on his mental state: "It starts to play on your mind a bit after 12 days. You start to get a bit of cabin fever, but you know I handled it surprisingly well. I thought it was going to drive me a bit more nuts than it did."

[via TechNudge]

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: