logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-05-09 00:18:26 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Religion vs IQ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Religion vs IQ  (Read 791 times)
Cydonia
Acolyte

Rate Cydonia

-_-
Cydonia000
View Profile
Religion vs IQ
« on: 2005-03-21 16:58:36 »

I am skeptical of the validity of this, but it is interesting and hopefully provides discussion:

http://w-uh.com/posts/031226a-religion_vs_IQ.html
Report to moderator   Logged

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or instant message. YaBBC code may be be used in your signature.
Rhysenn
Initiate

Rate Rhysenn

Empress544
View Profile E-Mail
Re:Religion vs IQ
« Reply #1 on: 2005-03-22 09:49:56 »

If any country has an average IQ of 65, i think it indicates that the IQ tests are highly skewed. It could be a poor country with a poor education system, i suppose. But even if this is valid, then i don't think we can conclude that people who are religious aren't as smart as those who aren't. But rather perhaps something like countries that are strongly religious in general are either economically disadvantaged or place less value on secular education. They do discuss this, and it seems to me that given the kind of data they took causality #2 is most plausible. However, if they took individuals with different IQs from similar socio-economic backgrounds, maybe they would be able to draw more conclusions from it.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2005-03-22 14:00:43 »

The IQ data comes from Intelligence and the Wealth and Poverty of Nations.

Quote:
National IQs assessed by the Progressive Matrices were calculated for 60 nations and examined in relation to per capita incomes in the late 1990s and to post World War Two rates of economic growth. It was found that national IQs are correlated at 0.757 with real GDP (Gross Domestic Product) per capita 1998 and 0.706 with per capita GNP (Gross National Product) 1998; and at 0.605 with the growth of per capita GDP 1950-90 and 0.643 with growth of per capita GNP 1976-98. The results are interpreted in terms of a causal model in which population IQs are the major determinant of the wealth and poverty of nations in the contemporary world.
[AVH]
Acolyte

Rate [AVH]

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-26 10:16:42 »

Quote:
    IQ tests are objective. A bushman can be a genius in his own life, he may be able to build and figure out things that others in his village have no clue... His lack of knowledge about medicine/engineering does not make him less intelligent than say a pencil pusher at an accounting firm, that pluggs numbers all day and cannot change the oil in his car.

Are you sure you mean 'objective'? I think these tests are subjective; it's just because a bushman can be more intelligent than e.g. a teacher, that IQ is a subjective intelligence measurement system.

The fact that people become 'smarter' every year has nothing to do with their INTELLIGENCE, it has to do with their INSIGHT. People aren't getting more intelligent, they have more insight in abstract problems! That's because we come to contact with such problems daily.

A bushman may be able to solve abstract problems too if you'd learn him to work with the computer, for example, which is - I think - quite an ideal medium to learn to deduct and think abstractly.

IQ isn't a good system, I think, but what is? Intelligence is relative, and I don't think it's measurable either.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: