logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-28 21:20:31 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Intelligence could saturate the universe, says Kurzweil
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Intelligence could saturate the universe, says Kurzweil  (Read 999 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Intelligence could saturate the universe, says Kurzweil
« on: 2002-12-12 10:01:59 »

KurzweilAI.net, Dec. 12, 2002

Based on the exponential growth of computational capacity, if we could overcome the speed-of-light limitation, intelligence would spread to the entire universe within 300 years, said Ray Kurzweil, speaking at Edge's REBOOTING CIVILIZATION II meeting.

Within that time, we would "multiply current computational capacities by a factor of 1090, and thus exceed Seth Lloyd's estimate of 1090 bits in the Universe."

Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Intelligence could saturate the universe, says Kurzweil
« Reply #1 on: 2002-12-13 14:00:33 »

I have to remain somewhat skeptical that intelligence, artificial and otherwise simply has to do with computiational speed and capacity.  I can grant that this presents one component of intelligence, or perhaps even an outgrowth of intelligence, but it does not constitute the essence of intelligence.  In addition to computational capacity, IMO this capacity needs not just merely interfaces, but actual integration into the larger environment in which it exists before we can truly call this intelligence in any meaningful sense.  Some Moore's Law enthusiasts seem to think that it all comes down to computaional speed.  But speed is of little use if the entitity lacks a sufficiently meaningful experiential map within which to use it.

-Jake

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2002-12-13 15:29:45 »

Quote from: Jake Sapiens on 2002-12-13 14:00:33   

I have to remain somewhat skeptical that intelligence, artificial and otherwise simply has to do with computiational speed and capacity.

I'm surprised you picked on that and left alone "if we could overcome the speed-of-light limitation". 
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2002-12-14 02:59:44 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2002-12-13 15:29:45   

Quote from: Jake Sapiens on 2002-12-13 14:00:33   

I have to remain somewhat skeptical that intelligence, artificial and otherwise simply has to do with computiational speed and capacity.

I'm surprised you picked on that and left alone "if we could overcome the speed-of-light limitation". 

I guess, I am just a first things first kind of guy.  Computational speed seems like something we are currently conquering, whereas as the speed of light seems like a less imminent conquest. -Jake

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2002-12-14 13:32:45 »

Quote from: Jake Sapiens on 2002-12-14 02:59:44   

I guess, I am just a first things first kind of guy.  Computational speed seems like something we are currently conquering, whereas as the speed of light seems like a less imminent conquest. -Jake

OK, first things first. I don't think Kurzweil is implying intelligence simply has to do with computiational speed and capacity any more than he is implying that intelligence simply has to do with the speed of light.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: