logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-26 16:41:33 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Virian Book Club

Dont judge a book by the movie.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Dont judge a book by the movie.  (Read 1836 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Dont judge a book by the movie.
« on: 2006-10-29 15:45:53 »

A thread for movies based on books.

I dont know when this will be released, but Perfume: Story of a Murderer* seems promising. An odd story, the movie version is directed by Peter Greenaway, the guy who made The Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover and Pillow Book. Like his other works, I expect this one to be visually rich..of course, we all know that the controversial book** is already disturbing.

http://www.perfumemovie.com
** http://www.amazon.com/Perfume-Story-Murderer-Vintage-International/dp/0375725849

Inside Flap Copy
An acclaimed bestseller and international sensation, Patrick Suskind's classic novel provokes a terrifying examination of what happens when one man's indulgence in his greatest passion-his sense of smell-leads to murder.

In the slums of eighteenth-century France, the infant Jean-Baptiste Grenouille is born with one sublime gift-an absolute sense of smell. As a boy, he lives to decipher the odors of Paris, and apprentices himself to a prominent perfumer who teaches him the ancient art of mixing precious oils and herbs. But Grenouille's genius is such that he is not satisfied to stop there, and he becomes obsessed with capturing the smells of objects such as brass doorknobs and frest-cut wood. Then one day he catches a hint of a scent that will drive him on an ever-more-terrifying quest to create the "ultimate perfume"-the scent of a beautiful young virgin. Told with dazzling narrative brillance, Perfume is a hauntingly powerful tale of murder and sensual depravity.

Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Dont judge a book by the movie.
« Reply #1 on: 2006-10-29 17:17:07 »

[Blunderov] I like Peter Greenaway a lot. Obssessed with obsession, especially obscession with text. One of his that I haven't been able able to find on DVD is "Prospero's Books" which I only ever saw once. Another good early one was "The Belly of an Architect".

Somebody once remarked that Greenaway has an unique ability to get the leading actresses of the day to take their kit off for his camera. To be fair, he also depicts a lot more penises than is usual too.

Best regards.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: